F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > F30 - Stunning! ideas?
Studio RSR

09-27-2016, 01:25 PM   #23
HelmutVisor
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F32 435d XDrive M Sport

CazuaLLUK, Glad to hear you are one of the responsible operators mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyl View Post
Clearly drones should be kept well away from airports and aircraft.

But, and something I wondered about for ages... do you really think an affordable commercial drone could actually bring down a plane or helicopter? It just seems a fight the drone would lose every single time to me.

A mid sized bird is probably a similar weight to a drone and although there are occasionally bird strikes that cause aircraft real issues, there are a lot of them in the sky. And its usually a flock that is the problem.

I once watched a programme where they were firing large frozen turkeys and chickens at a plane in a test facility, and they seamed to be coping!

Having had a few bird strikes I can assure you its the luck of the draw on what damage the impact has. On a couple of occasions, I had only realised I'd had a bird strike once back on the ground post flight walk-round. One more serious time, it went in to one of the engines and caused a flame out. Individual birds or smaller flocks tend to have the good sense to get out the way if they can (self preservation on their part). A fairly autonomous drone does not have those skills. We typically fly around below 500' at 120-160 knots (up to 180mph). Even though our windscreens are designed to tolerate a certain sized bird at certain speeds, other areas of the aircraft are more vulnerable. Intakes, rotor head gubbins or even just bits of fuselage that may have fairly important bits of avionics behind them. Add to that the debris falling to the ground.

Put it another way, let me know your reaction and damage if I chucked a brick at your car whilst youre hoofing down the motorway ;-).

I'm not completely averse to drones but very nervous about how accessible they are to the general public and what little understanding they have to the potential dangers. Not just to aviation but everyone. Imagine a large drone coming down over said motorway? Would just like a minimum standard of knowledge and awareness of the hazards to operators. We cant educate birds (theyve been doing it longer than we have) but with the sheer amount of drones and minimal cost, a more robust stance has to be taken.

Larger R/C aircraft operators have some fairly strict regulations and they tend to fly from designated areas that pilots are familiar with (local avoids on maps, NOTAMS, clubs informing CAA etc). These chaps adhere to the ANO (Air Nav Order) but your average joe who pops to Maplins to buy a drone probably isnt even aware of what that demands.

Rant over (Dont mind sharing airspace, just like to know that others who use it aren't fucking simpletons!) .
Appreciate 2
Dyl432.50
      09-27-2016, 04:39 PM   #24
CazuaLLUK
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Black F30 M Sport

Garage List
The companies who make them dont help, I mean Go Pro have just launched their Karma and DJI have just launched their Mavic, both drones in a compact size for any one to buy and for anyone to take travelling and use in unknown air space.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 08:47 PM   #25
BrennanF30
BMWLad
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport

Garage List
BMW F30 M Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazuaLLUK View Post
I wish I could
Everyone please excuse my buddy here, he doesn't get out much, bless him

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6times7 View Post
I don't know - BrennanF30 is Irish isn't he? I reckon he's got some super hi def, Ultra HD4K F30 photo taking potato
Appreciate 1
CazuaLLUK2221.00
      09-28-2016, 01:48 PM   #26
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Micky Taking aside, it is nice when you catch the light just right and it looks like that magazine shoot car
Attached Images

09-28-2016, 03:19 PM   #27
AshMashMash
Ixnay on the upidstay
Australia
Rep
Drives: EBII F30 330D

I did a rolling shot of my E90:

I drove my car (after a fresh wash!). I set my camera tripod up in my other half's car, weighted down. Set camera pointing out of open window, manual mode, auto-focus. Had infra-red shutter cable attached which he pressed while driving when I was in range (had walky-talkies to say when to go) and just did loads of pics going down a 50mph dual carraigeway near my house

Annoying I live by the coast but there's bloody nowhere to get cool shots of the car and coastline!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 03:54 PM   #28
CazuaLLUK
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Black F30 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshMashMash View Post
I did a rolling shot of my E90:
Very cool mate
Appreciate 1