F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > My N20 died at 72k miles
Studio RSR

01-18-2017, 04:05 PM   #287
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ed View Post
Let's look at facts:
1. Did anyone actually reported timing chain ripped? - Not that I remember.
2. When timing chain breaks some valve would drop into piston work area making spectacular *BANG!!*. Did anyone reported that explosion? - NO. This means at the time of failure timing chain is in working condition.
3. So what is reported? "Oil pressure loss" is reported. Why? Either oil chain rips, or oil pump breaks.

I doubt that N20 problems are related to timing chain. Maximum it may make noise when plastic cassette is broken.
Excellent points.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 05:23 PM   #288
KGB_123_99
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 330ix M-Sport, '09 528ix

Quote:
Let's look at facts:
1. Did anyone actually reported timing chain ripped? - Not that I remember.
2. When timing chain breaks some valve would drop into piston work area making spectacular *BANG!!*. Did anyone reported that explosion? - NO. This means at the time of failure timing chain is in working condition.
3. So what is reported? "Oil pressure loss" is reported. Why? Either oil chain rips, or oil pump breaks.

I doubt that N20 problems are related to timing chain. Maximum it may make noise when plastic cassette is broken.
I think what happens is the timing chain guides break and then the broken piece jams the oil pump chain.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 08:07 PM   #289
motorwerkeman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

If you look into the part revisions:

-01/15 Timing chain revised
-04/15 Oil chain revised

My key question in all of this is: Have we seen this type of failure in cars built after 01/2015? After 04/2015?

Quote:
I think what happens is the timing chain guides break and then the broken piece jams the oil pump chain.
I think the stretched chain causes stress on the guides which in turn causes them to break. The part numbers for the slide rail and guide seem to be the same since production began.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 08:23 PM   #290
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 and 2022 Acura MDX

N20 with 40k miles, looks ok to me, a little bit of scuffing on the chain but nothing that looks to compromise the integrity of the chain.

We're selling/trading it anyway, we've gotta get a bigger vehicle
      01-18-2017, 09:06 PM   #291
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

The scuffing means it is rubbing against something.... Possibly the plastic guide? Whatever it is rubbing against that part too is being frictioned off. And if it is the plastic guide then it's a matter of time before the plastic guide's structural integrity becomes compromised and shatter.

Drawing upon my bike maintenance days, stretched chains are normally due to worn sprockets. The teeth would look like shark's fins. Unless one is putting down major torque gears/sprockets last a long long time.

Would be good to know the driving habits of the drivers with this issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 07:00 AM   #292
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 and 2022 Acura MDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
The scuffing means it is rubbing against something.... Possibly the plastic guide? Whatever it is rubbing against that part too is being frictioned off. And if it is the plastic guide then it's a matter of time before the plastic guide's structural integrity becomes compromised and shatter.

Drawing upon my bike maintenance days, stretched chains are normally due to worn sprockets. The teeth would look like shark's fins. Unless one is putting down major torque gears/sprockets last a long long time.

Would be good to know the driving habits of the drivers with this issue.
This is the new design so if that's the case everyone with an n20 is screwed and frankly I don't believe that. Your rationale is reasonable but you are also assuming in the redesign phase of the parts they haven't accounted for this. Also a few wear marks doesn't necessarily mean that the wear is going to eventually cause a failure....but I suppose it could.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 09:46 PM   #293
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
Had my timing chain/guide replaced by BMW a few months ago, approximately 7k miles ago. Here is a pic I snapped this morning.

[IMG]http://d.pr/i/2WZ2+[/IMG]
      01-21-2017, 01:57 AM   #294
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by etinifni View Post
Had my timing chain/guide replaced by BMW a few months ago, approximately 7k miles ago. Here is a pic I snapped this morning.

Can you share how you got BMW to replace the chain? Symptoms?
Out did it break which might let to catastrophic engine issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 07:26 AM   #295
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
Quote:

Can you share how you got BMW to replace the chain? Symptoms?
Out did it break which might let to catastrophic engine issues.
I explained my situation in the beginning of this thread. It would probably be easier just to go back and read it. I'm currently on mobile so it looks like I posted it on page 6 & 7.

Also posted here:

2012 BMW N20 Engine Failure!!! http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1256248
      01-22-2017, 10:35 AM   #296
cheychey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X1

Anyone can pm me the email for those who are in charge at bmwna that can help with my situation. I have a 2012 bmw x1 28i with 100,600km that I recently bought from a used car dealership in mississauga ontario in dec 2016. They had in turn bought the vehicle from parkview bmw toronto in sep or oct 2016. The vehicle was on a lease till aug 11th 2016. Service history shows it was maintained and serviced up to date. I recently heard a slight whining sound on acceleration and took in to bmw etobicoke for diagnoses. They notified me that the timing chain and oil pump chain needs replacing due to excessive wear on the chains and sprockets causing the whining noise. Another issue is that the turbocharger oil feed line needs replacing as well. Both issues I have read about have been common issue of the n20 engine especially the timing and oil pump chain wear. I want bmw to atleast cover that repair. Anyways if anyone can pm me the contacts i would need to send my concern to then. will not threaten them yet I will give them a chance first.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 12:03 PM   #297
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep

Why don't you work directly through your BMW dealership? Btw it's BMW Canada you would be dealing with. All the best and please update us.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 12:20 PM   #298
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheychey View Post
have a 2012 bmw x1 28i with 100,600km that I recently bought from a used car dealership in mississauga ontario in dec 2016. They had in turn bought the vehicle from parkview bmw toronto in sep or oct 2016. The vehicle was on a lease till aug 11th 2016.
Not that it helps the OP, but this is why you only buy CPO. The reason why the leasing dealer wholesaled the car off to a used car dealer is because he examined the car and knew it had issues that he didn't want to deal with.
OP, go to the leasing dealer, and contact BMW Canada. Between the two of them you might come to an arrangement.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 09:15 AM   #299
F30ed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, X3 35M

Quote:
Here is a pic I snapped this morning.
The picture is blurry, but overall looks ok. Can you tell in words what is wrong there?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 09:31 AM   #300
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Here is a pic I snapped this morning.
The picture is blurry, but overall looks ok. Can you tell in words what is wrong there?

Not sure what you mean, I was just posting a picture of how my chain looks post upgrade. Is there something wrong?
      01-23-2017, 10:17 AM   #301
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Nothing wrong, but it does show that the plastic guide doesn't stay white, it turns brown after exposure to oil. Earlier pictures of a removed old chain and an unused new chain would give the impression that if you've got a brown plastic guide that you have the old version, and that's not the case.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 10:36 AM   #302
BlueCrabMafia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheychey View Post
Another issue is that the turbocharger oil feed line needs replacing as well.
Your turbo oil line should be covered under a recall, at least in the US it is. I just had mine replaced via recall.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 01:56 PM   #303
davitd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 325 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Nothing wrong, but it does show that the plastic guide doesn't stay white, it turns brown after exposure to oil. Earlier pictures of a removed old chain and an unused new chain would give the impression that if you've got a brown plastic guide that you have the old version, and that's not the case.
There is no revision to chain guides or oil pump. Only oil pump chain and timing chain have been updated. If one has the old version of the oil pump chain, I would definitely update it since the new design seems to be more robust. Otherwise I would not bother with a slight whine and would not rush to replace bunch of parts worth more than USD2 k. From my experience the whine is more associated with balance shafts or oil pump but the design of these parts has not been updated and thus there is no guarantee that the whine won't be back.

P.S. timing chain guide failure leads to higher pitched whine that needs to be addressed immediately. There are numerous videos on the web of this sound and one can not miss it.e.g. visit bmwtechnician's blog.

Last edited by davitd; 03-16-2017 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 02:15 PM   #304
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davitd View Post
There is no revision to chain guides
You missed my point. This picture shows old versus new oil chain:

The new unused guide is white, because it hasn't been exposed to oil yet. Some have made the mistaken assumption that the new chain will have a white guide. Before installed, yes, but after installed, no.

However, there is a visible difference between the two. The links of the old version are all made with two plates back to back. In the new version the center links are still two piece, but the inboard and outboard links are one piece. Whether that's significant or not I can't say.

Last edited by Billfitz; 01-23-2017 at 02:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
scostu1623.00
      01-23-2017, 03:17 PM   #305
BlueCrabMafia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davitd View Post
There is no revision to chain guides
You missed my point. This picture shows old versus new oil chain:
[img]http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...1&d=1482370445[/img]

However, there is a visible difference between the two. The links of the old version are all made with two plates back to back. In the new version the center links are still two piece, but the inboard and outboard links are one piece. Whether that's significant or not I can't say.
I would say the chain links being one piece in the inboard and outboard of the chain is a significant update. Thicker one piece material probably prevents the chain from stretching as it did with the 2 piece design.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 04:32 PM   #306
KGB_123_99
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 330ix M-Sport, '09 528ix

Still in shock that a company whose middle name is Motor has such a "teething" problem with chains you would normally expect from a brand new car maker.

Amateur hour...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 12:46 PM   #307
jcbkrmr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5, 2013 911 C2S

[UPDATE] - N20 in 2013 X3 died at 75k miles

Finally, after 8(8!) weeks of being on a lift at the dealership my X3 has been repaired under warranty and returned to me. As glad as this has made me and my wife, there are still some things to be concerned about.

First, the replacement engine was selected by the dealership, this did not go over very well with the warranty company who were able to find a much cheaper replacement... this is all well and good, except the replacement that was installed still has the out of date secondary chain inside of it. I went back and forth with the dealership and BMWNA for multiple days about getting the chain updated. The best they could do was quote me $2400 for the replacement. I balked at this proposition and happily accepted the 12mo. warranty extension that they offered on the replacement engine. I did this assuming that there will either be a recall between now and then or in the worst case I would get the new chain installed by an independent mechanic the day before the warranty expires.

Second, on our way home from picking up the car there was a very noticeable vibration through the seats and arm rests (briefly through the steering wheel while accelerating at low speed). The vibration has a frequency that seems to vary with rpm at nearly every speed. I am currently trying to identify the frequencies as a function rpm using some rudimentary vibration analysis tools. This vibration was accompanied with some very strange noises (something like a whine combined with a lugging sound) coming from the engine bay. We notified the dealership of this and they told us to "keep an eye on it". I guess they are hoping that it "just goes away", in my experience that never works. I initially second guessed myself, thinking that it could be normal, however, we had just been driving a loaner '17 X3 and it was smooth as butter and super quiet once up to operating temp. In fact, the vibration from the "new" engine feels worse than the old engine did immediately prior to the failure of the secondary chain. I am thinking that the secondary chain in this engine has already been stretched, causing the counterbalance shafts to be "out of time" with the engine.

Unfortunately, I think I am going to have to bring the car back to the dealership and tell them that I am not satisfied with the work done on the vehicle and they need to have another crack at it. But I am not sure how all of this will play out with regard to the burden of the warranty be fulfilled, etc. etc. If anyone has ideas as to the source of these vibrations, and/or what course of action I should/can take to get this thing running properly I would greatly appreciate it!
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2017, 12:52 PM   #308
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Wow; what a nightmare.
Appreciate 0