F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dyno Results from the weekend
Studio RSR

10-28-2015, 04:20 PM   #23
robbymiami
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Convertible

Understood... I think I'd rather stick with a more reliable baseline test, however. These guys didnt even know how to open the hood of my car, and I had to explain to them to put the car in sport mode, etc. Want to start with a BMW tuner. Should have done more research first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Happy to help.
I recommend you stick with one dyno. Comparing numbers from 2 different dynos does not help with anything .

Anytime you add modifications, you can now compare it with the pull you posted above and see how much gains you got.
      10-28-2015, 06:07 PM   #24
chutak
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbymiami View Post
This is all great info, thanks. I'm new to a lot of this so, unfortunately, I did not have the foresight to dyno before modding. I'll try a different dyno for comparison, then I'll have my (modded) baseline for comparison's sake.

After the intake, exhaust and tune, may be have to be a while before anything major at this point, however.
Well, if you really want a baseline dyno (or at least close) you can make it happen. Dinantronics is plug and play, so you can return to the stock tune fairly easy. Also, your intake should be even easier to remove. Wouldn't bother messing with the exhaust though.

Anyway, it's something you can do to satisfy your curiosity after getting another dyno with current mods.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 06:19 PM   #25
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbymiami View Post
CIWS & @mike@x-ph.com

After the intake, exhaust and tune, may be have to be a while before anything major at this point, however.
Well you do have a kind of baseline ATM that at least shows where the car is currently with the way it's configured. So if for instance someone does some work on the car and you get back in it and feel something wasn't put back right you have a current reference to have it checked, on the same dyno, and compare against.
A baseline on my STS-V came into play after the dealership worked on the car and screwed up my supercharger bleed off calibration. Driving it back I could feel the car was weaker. Took it back to the same dyno to check and it was down 60whp. I tried to be nice and give it back to them to check out telling them something didn't feel right power wise. They kept it a day and gave it back saying "everything is fine, it even squeals the tires" So I told them I was going to take it back to the dyno and have three pulls done on the car, and if it wasn't within 20hp of the baseline I was bringing it back to actually be fixed and they were going to re-reimburse me for the dyno cost because I provided them the opportunity to check the car and they said it was fine. Back to the dyno I went, it was down at least 60hp, I took it back to them and they had it for three days. They found what they did, fixed it, and gave it back to me. I dyno'd it again and it was within 5hp of the baseline. They compensated me for the dyno costs with oil changes. (STS-V held 9 qts of Mobil 1)

Without that baseline to prove they messed the car up. I could have been stuck with a car with that much power loss.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 02:27 AM   #26
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trcb777 View Post
The best way to see a car's performance is good old fashion 1/4 mile. Times are more about the driver, tires, launch, while trap speed shows overall hp.
Between a badly launched RWD and a well launched AWD with the same crank hp - you can probably find a pretty big difference in trap speed (I am 100% guessing here - 1/4 mile is not my thing)?. A 60-130mph will show the true power as even weight is less of a factor because of the drag. 60-130 does however pose other legal challenges
      10-29-2015, 07:33 AM   #27
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trcb777 View Post
The best way to see a car's performance is good old fashion 1/4 mile. Times are more about the driver, tires, launch, while trap speed shows overall hp.
Between a badly launched RWD and a well launched AWD with the same crank hp - you can probably find a pretty big difference in trap speed (I am 100% guessing here - 1/4 mile is not my thing)?. A 60-130mph will show the true power as even weight is less of a factor because of the drag. 60-130 does however pose other legal challenges
With the Dinan s2, I ran 60-120 in 10.6 (10.2 on speedo). I agree that a rolling time is much more accurate of power.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 08:26 AM   #28
Buckeyes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

The good thing with the 1/4 mile is that it's legal and you won't get arrested if caught. Always a plus. A bad launch will really show up in the 1/4 mile times but the trap speed should be close unless there is actually a problem with the car's performance. The nice part is a 1/4 mile run gives you several snap shots as you go. 60' time to see traction and launch, 330' time, 1/8 mile time and mph. A wealth of info, especially if you can compare the times with someone else at the strip with a similar setup. The best is to run against your peers and just see what you got.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 08:57 AM   #29
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
A rolling 60-130 is probably the best real world test on a cars performance and can and should only be done on organized airport events.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 07:53 AM   #30
Gio72
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog3xx8 View Post
15% drive train loss on RWD?
25% drive train loss on AWD?
Yes, it could be realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
correction loss factor does not matter. Dynos should only be used as a method to compare delta with various mods. You should have done a baseline pull
Absolutely correct.