F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Tyre tear and in deepest Devon
ARMA SPEED

01-01-2018, 10:09 AM   #1
Glenn1981
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LCI 2015.5 335D XDrive M Sport

Tyre tear and in deepest Devon

Hello all

So driving today the sensor came on and the front passenger side tyre started rapidly losing pressure. Inspected the tyre and saw that there is a 2 inch tear in the sidewall which isn’t ideal as I am on holiday in Devon. Have manag d to park the car outside the local dealer in Barnstaple and will go back in the morning, I thought this would be better than a random tyre place down here in terms of stock.

Just looking tonight and I can get a mobile fitter to come and do it for £460 for the 2 fronts, Bridgestone s001 RFT but they can’t do till 3rd in the afternoon. What are BMW likely to charge me, anyone bought from them before? Do I get discount with my service plan?

There is an ATS, Kwil Fit and loads of Indy’s, but how far can I drive with the RFT in this condition?

Any other ideas, or anyone know the Barnstaple/South Molton area?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 10:48 AM   #2
skipraider
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 BMW 335i

Could you not take the opportunity to switch away from the Bridgestone rft? Maybe to Goodyear rft if you wanted to stay run-flat. Not much help to your problem, but they might have stock of other brands.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 10:50 AM   #3
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

People like ATS will probably match the on-line price and can probably get you a couple of tyres the same day. I would try them and drive your car slowly to them.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 10:57 AM   #4
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

£230 per tyre fitted is top dollar pricing - at that price I'd expect same day treatment.

You should be able to get up to 50 miles on a flat RFT. However I would definitely not advise doing that, the further you drive the more likely you are to damage the wheel, and the TPMS sensor (if fitted).

If you're sticking with runflats then I'd be surprised if at least one local chain garage didn't have them (remember that most online quotes are supplied from a central warehouse - not from local stock). Another option is to replace just the wrecked tyre and do the other at a more convenient time, that'll prove to be a bit cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 08:21 AM   #5
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
If the tyre is torn, I'd suggest not driving it anywhere unless you fancy trashing the alloys.

No tyre, run flat or not, can deal with a gash in the sidewall.

Personally, I'd just suck it up and get the mobile guy to come to you. Won't be your cheapest option for tyres for sure, but you also won't fuck your wheel up, which would be a more costly repair.

One caveat there - if you're at a dealer, see if they can lend you a wheel so you can at least drive somewhere else to have them replaced.

Looking online, seems you'r only about 500m from a place called Bathwick Tyres 01271 324406