F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > investment ideas
GetBMWParts

04-28-2015, 10:30 AM   #89
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

"Subjective tile" that is a new one I will have to add to my repertoire
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2015, 04:10 PM   #90
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
"Subjective tile" that is a new one I will have to add to my repertoire
and we don't say "small" when describing a rental, we say "cozy."
      04-28-2015, 04:50 PM   #91
Dalko43
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by N55 View Post
Day Trade the stock market. That's what I do, great returns (if you know how to play it right).

With $100k you can easily rack $2000 - $5000 / day. (Don't ask how i know ;-))

You can lose big too......
With a method that easy and straight forward, you would think by now that all the major firms would simply give up hedge funds, actively managed portfolios, index funds, futures, ect. and just jump into 'day trading.'

I wonder why that industry transformation hasn't happened it....

To the OP, if you have a 100k laying around, I'd say you've 'made it.' Go find a low-cost financial adviser (preferably fee-only, none of that commission BS) or DIY and invest in low-cost index funds that capture the US and global markets....no quick returns on that, but 8-15 years will make for some very nice returns. 15-25 years, will be even better..
      04-28-2015, 07:09 PM   #92
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalko43 View Post
To the OP, if you have a 100k laying around, I'd say you've 'made it.' Go find a low-cost financial adviser (preferably fee-only, none of that commission BS) or DIY and invest in low-cost index funds that capture the US and global markets....no quick returns on that, but 8-15 years will make for some very nice returns. 15-25 years, will be even better..
great comment.

To echo it somewhat, why would you want the advice of a bunch of anonymous people on an automobile board? Why not talk to someone who's in the business of financial planning or investment?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 07:50 PM   #93
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

I would invest in roast beef.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2015, 07:58 PM   #94
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalko43 View Post
With a method that easy and straight forward, you would think by now that all the major firms would simply give up hedge funds, actively managed portfolios, index funds, futures, ect. and just jump into 'day trading.'

I wonder why that industry transformation hasn't happened it....

i'm far from "made," at least in my mind. its not 100k liquid, some is liquid, and some is equity in a rental property.
if you go to page #4, you'll see i decided to reinvest in another property and have began renovations.

i do like the idea of mutual funds, but to be honest, i'm not as entirely educated on them as i should be. it is an area i need to spend some time educating myself and investigating.
a quick thought (thinking out loud here) would be to use equity in a property and dump it into a mutual fund that is expected to have 7-10% growth. theoretically, the growth would be more than the interest on the financed equity, right? not sure if thats a common or kosher route, but its my initial thought.

i know discussion with a bunch of strangers isn't always ideal, but like i stated in my original post- there is lots of successful people on here and i do like interesting and new ideas that provoke new thought processes.
      04-29-2015, 09:13 AM   #95
Dalko43
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i do like the idea of mutual funds, but to be honest, i'm not as entirely educated on them as i should be. it is an area i need to spend some time educating myself and investigating.
a quick thought (thinking out loud here) would be to use equity in a property and dump it into a mutual fund that is expected to have 7-10% growth. theoretically, the growth would be more than the interest on the financed equity, right? not sure if thats a common or kosher route, but its my initial thought.
Fair enough. Purchasing property for rental/leasing purposes is an investment, though of a different sort. If you are up to the task of finding the right property and the maintenance and operational costs associated with it, more power to you.

Index funds can be purchased as both traditional mutual funds and ETF's (electronically traded funds); both essentially give you access to the same sort of assets/sectors, but the two have different trading procedures. I would highly recommend you look into those options.

There are some well known companies (like Vanguard) that allow individual investors to buy these kinds of funds at very low cost, especially compared to what other fund companies charge. You are essentially on your own for advice or guidance though (unless you are a high-roller with millions of $).

Otherwise, if you are interested in having a financial adviser working with you, there are low-cost, fee-only advisers out there. Let me know if you are ever in the upstate NY area. I could put you in touch with a such an adviser.

Last edited by Dalko43; 04-29-2015 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2015, 12:30 AM   #96
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

investing in real estate has worked well for me. i'm familiar with my local markets and use several websites to search (redfin, zillow, etc.). i'm getting really good at determining costs (mortgage, taxes, HOA dues, current interest rates, and likely rents). there are tons of websites that allow for specific searches of properties available for rent, and they are a great tool to use to determine prospective rents after estimating total monthly costs.
it costs me nothing but some time on a computer, and i have fun strategizing.
sure there are some risks, but they are calculated risks. both properties rent for more than my total monthly costs. i'm not going to get rich off the monthly profits, but it provides some instant gratification while enjoying long-term appreciation. i manage my property myself and don't mind the occasional text about a broken water heater or whatever. its a minimal effort for a great reward, and i enjoy the responsibility.

i appreciate your input and reference to index funds and companies like vanguard. i have 10% of my income going towards a 457 plan, and i can do a little more, or maybe split 7% towards my 457 and the other 7% towards index funds. i really do have to sit down with someone familiar with such opportunities and pick their brain. seeing money make money and being able to use it without penalty would be very exciting (all my other plans are for retirement age withdraw).
      06-25-2015, 07:21 AM   #97
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

renovation took a little longer than expected, and we only went a little over budget, but i'm happy. the quality materials in the renovation and fair rent got this condo rented to a great tenant that appreciates it.

06-25-2015, 07:34 AM   #98
ArthurL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6MT (E93)

The place looks really nice, roastbeef

I'm interested in hearing from the rest of you which investments have worked for you.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2015, 08:22 AM   #99
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

My first "investment" was a triplex where I lived in one unit, bought in 2000, sold in 2006. Old, run down house in good neighborhood. Two other units paid the mortgage and I worked on it for 6 years, slowly making it into a nice house. Turned upstairs back into a house with a lower unit rental. While an investment it was also a long term part time job. If you took my time as worth zero I made a huge return on it. I would strongly recommend the 3 apartment building, live in 1 to someone that wants to get into a first house (down payment isn't normally as bad for the rental property if it will be your primary residence also.)

Now max out my wife and my 401k's at work and rest goes in Vanguard. Mostly low cost index funds spread through large company, small company, bonds, developed international and emerging international funds (not evenly spread).

Nothing glamorous or exciting but I feel that with all of the true experts working night and day trying to figure out what the best stock investments are my chances of beating them (the market) long term is very small. The number of these experts that actually do beat the market long term is also very small. I believe only about 21% of actively managed funds beat index funds, if it was that easy to beat the market the number would be much higher.
      06-25-2015, 09:33 AM   #100
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

It talk to a quality financial advisor, but that's just me.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 09:41 AM   #101
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
It talk to a quality financial advisor, but that's just me.
*I'd

*adviser

sorry abt that. I couldn't resist.

out of curiosity, how does one find a quality financial adviser if they have trust issues? that's a serious question.
      06-25-2015, 11:17 AM   #102
SheaButter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3CP F86 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
*I'd

*adviser

sorry abt that. I couldn't resist.

out of curiosity, how does one find a quality financial adviser if they have trust issues? that's a serious question.
It can be Advisor or Adviser.

E93 M3 AC Schnitzer Carbon Fiber - Fully Gutted Exhaust and muffler delete | 2007 DB9 Bone Stock | 2016 428i
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 01:52 PM   #103
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheaButter View Post
It can be Advisor or Adviser.
i learned something.
      06-25-2015, 01:57 PM   #104
SheaButter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i learned something.
Lol so this is sort of funny, but I spell it differently depending on who I am talking to. Certain clients I say Advisor to and certain ones I use Adviser, in fear of them thinking I don't know how to spell.

E93 M3 AC Schnitzer Carbon Fiber - Fully Gutted Exhaust and muffler delete | 2007 DB9 Bone Stock | 2016 428i
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 02:02 PM   #105
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheaButter View Post
Lol so this is sort of funny, but I spell it differently depending on who I am talking to. Certain clients I say Advisor to and certain ones I use Adviser, in fear of them thinking I don't know how to spell.
how do you choose who gets which word? is it location based?
      06-25-2015, 02:25 PM   #106
SheaButter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
how do you choose who gets which word? is it location based?
Yep

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 03:11 PM   #107
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Very nice, roastbeef.

Quote:
renovation took a little longer than expected, and we only went a little over budget, but i'm happy. the quality materials in the renovation and fair rent got this condo rented to a great tenant that appreciates it.

06-25-2015, 03:14 PM   #108
GotE46M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Few M cars.

My buddy used to invest in the Victorville area after the housing crisis and it was dirty cheap, bought a few and sold it a while back for some nice profits. He probably held on to those houses for 2-3 years tops. Interested to hear where your property location is if you dont mind sharing.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2015, 03:17 PM   #109
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Impressed, roastbeef.
On 08-13-2014, you posted an idea, and you went through with it. Took only 10mo. Congrats.

Quote:
investing in real estate has worked well for me. i'm familiar with my local markets and use several websites to search (redfin, zillow, etc.). i'm getting really good at determining costs (mortgage, taxes, HOA dues, current interest rates, and likely rents). there are tons of websites that allow for specific searches of properties available for rent, and they are a great tool to use to determine prospective rents after estimating total monthly costs.
it costs me nothing but some time on a computer, and i have fun strategizing.
sure there are some risks, but they are calculated risks. both properties rent for more than my total monthly costs. i'm not going to get rich off the monthly profits, but it provides some instant gratification while enjoying long-term appreciation. i manage my property myself and don't mind the occasional text about a broken water heater or whatever. its a minimal effort for a great reward, and i enjoy the responsibility.

i appreciate your input and reference to index funds and companies like vanguard. i have 10% of my income going towards a 457 plan, and i can do a little more, or maybe split 7% towards my 457 and the other 7% towards index funds. i really do have to sit down with someone familiar with such opportunities and pick their brain. seeing money make money and being able to use it without penalty would be very exciting (all my other plans are for retirement age withdraw).
      06-25-2015, 06:18 PM   #110
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotE46M View Post
Interested to hear where your property location is if you dont mind sharing.
city of oceanside. its a beach city, but not super upscale like others. my properties (two) are on the west side of the i5, so they appeal to those that want to live closer to the beach. garages are a huge plus as well. people really feel like they are getting more (and they are).
one thing i learned this time around is how much people value their private outdoor space. this condo has a significantly smaller patio than my other one, even though it is at ground level. the complex is pet friendly, which i found to be a huge bonus because it is a huge attraction. the smaller patio is sort of a buzzkill for everyone whether they have a pet or not though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrena View Post
Impressed, roastbeef.
On 08-13-2014, you posted an idea, and you went through with it. Took only 10mo. Congrats.
thanks, but i must admit, it took longer than ten months. working hard and building equity and saving took a lot of time. i hatched the thread 10 months ago looking for new ideas, but the setup took years.
i'm very thankful to have friends and mentors to bounce ideas off of in seeking their guidance. i spent a lot of time online watching and educating myself.
i got into a small business (vending machines) and decided to get out. it wasn't a failure, but it wasn't going to be what i wanted to be so i got out. some might call that a failure, but it was a very beneficial learning experience- i can't call that a failure.
one of the things i have learned and sort of adopted through listening to self development audiobooks, is; "what am i doing today that i would not get into again, knowing what i now know?" basically, without abandoning responsibility or fulfillment, get out if you're spinning your tires or going nowhere.

i think i know what you're saying, and i appreciate the congratulation. i'm just trying to hang it out there for anyone that might misinterpret investments/etc. as easy as flipping a light switch.