F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2012 F30 Steering wheel vibration
ARMA SPEED

09-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #485
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

It's NOT true that all F30's have this. This has been established.

I'll again add my 335i Msport to the list of cars not having this issue.
My steering is vibration free.
I've got the DH pkg (adaptive suspension and VSS).
There are also F30's with VSS and do have vibration as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #486
rado
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

I have read secondhand quotes that "some people with VSS have reported steering wheel vibration" but I don't recall seeing any firsthand reports. But this is a long thread, I certainly could have missed it, and some reports are a little ambiguous. At the very least, it does seem that a majority of the reports that say "mine doesn't vibrate" also say that the car has VSS. Maybe another poll would be in order, that only asks about VSS and vibration.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #487
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rado View Post
I have read secondhand quotes that "some people with VSS have reported steering wheel vibration" but I don't recall seeing any firsthand reports. But this is a long thread, I certainly could have missed it, and some reports are a little ambiguous. At the very least, it does seem that a majority of the reports that say "mine doesn't vibrate" also say that the car has VSS. Maybe another poll would be in order, that only asks about VSS and vibration.
I have seen and read people who have VSS vibration. But i would say the majority of cars with vss do not have the vibration, or so their owners say.
      09-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #488
batislav
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
I have seen and read people who have VSS vibration. But i would say the majority of cars with vss do not have the vibration, or so their owners say.
My attitude is that if the vibration isn't strong enough that a majority of people can notice it (particularly if they can't feel it) then people shouldn't be surprised that BMW isn't putting in more of an effort to resolve what to many is a non issue.

Not that people shouldn't be upset if their car isn't up to their standards, but saying many people can't tell, but this is unacceptable in a $50,000 car (to quote other posts in this thread, this isn't directed at any one person) explains why there isn't a huge rush from BMW to correct those affected.

I'll also confirm that 6000 miles in no vibration in 2012 sport with VSS.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #489
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by batislav View Post
My attitude is that if the vibration isn't strong enough that a majority of people can notice it (particularly if they can't feel it) then people shouldn't be surprised that BMW isn't putting in more of an effort to resolve what to many is a non issue.

Not that people shouldn't be upset if their car isn't up to their standards, but saying many people can't tell, but this is unacceptable in a $50,000 car (to quote other posts in this thread, this isn't directed at any one person) explains why there isn't a huge rush from BMW to correct those affected.

I'll also confirm that 6000 miles in no vibration in 2012 sport with VSS.
I agree, and have said that its more of something you see(the steering wheel shaking) than feel. I wish it wasnt like this(owning 15+ bmw's the steering wheel never shook) but i am satisfied how they are handling my situation.
      09-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #490
jeffc42
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 335i, on order: i4 M50

Quote:
I have read this entire thread and there is precisely one person, Kirklander, who has both VSS and vibrations.

Is there anyone else with both variable sport steering and steering wheel vibrations?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 02:16 AM   #491
kirklander
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F-10

Hi jeffc42,

Except for self parking and cold package, I have all the extras. Altough I don't have cold package, I have heated seats and steering wheel. My tires are 19'. This may be a factor also. I have VSS, M-suspension.

Last edited by kirklander; 09-29-2012 at 02:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #492
mark.L
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklander View Post
Hi jeffc42,

Except for self parking and cold package, I have all the extras. Altough I don't have cold package, I have heated seats and steering wheel. My tires are 19'. This may be a factor also. I have VSS, M-suspension.
but how did you get heated steering wheel without the cold weather package?
      09-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #493
kirklander
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.L View Post
but how did you get heated steering wheel without the cold weather package?
Hi mark.L,

It was an option I can choose to add.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #494
dc_bmw
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

My Dutch BMW 320iA Luxury Line Sedan (heated steering wheel, M sport suspension, 17" 414 wheels) has a vibration too.
Starts just before 80km/h and practically ends at 100 km/h.

I contacted my dealer by phone and the service manager immediately referred to 'the issue'.
He adviced me to continue driving for about 1500 km and then bring in the car for balancing, and this approach resolved the issue for several customers.

There is only a small range in which I can actually feel the vibration quite strong. My car also pulls slightly to the right, which I forgot to mention. Perhaps my vibration is caused by the wheel alignment only.
Will contact the dealer again tomorrow and report back.
Besides this issue my general impression is:

I found my E46 a very pleasant ride,but now i got to realize that i actually hear cars passing by more then my own car
Very silent, very smooth, feels robust and very good looking. I only miss a mirror on the cars in front of me so I would be able to look at the double corona rings continuously
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #495
jeffc42
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 335i, on order: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_bmw View Post
My Dutch BMW 320iA Luxury Line Sedan (heated steering wheel, M sport suspension, 17" 414 wheels) has a vibration too.
Starts just before 80km/h and practically ends at 100 km/h.
Do you have variable sport steering?

We are looking for people who have steering wheel vibrations and variable sport steering.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #496
rado
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklander View Post
Hi jeffc42,

Wow, those are some big tires! Just kidding . Since your car seems to be a bit of an outlier, maybe some more information would help. 2012 or 2013? Model? What transmission, manual, 8AT, or 8AT sport? Adaptive sport suspension, or standard sport suspension?

Thanks in advance,
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #497
dc_bmw
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc42 View Post
Do you have variable sport steering?

We are looking for people who have steering wheel vibrations and variable sport steering.
No, I do not have Vibration Sport Steering.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #498
kirklander
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Wow, those are some big tires! Just kidding . Since your car seems to be a bit of an outlier, maybe some more information would help. 2012 or 2013? Model? What transmission, manual, 8AT, or 8AT sport? Adaptive sport suspension, or standard sport suspension?

Thanks in advance,
335i sport 2012 model, automatic transmission ( 8 ) with shift paddles, adaptive M suspension, VSS,
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 02:16 AM   #499
senmurv76
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 320i

I have a feeling that the issue is limited to F30s which do not have VSS. The very few folks with VSS who are experinceing vibration could possible rectify the problem with a simple wheel balancing.

My local BMW QIC guy was confident that BMW will have a fix within a few weeks ..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 03:28 AM   #500
a_k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G31 M550d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_bmw View Post
No, I do not have Vibration Sport Steering.
But you said before that you have vibration.

I should get my 328 in a week (with VSS). This is one of the first things I will check. But to be honest this is stupid... when I receive it instead of enjoying it I have to test it for faults.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 04:39 AM   #501
dc_bmw
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Today I tested the advice I got from the dealer: let the tires set themselves by simply driving.
I picked a nice route and started some serious breaking in (car had about 480kms on it already, mostly freeway).

After 50km of curvy roads, slaloms, firm braking and and increasing gas pedal position, but still under 4000rpm and no tire squeeking, the issue is....

*** whoops, commercial break coming up ***

Hi, I'm back with my report:
Well, the issue is still there, but i can't feel it when I hold the wheel with two hands. When controlling the car with only three fingers I feel some restlessness in the wheel, but nothing serious. With no hands on the wheel there is clearly some movement that shouldn't be there. It is between 75 and 100 km/h. But i could no longer pinpoint a specific speed at which the vibration was at its worst.
So i'm thinking about doing another 50km of sporty driving after lunch and hope for the best. If it doesn't resolve the issue, i'll stop at the dealer and file an official complaint (so that I will be contacted in case of an available fix).

During the test of this morning, i also noticed that the car is eager to pull to the right. Dutch roads are of good quality and most of them bank to the right so that water is transported of the road. So it is to be expected that any car will eventually drive itself of the road. But, when driving in the middle or even the left side, the car sometimes still ended up on the right side. I am not sure that it is improperly aligned, as it wasn't as severe as i had om my E46 a few years ago when it was in great need of new tires. After replacing the tires, i never experienced it pulling to one side, except for the banking of the road.
I think that improperly aligned car have a different feel between left and right corners. I did not notice it. Nor did i notice any vibrations during firm braking.
To be continued...

(better test than complain, their is always a higher speed at which no vibration is experienced )
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #502
dc_bmw
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Continued:
- after another sporty drive the issue did not solve itself.
- i drove by the local dealership reporting the vibration and a the slight pulling to the right.
The service manager responded that my second issue is not considered to be linked to the vibration issue, but it may be the cause of the vibration. Aligned is a 30 minute fix, so I can bring in the car on Friday for re-alignment and have coffee and cookies in the meantime
He also confirmed that not all cars suffer from this issue, so there is hope that re-aligned will help me out.

He also told me he expects BMW to come up with a fix, but had no information on when to expect it. Meanwhile the dealership ordered a machine to road force balance cars as that has fixed it for several customers. They expect the machine within 8 weeks

I am happy they fully understand my issue and are willing to try possible fixes.
Thankfully the vibration is not very severe so I will still enjoy my car.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #503
senmurv76
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 320i

They did a road force test on mine and it improved the vibration only slightly ... I hope they offer u fresh Stroopwafels ..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #504
dc_bmw
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by senmurv76
They did a road force test on mine and it improved the vibration only slightly ... I hope they offer u fresh Stroopwafels ..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #505
aleksl
Dinan 2
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

I had a 2012 320i 8 speed auto loaner when my 335i was in for an oil change and brakes.

It had a vibration. It was very noticable. I would be very annoyed with a brand new car if it did this all day long.
      10-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #506
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

There's another forum here that is saying that turning DSC off stiffens the steering in comfort mode.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12775722

One theory here is that the steering wheel vibration is being caused by the EPS.

I wonder if disabling DSC would reduce the vibration effect by reducing the EPS boost? Has anyone tried that?

I don't have the issue, so I can't tell if it helps or not.

Someone want to volunteer?
Appreciate 0