F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Speeding ticket
Studio RSR

01-18-2018, 04:49 PM   #23
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedawg View Post
In the corrupt NYC traffic courts Lawyers never win! They are only worth there weight in money spent if you get a DWI or super excessive speeding(racing). But generally with speeding here in NYC, fuggetaboutit!!!!

If your state allows you to speak to a DA that hangs around the traffic court then speak to the DA to get the fine reduced to a seatbelt or something. You'll save $ vs getting an attorney.

NYC(5 Boroughs) is very very tough. NY State is a lot more lenient compared to the city where you can plea bargain by having a DA or an attorney.
NYC cops have time to write speeding tix???
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 06:21 PM   #24
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
NYC cops have time to write speeding tix???
One of the many ways the city makes revenue to rob from its millions of folks living here. Crooks! Speeding cameras all over the city and the Elite NYPD HWY Patrol on the parkways and Expressways. NYState Hwy Patrol has been added for the tunnels and bridges and NYC Hwys and expressways as well and I see they are out writing speeding tickets in the (NYC)5 boroughs as well. That is new over the past year. Theres a ton of cash for the city and state to make off the NYC drivers.NYC is a cash cow full of drivers.
      01-18-2018, 09:51 PM   #25
Digital_83
OO=[][]=OO
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F36 430xD M Sport/THP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedawg View Post
One of the many ways the city makes revenue to rob from its millions of folks living here. Crooks! Speeding cameras all over the city and the Elite NYPD HWY Patrol on the parkways and Expressways. NYState Hwy Patrol has been added for the tunnels and bridges and NYC Hwys and expressways as well and I see they are out writing speeding tickets in the (NYC)5 boroughs as well. That is new over the past year. Theres a ton of cash for the city and state to make off the NYC drivers.NYC is a cash cow full of drivers.
Watch out for Belt Parkway (Verrazano bridge approach, both ways).
It seems like it’s under 24/7 scanning these days..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 07:21 AM   #26
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

I ran into the opposite issue lol. I got my BMW and then got a ticket a month later while driving my beater Subaru to the airport. First ticket in several years and definitely didn't expect it to happen while on cruise control in a wagon.

When I lived in Kentucky they have a cool rule where you can get 1 ticket a year and do traffic school instead of having a speeding ticket on your record. Kind of like a grace period while the state still gets paid. No reporting to insurance either. Not so lucky in Ohio though, so I have a lawyer going through the court proceedings for me. I figured for a $300 flat fee it was worth a shot. Hoping for the best outcome.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 07:26 PM   #27
emilioj728
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i xdrive msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
I ran into the opposite issue lol. I got my BMW and then got a ticket a month later while driving my beater Subaru to the airport. First ticket in several years and definitely didn't expect it to happen while on cruise control in a wagon.

When I lived in Kentucky they have a cool rule where you can get 1 ticket a year and do traffic school instead of having a speeding ticket on your record. Kind of like a grace period while the state still gets paid. No reporting to insurance either. Not so lucky in Ohio though, so I have a lawyer going through the court proceedings for me. I figured for a $300 flat fee it was worth a shot. Hoping for the best outcome.
Just received a phone call from the random traffic lawyer I hired from google in Ohio for doing 83 in a 70. Same fee $300 and he got it reduced to no headlights which is no points but a $250 ticket fee. Well worth it if you ask me didn’t have to drive 2 hours from where I live in Michigan for court, 0 points, and insurance doesn’t go up!
Appreciate 2
kern4174445.00
      01-21-2018, 02:20 AM   #28
Dosmgbs
Registered
Rep
Drives: looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque328 View Post
Front plate they will nail you for in CA. Tints they couldn't care less unless you get pulled over for something else.
Unless you run into a max enforcement area. Got nailed for tint on the front windows which was the only reason for the stop. Freaking 70% crystalline. I guess everyone else was behaving that day and they needed to bump the stats up.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 09:20 AM   #29
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

I'd pay the ticket and try to work to eliminate points.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 02:18 PM   #30
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_83 View Post
Come up with some BS story...
... and seriously piss off the judge, who has heard every idiotic excuse a thousand times, including at least one tweaker who says, "I borrowed those pants and didn't know there was a bag of meth in the pocket."
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 02:24 PM   #31
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque328 View Post
What looks retarded to me is when guys are so precious about their front bumper that they get that weird tow hitch license plate frame and have it awkwardly mounted off to the far left on the front bumper. Looks ridiculous. What is such a big deal about drilling the front bumper? Its not a work of art, its a mass produced BMW that like 70% of the population seems to drive, at least around here anyway. Looks much cleaner w/no front plate at all but 'round here, its a big glaring excuse for the man to pull you over. Then maybe they get you for this thing or that thing and maybe you were out having a few beers with friends and whammo.
Tow hook plate mounts also mess with PDC.

I put three neodymium magnets inside the front bumper shell and put one of the rubber magnets that dealers use on the back of my license plate. Takes no time to remove and reinstall. I've driven more than a thousand miles at freeway speeds and it's never come off.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 09:35 PM   #32
Teefard
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 428i

Update - I ended up getting toe hook licence plate, thanks for that info. Cop didn't show so I got the tickets dismissed! Nothing out of pocket luckily
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2018, 10:04 PM   #33
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Pay the ticket, and move on. Stop with the green light racing already. Lesson learned.
Billfitz8215.50
      05-21-2018, 10:13 PM   #34
Teefard
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
Pay the ticket, and move on. Stop with the green light racing already. Lesson learned.
Lol I just said it was dismissed so no need to pay ticket. Lesson still learned though
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 11:19 PM   #35
NormanConquest
That Libertarian Guy
Rep
Drives: 340i

I've had the opposite experience stop five times in my mustang won four out of five cases (my monte carlo ss had a worse record of being pulled over) havent been (fully) stop in my bimmer (just scolded by an officer once) but then again I'm load to the max with anti cop equipment now, front and rear wide angle cameras, 360 radar and laser detectors, rear window shades that not tint, and Gov communication detector.
I was consider getting a blinder but figure that would just piss them off and draw attention
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 01:26 PM   #36
bt1339
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Around here it's very common that when you show up in court, the cops' office offers all people present to take a deal where you pay the fine and you don't get the points. Done that many times...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 02:11 PM   #37
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Meh, I've just always looked at speeding tickets as a cost of BMW ownership.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 03:23 PM   #38
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Before I bought my Durango I had a WRX for a couple months. Discomfort aside, one reason I got rid of it was for being profiled by bay area police. Got pulled over twice in less than an hour and given warnings both times. First one I was stopped at a crosswalk waiting for a woman to cross the road (law in my state is yield to pedestrians) and since I was dropping a couple friends off told em go ahead and just hop out real quick while she crosses. Moto cop lit me up and gave me a spiel about blocking traffic, then looked at my windshield and goes "sorry thought you were an Uber driver, nevermind." On my way home from there, hit some light traffic and getting onto the freeway just merged all the way into the left lane (carpool lane) out of habit (usually ride a motorcycle). CHP happened to see it and lit me up, explained to him I hadn't been paying attention to the time (it was like 3:10, carpool lane rules had just started) and that I usually ride a moto and it was habit and all. Same thing, warning and alright, bye.

Funny thing is I see all kinds of people in the carpool lane who don't belong there daily yet I was the one who got instantly nailed for it. I do worry that buying a BMW will come with a proportional increase in getting pulled over...bleh. I have a perfect driving record for the last 15 years or so. I'd like to keep it that way.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 03:28 PM   #39
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by _bdiddyb_ View Post
@Kafkaesque328, HA! 4+ years in CA with no front plates (knock on wood!). TWICE for limo tint; but I 'had a friend' who took care of it. Tint costs too much to remove. Hell no.
Yeah, I went 3 years in my last car with no front plate and no problems. Ive made peace with it..

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 11:22 PM   #40
bobalis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F33 N55

I must be the luckiest person then. I drive a blacked out car with 20% tints all around, have a black/yellow vanity plate and have aftermarket dp and exhaust and I've yet to get pulled over once since I've had this car. In fact, I haven't been pulled over once since I've moved to LA over 4 years ago.

I drive like (borderline) complete ass too. Today, for example, I drove from my GF's place in Irvine to work in Santa Monica and I got there in an hour. I was going high 80s, low 90s. That's how fast I typically drive on freeways out here and I go unnoticed. In fact, 2 weeks ago I was going 86 and a moto cop pulled in front of me and then just exited the freeway, didn't even look at me.

I'm very worried that I'm jinxing myself by posting this now lol but I feel like cops in LA just don't care if you speed. I pay almost zero attention to posted speed limits on any road and I've yet to have a single issue. Back in Michigan, I got pulled over for doing 10 over on a divided highway and I've been with people who've gotten pulled over for doing 8 over on a surface street. Different driving culture perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 11:37 PM   #41
Teefard
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalis View Post
I must be the luckiest person then. I drive a blacked out car with 20% tints all around, have a black/yellow vanity plate and have aftermarket dp and exhaust and I've yet to get pulled over once since I've had this car. In fact, I haven't been pulled over once since I've moved to LA over 4 years ago.

I drive like (borderline) complete ass too. Today, for example, I drove from my GF's place in Irvine to work in Santa Monica and I got there in an hour. I was going high 80s, low 90s. That's how fast I typically drive on freeways out here and I go unnoticed. In fact, 2 weeks ago I was going 86 and a moto cop pulled in front of me and then just exited the freeway, didn't even look at me.

I'm very worried that I'm jinxing myself by posting this now lol but I feel like cops in LA just don't care if you speed. I pay almost zero attention to posted speed limits on any road and I've yet to have a single issue. Back in Michigan, I got pulled over for doing 10 over on a divided highway and I've been with people who've gotten pulled over for doing 8 over on a surface street. Different driving culture perhaps?
Lol I was literally saying the day before that I hasn't gotten a ticket in years and bam i jinxed myself. I know i drive like an ass for the most so I can't complain to much. You would think you'd be an easy target murdered out like that lol
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 07:23 AM   #42
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalis View Post

Yes, you've probably just jinxed yourself. Never, ever gloat about how lucky you've been, even while driving like an ass etc. Calling out good luck that way is the most sure fire way to end it.

Plus, any questionable driving you do while in a bmw is viewed by an outside observer as being about 12x more douchey than the actual offense. The only way it could be judged more harshly is if you were in a mustang.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 03:11 PM   #43
TXDaddy
Joint Chiefer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i XDrive

Actually just picked up a uniden R1 on fleabay today for $254 with the PMEMDAY sale going on (slickdeals.net pointed out an r3 but they were sold out). I have my drls turned off and my roundels blacked out with cf stickers. The color is pretty unremarkable as well. I have passed 3 cops going way over the limit without recourse, but I figure my luck will soon run out. This car is MAKING me drive fast - especially 80-100 where it barely strains at all getting 30mpg...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 08:12 AM   #44
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Stoplight racing is always a no win scenario for us. If you win you'll get called an a**hole for driving a BMW. If you lose, well, you lose. IN A BMW. Don't play that game.
+1
Appreciate 0