F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F30 steering wheel retrofit
proTUNING Freaks

04-15-2017, 04:31 PM   #1
dombera
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 M40i

F30 steering wheel retrofit

Hi,

I've got 2015 LCI F30 320i xDrive Sport (late 2015).

My car has a sport line steering wheel which I really do not like. Its hard, thin and really limits the view on the dashboard. This is the one:
Name:  F30steer.jpeg
Views: 15658
Size:  42.8 KB

I would like to replace it with the m sport version which looks like:
Name:  f30 msport.jpeg
Views: 5868
Size:  24.6 KB

Few quesitons I have:

1. I have found m sport on ebay, mint condition, comes from 2015 f32 4 series. It comes with an airbag.
I know it will fit to my car but wanted to check with you if it does not matter that came from a different car in regards to the airbag. Could this possibly affect safety? Are airbags set with different settings based on the model, front size etc? Or am I safe to use this steering wheel in my car?

2. The steering wheel has paddle shifters (as does my sport steering wheel) and the buttons are exactly the same (functionality). Since buttons are the same I suspect that I will not need to code antything, or am I wrong?

I would appreciate your help.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 05:20 PM   #2
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

The only thing you need to make sure is that the airbag is UK (?Euro) spec. Otherwise it's plug and play.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 05:40 PM   #3
dombera
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKloud View Post
The only thing you need to make sure is that the airbag is UK (?Euro) spec. Otherwise it's plug and play.
Much appreciated, thank you for confirming.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 02:35 PM   #4
barchetta
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i

I have this same steering wheel and I despise it! thanks for posting this so I dont feel like Im a weirdo.. worst steering wheel ever BMW! Its hard as a rock, the stitching literally hurts on longer trips and there is no grip.. you have to hold it tight the whole time.. HORRIBLE.. and Im on a lease. May replace it anyway and hope they dont notice or swap it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dombera View Post
Hi,

I've got 2015 LCI F30 320i xDrive Sport (late 2015).

My car has a sport line steering wheel which I really do not like. Its hard, thin and really limits the view on the dashboard. This is the one:
Attachment 1607249

I would like to replace it with the m sport version which looks like:
Attachment 1607250

Few quesitons I have:

1. I have found m sport on ebay, mint condition, comes from 2015 f32 4 series. It comes with an airbag.
I know it will fit to my car but wanted to check with you if it does not matter that came from a different car in regards to the airbag. Could this possibly affect safety? Are airbags set with different settings based on the model, front size etc? Or am I safe to use this steering wheel in my car?

2. The steering wheel has paddle shifters (as does my sport steering wheel) and the buttons are exactly the same (functionality). Since buttons are the same I suspect that I will not need to code antything, or am I wrong?

I would appreciate your help.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 05:47 PM   #5
7iM3less
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP

I had the old steering wheel and replaced it with an m sport c/w paddles.

One of the greatest mods ever.

Before and after:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 11:57 AM   #6
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC328_F30 View Post
I had the old steering wheel and replaced it with an m sport c/w paddles.

One of the greatest mods ever.

Before and after:
Any coding required?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 02:23 PM   #7
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Any coding required?
There would be coding needed to enable the paddle shifters but that's it.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910931.00
      05-18-2018, 03:30 PM   #8
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailec View Post
Just did it. Don't have paddles so that doesn't matter. Everything works except the heating function. I guess the harness I bought was from a non heated wheel. Bummer.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 09:29 AM   #9
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Just did it. Don't have paddles so that doesn't matter. Everything works except the heating function. I guess the harness I bought was from a non heated wheel. Bummer.
Ah ok. Well why not get a new harness then? They're not unreasonably expensive and it would suck to lose a function that came with your car.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 09:31 AM   #10
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ah ok. Well why not get a new harness then? They're not unreasonably expensive and it would suck to lose a function that came with your car.
You're right, I'm going to look into that come fall
      05-19-2018, 09:40 AM   #11
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You're right, I'm going to look into that come fall
It was invaluable to me during winter. Definitely should have it if it gets cold where you are.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910931.00
      05-19-2018, 07:32 PM   #12
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It was invaluable to me during winter. Definitely should have it if it gets cold where you are.
Found it! Only $45 luckily:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/32307848331/

(This one is specific to wheels with heating but w/o paddle shifters)
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 09:29 PM   #13
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Found it! Only $45 luckily:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/32307848331/

(This one is specific to wheels with heating but w/o paddle shifters)
You're good to go!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 07:06 AM   #14
Bayliss02
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 F34

Help please

HI guys, can anyone offer any advice please. I too have the same nasty steering wheel and want to replace it with the M Sport wheel..

I don't currently have paddle shifters, however the M sport steering wheel i have found comes with the paddle shifters on it already. I understand that i would need to run some kind of cable from pin 5 at the passenger footwell connector to pin 3 on the steering wheel?

Does anyone have a complete list of items you need to complete the retrofit? would i need a harness? what cable do i need to run from the passenger footwell etc?

any help would be hugely appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 12:22 PM   #15
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss02 View Post
HI guys, can anyone offer any advice please. I too have the same nasty steering wheel and want to replace it with the M Sport wheel..

I don't currently have paddle shifters, however the M sport steering wheel i have found comes with the paddle shifters on it already. I understand that i would need to run some kind of cable from pin 5 at the passenger footwell connector to pin 3 on the steering wheel?

Does anyone have a complete list of items you need to complete the retrofit? would i need a harness? what cable do i need to run from the passenger footwell etc?

What year is your car and what line? I have a 2013 Luxury Line and my car came pre-wired for paddles. There's nothing that would've indicated this to me, but I swapped the wheel and enabled the paddles and it worked. You can always check your FEM module to see if it's pre-wired. There's plenty of threads about swapping wheels, search and you'll find one that gives you the info you need. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 12:27 PM   #16
Bayliss02
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 F34

Quote:
Quote:

What year is your car and what line? I have a 2013 Luxury Line and my car came pre-wired for paddles. There's nothing that would've indicated this to me, but I swapped the wheel and enabled the paddles and it worked. You can always check your FEM module to see if it's pre-wired. There's plenty of threads about swapping wheels, search and you'll find one that gives you the info you need. Good luck!
It's a 2013 sport. It's not pre wired for paddles though so not sure what cable I need to buy. Have tried searching the various forums but haven't found a comprehensive list. I'm fairly ok with the install part it's just knowing exactly what parts I need. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 12:31 PM   #17
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's a 2013 sport. It's not pre wired for paddles though so not sure what cable I need to buy. Have tried searching the various forums but haven't found a comprehensive list. I'm fairly ok with the install part it's just knowing exactly what parts I need. Thanks!
Wait your car is a sport line? Sport lines I'm almost 100% sure are always pre-wired for paddles.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 07:06 AM   #18
gameson
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i N20

Quote:
Wait your car is a sport line? Sport lines I'm almost 100% sure are always pre-wired for paddles.

are you sure sport line pre LCI car is pre wired for the paddle so I don't need to buy / run cable from the passenger?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 08:08 AM   #19
Jeffmiller32
Rep
Drives: 335i

Kies motor sports has a video on YouTube for installing the steering wheel with paddle shifters. There is a harness in the kick panel if it already has the pin in place you don't not have to run the wire. If not you do. It explains it step by step.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 10:11 AM   #20
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

if you are going to do it, you might as well get the upgraded steering wheel not the stock one

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0