F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Suspension: M Sport Adaptive vs M Sport Passive
Extreme Powerhouse

02-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #23
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Review from Australia's Wheels Magazine:

328i vs C250 vs A4 comparison

02-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #24
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekh929 View Post
Pete bang on the money i have moaned to BMW at big events for as loan as i remember about run flats, always the promise they will stick by them as will improve but there was no way to do this on very low profile tyres unless they reduced the ridged ness of the side walls giving less miles on in emergeny and thats what they have done. You just need to drive a couple of Alpina car's to relise the damage to ride they do.
I remember a motor show when i was speaking to one of the suspension guys from BMW in 2007 i was invited up with a few others to have a chat on what we felt the issue was with e90 m sport and they must have been worried all present sales unless ride improves or got ajustable suspension they would lose market share to other brands, as my street was an example one moved from old 5 series to e class another to Audi and a few more, two of them back to 5 series with adaptive damping, or non RFT.
I think the Adaptive was put on spec list due to the facts above to keep the hard core BMW car buyes that buy not for the badge or looks , but that does help, but for the Drive train and 50/50 balance and also well controlled and compliant handling. Not all owners are looking for this
I'm aware others were pushing hard on BMW, we had my dealer co-ordinating with BMW Technical, to sort 3 cars with very disgruntled long term customers. We thought BMW were going to use one car and test different wheels, then BMW backed away. I personally think they realised they were getting too close to finding a wheel/suspension mis-match issue and didn't want any of us to confirm it.

Without going too far off topic, I went straight to BMW Technical and Bridgestone, (as I said BMW backed away), but I managed to get a Senior Bridgestone Field Engineer up here for a morning, and we went out in my car for him to see for himself what we were dealing with, when road quality was not of typical 'test' standard.

It was clear I was pushing the working envelope up here and the suspension was not coping with the RFTs. Obviously he had much more to say and went off to investigate the issues further. Hence why I went for Koni FSD dampers to widen that restricted envelope. Was still not enough for the driving quality I was after. Now we have active damping systems which widen that envelope even more, when conditions start pushing the boundaries.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #25
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I'm aware others were pushing hard on BMW, we had my dealer co-ordinating with BMW Technical, to sort 3 cars with very disgruntled long term customers. We thought BMW were going to use one car and test different wheels, then BMW backed away. I personally think they realised they were getting too close to finding a wheel/suspension mis-match issue and didn't want any of us to confirm it.

Without going too far off topic, I went straight to BMW Technical and Bridgestone, (as I said BMW backed away), but I managed to get a Senior Bridgestone Field Engineer up here for a morning, and we went out in my car for him to see for himself what we were dealing with, when road quality was not of typical 'test' standard.

It was clear I was pushing the working envelope up here and the suspension was not coping with the RFTs. Obviously he had much more to say and went off to investigate the issues further. Hence why I went for Koni FSD dampers to widen that restricted envelope. Was still not enough for the driving quality I was after. Now we have active damping systems which widen that envelope even more, when conditions start pushing the boundaries.

HighlandPete
I spoke to a dealer in Scotland today and they said Adaptive a must spec on our poor roads the first one to say that, and your are bang on the money with your ccomments
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #26
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

I would love to drive an F30 with M Sport Adaptive Suspension shod without Run Flat Tyres.
That could possibly be an even more fab car? Yes? No?
      02-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #27
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
I would love to drive an F30 with M Sport Adaptive Suspension shod without Run Flat Tyres.
I think it will depend how much the car has been set up for the RFT but all Alpina cars are far more compliant and they aint got RFT but do have different suspension
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #28
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
That's an interesting question. The first answer is probably "better" whatever the setup of the adaptive suspension. But suggest not going to be as marked as we were on the early E9x models.

You likely gather from my comments, I've been on this RFT issue for quite a few years now, hence why getting into a 5-series required Adaptive Drive as the first key option, and deal breaker if not fitted. I'm running 18" RFTs on my summer set and 17" RFTs on the winter set. I'm actually pleased with both, they both work with a very similar feel, even the winter RFTs in cold temperatures, and give very little negative feedback.

We have moved on a great deal, so any change would have to be carefully thought out. I sense you'd need a decent UHP tyre with pretty good lateral performance, to keep the good characteristics, not giving much away in the handling department, but a little more tyre flex for comfort. I'm happy to keep with RFTs on my car, but do wonder how much smoother and refined the ride would be, fitted with non run-flats.

I'm sure it will be more marked on cars not fitted with adaptive suspension, particularly if running passive M-sport suspension.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #29
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

I wonder about the same thing. I tried really hard to get BMW to supply my car on non RFTs, but they said they weren't allowed - something to do with deviating from standard spec.

I'd like to see what the car feels like with Michelin Pilot Super Sports on. Was thinking of splashing out in the spring. Does anyone know if non RFTs will go onto the standard rims? My summer rims are the 19" 403s.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #30
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyc View Post
I wonder about the same thing. I tried really hard to get BMW to supply my car on non RFTs, but they said they weren't allowed - something to do with deviating from standard spec.

I'd like to see what the car feels like with Michelin Pilot Super Sports on. Was thinking of splashing out in the spring. Does anyone know if non RFTs will go onto the standard rims? My summer rims are the 19" 403s.
It would be the Michelin PSS that comes to my mind as well. They should fit OK, as the OEM EH2 (extended hump) rims will take a non run-flat without issue. It is not just forum talk either. Pirelli have clearly stated fitting non run-flats to EH2 rims is acceptable. In reality it also gives more security to a non run-flat tyre.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0