F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > More 330d PPK Questions (Sorry)
ARMA SPEED

03-15-2015, 06:32 PM   #89
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

Isn't it odd that comparison sites don't ask for factory options when quoting?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 06:45 PM   #90
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Indeed, so you need to know exactly what you are getting into, always check out the insurers website direct..

Also

insurance is another topic altogether touching way more areas than just ppk!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 07:21 AM   #91
BavarianBob
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d

Don't get me wrong on this insurance point ~ I certainly don't want to offend anyone. The thrust of my logic is the underlying necessity of correct and proper insurance cover.

Without car insurance we'd have anarchy, which is clearly unacceptable. I am just trying to inject logic into the equation.

As for hijacking the thread..? Not sure that's a fair comment since it's implied that you cannot have the MPPK without clearance from your insurer.

Once the question has been asked of one's insurers, Pandora's Box has been opened and there's no going back. So, I have already laid the ground and set up a quote with BMW Insurance as we know they don't "react" unfavourably to this fitment.

I will tell my insurers, of course, as it is the honourable thing to do. I get the distinct impression that it will depend a lot on the description of, and how this "OPTION" is worded. An "Approved and recognised BMW Factory option fitted by the BMW dealer who sold me the car", seems the best way.

I will report back as to any change of premium.

I appreciate all your responses and thank you all for being so candid and helpful.

Best wishes all,

Bob
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 07:31 AM   #92
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

Except it is NOT a factory option. You can not spec this to be fitted in the factory, it is not on the configurator as a factory option.

It is a BMW M Performance aftermarket dealer product, fitted at your dealership - whether that is when you pick up your car or not, it is not an option available on the car from the factory.

And yes Insurance really is off topic as this thread is about the PPK, not the insurance implications that come from doing anything aftermarket. It does not read that you cannot have the MPPK without insurer approval, you can do what you like to your car, its whether you declare it or not. I was simply posting my findings with Tesco.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2015, 07:33 AM   #93
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Looks like it's a non-starter for me - my car is via Salary Sacrifice and payments cover lease, servicing and insurance. Have spoken to Lex who have said engine modifications post-purchase are not allowed - nothing to stop me doing it anyway (I won't though), partly because the payments are fixed.

If I had chosen the option when I got the car, it would have been OK as the cost would have been baked into my payments. I will try Lex again in case I get a different view, but suspect not.

Thanks all for tips as to dealers to try etc. One to get for next car in March 2017.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 07:35 AM   #94
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

Bugger
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 07:39 AM   #95
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
Bugger
Yep :-(
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 12:41 PM   #96
Gorsh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d F31 Luxury sDrive

Just been thinking through getting the PPk for my car and a thought regarding the wheels has occurred to me. I have the (standard luxury spec) 18" 416 wheels for summer and 17" 395 wheels fitted with winter tyres - will these 17" wheels be OK with the front brake upgrade? I hope so as they were bought new with the car. Any confirmation or not about this would be appreciated. I could (and will) ask my dealer about this before pulling the trigger but I expect someone on here will know the answer. Thanks.

For Weekends and sunny days:
981 Boxster GTS
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 12:43 PM   #97
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorsh View Post
Just been thinking through getting the PPk for my car and a thought regarding the wheels has occurred to me. I have the (standard luxury spec) 18" 416 wheels for summer and 17" 395 wheels fitted with winter tyres - will these 17" wheels be OK with the front brake upgrade? I hope so as they were bought new with the car. Any confirmation or not about this would be appreciated. I could (and will) ask my dealer about this before pulling the trigger but I expect someone on here will know the answer. Thanks.
No you need 18's I believe that's minimum for the upgraded disks.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2015, 01:17 PM   #98
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

Its wiped all my coding!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 01:57 PM   #99
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

So just a quick 10 minute run up the road and

If you are thinking about it don't just get it done! There is a very noticeable increase in the amount of grunt, particularly mid range and the way the speed now piles on is addictive.

I honestly didn't expect it to feel that good considering the modest power claims but just a short drive confirms its money well spent. Very happy and can't wait for a longer trip!

Now, wheres my Enet cable!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 02:03 PM   #100
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So just a quick 10 minute run up the road and

If you are thinking about it don't just get it done! There is a very noticeable increase in the amount of grunt, particularly mid range and the way the speed now piles on is addictive.

I honestly didn't expect it to feel that good considering the modest power claims but just a short drive confirms its money well spent. Very happy and can't wait for a longer trip!

Now, wheres my Enet cable!!!!!
You may not be able to code (except for VO stuff like EBT), see my thread.

I'll call Lex again tomorrow, hoping I get someone more pragmatic :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 02:17 PM   #101
BavarianBob
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d

Quote:
Except it is NOT a factory option. You can not spec this to be fitted in the factory, it is not on the configurator as a factory option.

It is a BMW M Performance aftermarket dealer product, fitted at your dealership - whether that is when you pick up your car or not, it is not an option available on the car from the factory.......
Thank you, yes, I had forgotten the whole point of this to be aftermarket....for if it were a factory option, it would truly muck up the CO & hence probably push the car into the next Vehicle Tax bracket....

In which case I will amend this to "An approved and recognised BMW Aftermarket Product purchased from and fitted by the BMW dealer who sold me the car".

BB
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 02:44 PM   #102
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

Yep spot on mate that's pretty much what I said. Not all insurers are the same, some won't care, some will stick a premium increase on and some will just say no, I was unlucky with the latter so had to cancel mid policy. Mind you got 17 years no claims so no biggy don't really lose out! Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 03:05 PM   #103
Buttons
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

On the basis that different people say different things, even from the same ins company, do people ask them to follow up in writing?
What if one Doris said it was fine but another Doris in charge of payments said no!

Bridgend: hope you don't mind me hijacking your Doris reference, it did make me chuckle
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 03:18 PM   #104
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
You may not be able to code (except for VO stuff like EBT), see my thread.
I thought that and I hope not! However, my passenger side blind spot warning had been a bit pissed lately so a reset might help!

Also he memory seats didn't go back when I re imported my profile so gonna be a while of small adjustments to get it right again!

Still all worth it though!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 03:21 PM   #105
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianBob
Quote:

It is a BMW M Performance aftermarket dealer product, fitted at your dealership - whether that is when you pick up your car or not, it is not an option available on the car from the factory.......
Thank you, yes, I had forgotten the whole point of this to be aftermarket....for if it were a factory option, it would truly muck up the CO & hence probably push the car into the next Vehicle Tax bracket....

In which case I will amend this to "An approved and recognised BMW Aftermarket Product purchased from and fitted by the BMW dealer who sold me the car".

BB
Funnily enough, the tax bracket is what the Lex person said - if it takes the car over the 130 whatever units for CO2, it's no longer eligible for Salary Sacrifice, sigh!

So, I need another answer from Lex and in writing plus also something from BMW to say the new CO2 figure with MPPK - grrr!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 03:23 PM   #106
Buttons
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

Sorry, I led the thread off topic again......

My 330d is in for PPK to be fitted next week and I can't wait!
Last time car was in, they gave me a 320d courtesy car which although there was nothing wrong with it, it did make me appreciate my extra 2 pots when I swapped back.
REALLY can't wait till next time!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 03:24 PM   #107
mactrack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G42 M240iX

Quote:
Funnily enough, the tax bracket is what the Lex person said - if it takes the car over the 130 whatever units for CO2, it's no longer eligible for Salary Sacrifice, sigh!

So, I need another answer from Lex and in writing plus also something from BMW to say the new CO2 figure with MPPK - grrr!
Taken from the official BMW product release;

"Comparable consumption despite higher performance: fuel consumption and emissions levels in the ECE driving cycle correspond to those of the basic engine, even though the M Performance Power Kit achieves virtually the performance of more powerful engines."

as kindly linked to on the first page of this thread;

http://www.matlawrence.com/images/bmw/powerkit.pdf
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 03:26 PM   #108
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactrack
Quote:

Taken from the official BMW product release;

"Comparable consumption despite higher performance: fuel consumption and emissions levels in the ECE driving cycle correspond to those of the basic engine, even though the M Performance Power Kit achieves virtually the performance of more powerful engines."

as kindly linked to on the first page of this thread;

http://www.matlawrence.com/images/bmw/powerkit.pdf
One down, one to go - cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 03:33 PM   #109
mactrack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G42 M240iX

More pleased punters are making me want this more again but I did have another related though which had not crossed my mind before. I purchased my car outright and, as with all my previous cars, I will sell it privately when the time comes.

Now whenever I see a car advertised with any sort of power upgrade, or any non-OEM modification for that matter, I immediately think of a thrashed car/engine and would walk away. What are other people's perceptions in this regard although I appreciate that those who frequent on here are likely to view this aspect differently to the average second hand car buyer.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 03:46 PM   #110
Gorsh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d F31 Luxury sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
No you need 18's I believe that's minimum for the upgraded disks.
Oh dear! I just can't justify another set of winter wheels and tyres, so I'll pass on the PPK in that case. I must say the car is very good as it is - just all the talk on here about the PPK makes you want it Maybe when the warranty is coming to an end I will get a tuning box or remap but I won't chance it just yet at 2 months and 2500 miles. On a positive note it saves me £1800

For Weekends and sunny days:
981 Boxster GTS
Appreciate 0