F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Door noises getting annoying
proTUNING Freaks

11-23-2012, 06:04 AM   #1
M-Sport328i
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M Sport 328i

Door noises getting annoying

I posted on this a couple of weeks back and was hoping it would settle down. When driving on uneven road surfaces, when going in and out of driveways etc...any time the body flexes I get a soft crackling sound from the doors that sounds a bit like paper being crunched up in the hand. On some roads this is constant and very annoying.

i googled this and it seems like a couple of guys in Singapore have reported this. I have yet to get around to visiting the dealer to discuss. one of the Singaporeans said the dealer fitted felt tape at door trims to fix and this reduced the problem. I also read other posts in some USA forums complaining of similar types of noise.

my mate has a 118 and doesnt have this issue

Has anyone in Aus experienced this on their F30 besides me?

This is problem number 4 with the now 3 week old car. I am concerned that quality control in the factory may not be up to scratch.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Sport328i View Post

This is problem number 4 with the now 3 week old car. I am concerned that quality control in the factory may not be up to scratch.
No issues with unwanted noises in my car.

Sorry to read about so many issues. QC is always going to be an issue in a mass produced car factory, no matter which car manufacturer it is.

No doubt poor build quality cars are few and far between, but unfortunately they do exist.

Hope you get it all sorted quickly.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
I think it might be similar to the problem I had. Try cleaning the rubber door seals thoroughly using water and ensure there hasn't been any sort of cleaning product used (e.g. Armorall) on them.

I did this on mine and it went away. The problem was the pre-delivery company using some sort of cleaning product on them, which makes it squeak when it rubs.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
Tra08R
Money never sleeps
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 - 2007

I said it before and will say it again, the Quality of the F30 is pretty poor.... (those wearing Estoril Blue tinted glasses need not agree)

We are only a tiny sample size on f30post and yet so many problems, go figure.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra08R View Post
I said it before and will say it again, the Quality of the F30 is pretty poor.... (those wearing Estoril Blue tinted glasses need not agree)

We are only a tiny sample size on f30post and yet so many problems, go figure.
And you keep saying it, and saying it, and saying it...

Helpful post there mate.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
Sephanite
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Not the door but the folding mirrors were squeezing for me. Opened and put a bit of grease. We are paying a lot for our cars and sometimes it's easier to diy. Since you are having more than 1 problem I would put it altogether and email head office just so they know
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

Like all manufactured products we would expect some issues with a few cars. I have seen a poll up somewhere in the forums, seems its only affecting 5-10% of customers.

That's not too bad to be honest. It's not about if there's a problem... It is more on how the problem is handled by the manufacturers.

I have had 3 BMWs all with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 05:51 AM   #8
Tra08R
Money never sleeps
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 - 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaitu View Post
And you keep saying it, and saying it, and saying it...

Helpful post there mate.
sorry couldnt help, i say it almost everyday should the topic of cars come up...even to passers by who say nice car...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 07:00 AM   #9
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Sport328i View Post
I posted on this a couple of weeks back and was hoping it would settle down. When driving on uneven road surfaces, when going in and out of driveways etc...any time the body flexes I get a soft crackling sound from the doors that sounds a bit like paper being crunched up in the hand. On some roads this is constant and very annoying.

i googled this and it seems like a couple of guys in Singapore have reported this. I have yet to get around to visiting the dealer to discuss. one of the Singaporeans said the dealer fitted felt tape at door trims to fix and this reduced the problem. I also read other posts in some USA forums complaining of similar types of noise.

my mate has a 118 and doesnt have this issue

Get some Gummi Pflege and apply to your door seals. My E90 did the same thing and seems to be more annoying during cooler weather. This stuff helps.

http://www.z3bimmer.com/OffTopic/E24Bimmer/Gummi/
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #10
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra08R View Post
A HUGE generalisation. Proof of claim based on ALL F30 cars on the road required. Nothing to do with EB, tinted glasses or anything else. Mass production of such complex machinery does have its downsides. However, I have owned an E36 (red), E46 (navy blue), E90 (black). Each of those were well constructed. No EB coloured glasses with those cars.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #11
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport BSM

I get this exact same noise as well. Only on the RHS driver door (around the door hinge area) when I am cornering hard left and only cackle once every now and then.

Wouldn't call it annoying but definitely unnerving when it happened the first time.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #12
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 Xdrive30i M sport

For those with a creak do you have a sunroof? I think there is more flex with sunroof cars as there is no strut in the roof connecting the b pillars. I think cars with no sunroof have his. My first golf had no sunroof and was tight. Current car with sr has more flex

Based on my current experience I am expecting some flex in my f30 when it arrives

I have tried to look for pics or vids or structure diagrams of the f30 frame with no roof to validate my assertion but no luck
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #13
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport BSM

I don't know.

Mine has sunroof. But that doesn't explain why there is no noise coming from the corresponding LHS when cornered hard.

I used to drive an X1 with a panaromic roof and not a squeak when cornered hard.

And a 2012 BMW shouldn't flex - sunroof or no sunroof.

Last edited by jctg; 12-04-2012 at 12:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 12:02 AM   #14
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Please see Post #9 in this thread. Give it a try, it works. Dealer can lube up your door seals for free. Just tell them you know about the product.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 04:39 AM   #15
M-Sport328i
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M Sport 328i

finally back

Back from being away. Thanks for the advice guys I will try cleaning the seals first and see how that goes. Then will look at the Gummi Flege. A mate of mine with a 118 doesnt have any of these noises and he was quite alarmed when i took him for a spin in the car and he heard these noises.

will update you all when i try the above.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #16
Doing it for TV!
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I almost got into an arguement with the wife about 'creaking' noises that she reported to me on various occasions that she drove the car.. I hadn't experienced it at all and she, almost everytime she drove the 328.

I finally got around to experiencing it.. and boy.. is it annoying and very disappointing!!!

However after a really good wash.. the creaks seem to have disappeared.. but the ears are now tuned for them..
2015 M3 - Alpine White, HUD, Ext Leather
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #17
S-BMW
Rep
Drives: M235i

I took delivery of my F30 328i 6 days ago and have noticed the same issue. It is extremely annoying. Whenever I travel over a bumpy road or go in and out of driveways, I hear the creaking noise, and in my car it sounds like it is coming from all doors.

My friend has an F30 328i Luxury line with a Sunroof, and it does not have this issue whatsoever.

My inside door handles also make the same creaking noise when you grab them to pull the door shut. I have the high gloss black trim finish - not sure if this has anything to do with it or is contributing to overall creaking noise?

Any help would be much appreciated. I will try washing the door seals to see if that makes any difference..
      12-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #18
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-BMW View Post
I will try washing the door seals to see if that makes any difference..
Should be the first thing you try. Make sure you use water only and don't follow up with any Armorall etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 01:24 AM   #19
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

I've been following this thread but fail to imagine how or what this sound could potentially be.. is it the sound of the seals brushing/rubbing against each other?? I cleaned them and applied some seal feed (swissvax) the first week I got the car. But even prior to that I have not noticed any peculiar sounds
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #20
Rolux Magnum
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Moonstone

Garage List
2013 328i  [9.00]
2003 FZS 600  [10.00]
2005 R1200RT  [0.00]
2009 RX350  [0.00]
Well I don't have my car yet - so I cant comment on the new F30. (although there was no evidence of it in the several test rides I undertook (320i / 320d / 328i))
But my existing 120i M-Sport has [or had] the same problem. Squeeking / moving noise on the doors.
After reading about this on various BMW forums, I cleaned the seals at the top of the doors - which is a sort of rubbery felt, and put all the windows down and cleaned the inside of the window seals - where the windows fit into. Lots of black rubbish came out.

End of noise issue - and I think it started after the dealer cleaned the car - and used some sort of silicon spray which meant that it was easier for things to move around.

I now clean these area's every time I clean the car - takes 1 min, and I have never had them re-occur again. The key thing is dont apply slippery things to your door or window seals!
      12-17-2012, 07:17 AM   #21
S-BMW
Rep
Drives: M235i

So I cleaned all the door seals with water only and it has definitely made a difference. It has heavily reduced the noise. I didn't clean the felt part though. I might give it all another thorough clean and see if I can completely eradicate it. Thanks for the advice.

Is it worth putting some sort sealing agent on the rubber? Or should I take it back to dealer and get them to apply something? I don't really want to have clean it regularly.
      12-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #22
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-BMW View Post
So I cleaned all the door seals with water only and it has definitely made a difference. It has heavily reduced the noise. I didn't clean the felt part though. I might give it all another thorough clean and see if I can completely eradicate it. Thanks for the advice.

Is it worth putting some sort sealing agent on the rubber? Or should I take it back to dealer and get them to apply something? I don't really want to have clean it regularly.
No worries, happy to help.

It should be fine from here on in, just give it a wipe when you clean your car normally if it starts to squeak again but it shouldn't be an issue.

It was having something put on there in the first place that created the problem.
Appreciate 0