F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > A/C Still Freezing after 3 "repairs"
Studio RSR

05-22-2018, 07:05 PM   #45
hcw5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
How many miles on your car?

Has to be taken in 4 times over the first 24 months from new delivery date for same issue and under 24,000 miles.

Otherwise it falls under other general laws that you will have to fund on an ongoing basis and attorney fees are most likely uncollectable under law because most lawmakers are lawyers who do not want to pass laws where lawsuit loser pays legal fees for both sides as they know that would kill their business and frivolous lawsuits.
I believe it was first purchased in late 2015 so that puts the first 2-3 repair attempts within the first 24 months. I believe it has around 22-23k miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 07:23 PM   #46
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcw5 View Post
I believe it was first purchased in late 2015 so that puts the first 2-3 repair attempts within the first 24 months. I believe it has around 22-23k miles.
As I’ve said before, it doesn’t matter.

You must have 4 attempts to repair WITHIN the first 24 months or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Just because 2-3 occurred in the first 24 months does not meet the Threshold for the Texas Lemon law. Furthermore, even if it did, you must file within 6 months of the threshold, so if you did qualify (you do not), the car would have had to been originally sold later than November 24, 2015 and you would need to file tomorrow (or advance sale date to 12/31/2015 accordingly).
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 08:52 PM   #47
hcw5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post

As IÂ’ve said before, it doesnÂ’t matter.

You must have 4 attempts to repair WITHIN the first 24 months or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Just because 2-3 occurred in the first 24 months does not meet the Threshold for the Texas Lemon law. Furthermore, even if it did, you must file within 6 months of the threshold, so if you did qualify (you do not), the car would have had to been originally sold later than November 24, 2015 and you would need to file tomorrow (or advance sale date to 12/31/2015 accordingly).
hence my saying I would be pursing some type of in house settlement.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 10:55 PM   #48
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
hence my saying I would be pursing some type of in house settlement.
Totally aware.

Just making it clear for those who continue to hark on lemon law.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 12:39 PM   #49
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Its that what AC suppose to do is blow freezing cold air ....no pun intended
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 06:22 PM   #50
hcw5
Enlisted Member
Rep

after the most recent repair attempt on my 328, the ac problem seemed to have been fixed. I had driven all summer without issues. this week I drove 5 hours with no issue (60 degrees, level 1 and level 2 auto fan all drive). a couple days later I drove another 2.5 hours with the same settings and again no issue. today I got about 3.5 hours into the 7.5 hr drive home and of course the issue occurred again. so I shut off the ac and drove with the windows down for about 15 mins hoping to let it thaw. after turning it back on, the ac functioned normally for about 5-10 mins before shutting down again. I repeated the process again with the same results before shutting it down the 3rd time for about 45 mins. after the extended shutdown, the ac functioned normally for the remainder of the drive. the car is back at the dealership, but BMWNA obviously won't do anything since it is used. has anybody successfully lemon'd their car with an attorney outside the basic lemon law standards mentioned previously in the thread? the Texas DMV does mention used cars "may" be subject to lemon law if guidelines are met and the car is under manufacturer original warranty(i meet the 4 repair attempts within 24k miles), but being that it's not a "safety issue", there may be some more legal maneuvering required. just to reiterate it's a 2016 and is under original warranty until november 2019.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 08:11 PM   #51
STR3T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 sDrive30i

I’ve had this happen twice in my convertible on super hot days, long drives and BLASTING max cold. Doesn’t do a ton with top down but helps
a little.

But yeah...just assumed compressor was overworked and froze up. Stop for gas...wait 15-20 minutes and it was working again each time. Have not mentioned it to the dealer...it has not locked up with the top up.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 11:22 PM   #52
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
after the most recent repair attempt on my 328, the ac problem seemed to have been fixed. I had driven all summer without issues. this week I drove 5 hours with no issue (60 degrees, level 1 and level 2 auto fan all drive). a couple days later I drove another 2.5 hours with the same settings and again no issue. today I got about 3.5 hours into the 7.5 hr drive home and of course the issue occurred again. so I shut off the ac and drove with the windows down for about 15 mins hoping to let it thaw. after turning it back on, the ac functioned normally for about 5-10 mins before shutting down again. I repeated the process again with the same results before shutting it down the 3rd time for about 45 mins. after the extended shutdown, the ac functioned normally for the remainder of the drive. the car is back at the dealership, but BMWNA obviously won't do anything since it is used. has anybody successfully lemon'd their car with an attorney outside the basic lemon law standards mentioned previously in the thread? the Texas DMV does mention used cars "may" be subject to lemon law if guidelines are met and the car is under manufacturer original warranty(i meet the 4 repair attempts within 24k miles), but being that it's not a "safety issue", there may be some more legal maneuvering required. just to reiterate it's a 2016 and is under original warranty until november 2019.
As I have stated elsewhere, I have sued car company outside of lemon law while still under warranty. Took 4 years to play through the court system. And huge attorney bills (more than new car cost) that had to be paid monthly when billed.

As you are essentially stuck with car until case is over, unless you are mentally and financially prepared, better to just sell the car and move on.

You might try having an attorney send a letter to BMWNA threatening to sue documenting the issues and see how they respond. Then decide your course of action.

I would also call the Houston TV Stations as the heat swelters. Their Consumer reporter might decide to do a story that the Dealer and BMW would not like. Living without AC in your car in Houston during the Summer is not going to play well for either of them.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 03:04 PM   #53
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Imperial Bloo

Quote:
The best thing to do is to call a lemon law attorney, either through a reference or possibly through Yelp. They will tell you in 5 minutes whether you have a case or not. They do this all day. If they say you have a case, they'll disclose the financial terms up front. In many cases you may pay nothing. Here in CA, if you win the case the auto manufacturer must pay the attorneys fees. Not sure how it is in Texas. In any event, it costs you nothing to call the attorney and they will give you expert info. on the phone. I did this with a 2013 Nissan Altima and got all my money back, including tax and registration fees, minus a reasonable usage fee based on mileage.
Appreciate 1
hcw59.00
      07-10-2018, 07:17 PM   #54
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

As shown in thread...especially last 10 posts, if you review, OP has no lemon law case.

Bill Cosby cannot be charged on 1970 rape charges and OP has no lemon law case.

Time is up.

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 07-10-2018 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2018, 02:40 PM   #55
kikcaffine
Private
Rep
Drives: 1m

Theres a sensor that sits on the evaporator core that shuts down the compressor when it gets to a certain temp, I'd be willing to be thats died.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 10:21 AM   #56
hcw5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikcaffine View Post
Theres a sensor that sits on the evaporator core that shuts down the compressor when it gets to a certain temp, I'd be willing to be thats died.
Does it shut down when the temperature gets too high ie. the outside temperature or when it gets too cold ie. freezing up?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 06:29 PM   #57
kikcaffine
Private
Rep
Drives: 1m

Quote:
Does it shut down when the temperature gets too high ie. the outside temperature or when it gets too cold ie. freezing up?
too cold on the evaporator core to keep it from doing exactly what its doing.
Appreciate 0