F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Stock suspension understeer?
ARMA SPEED

01-24-2013, 03:06 AM   #1
Sephanite
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Stock suspension understeer?

Is anyone feeling understeer like a loss in traction from the front end when entering a corner? it feels like the front of my car is not planted on the road at all like the rear
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport BSM

I thought my car (Sport Line with VSS but stock suspension) turns in pretty ok but then the front starts scrubbing much earlier than I would expect in a "sports" sedan. It is definitely been set up towards being safe and controllable for the vast majority of motorists unfortunately.

I have VSS though so that might have helped the initial turn-in. But I wouldn't say the front end isn't planted at all like the rear, just not quite as planted as the rear.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
Sephanite
Captain
Rep

are u SE Melbourne? Care for a meet?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

I agree completely, a lot of push into corners even at low speeds you can feel it. I suspect I likely increased it even more by upgrading to 19s and adding to the rake of my car. My plan is to change out the springs either to OE M-Sports or HRs and see what that does. I assume the slight drop and stiffer springs will fix most, if not all of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
Sephanite
Captain
Rep

noticed this feeling is from the 328's?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Yes, good point, the 328s and the odd thing about that is any of the car magazines that tested both 328 and 335, said they preferred the 328 because it was more balanced and less oversteer. They preferred the power of the 335 but said the the heavier engine was considerably more noticeable and wasnt as fun to drive. I havent driven the 335 so cant compare.

I was going to say maybe its just the base suspension but I see JCTG has the Sport Line with VSS. Is that any different than the base suspension, meaning is that the M-Sport Suspension or Sport Line is just the appearance package and not necessarily the suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephanite View Post
noticed this feeling is from the 328's?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport BSM

Sport Line in Australia comes with standard suspension unless you spec otherwise. I know in the US Sport Line comes with Sports Suspension.

I am considering getting Eibach springs. The car, apart from the understeer, is too soft and "boaty" anyway. The car rides quite high. Hopefully that will help the understeer (probably not as it seems to be really prominent mid-corner ).

Or else I just have to use my right foot more.

No, Sephanite I am not in SE Melb. I live in Southbank. Let me get through Feb and March (busy months for me) and I should be able to come for a meet later in the year.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 12:11 AM   #8
Sephanite
Captain
Rep

i would have assumed that BMW would have balanced the car for the higher model, the 335. That is what i am assuming is causing the lightness in the front.

jctg: the car does ride high and turns like a boat. try making the suspension settle a bit more and see how u go
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 12:28 AM   #9
**Matt**
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330

Recently got into a 335i sportline on standard suspension. Coming from 2006 E90 330i sport, I can definitely feel the understeer and overall lack of steering feel in comparison. This car feels late when entering corners or quick maneuvers. It does seem to finally connect but the response is not the same. The old car would attack the corners diving right in feeling planted the whole time. I'm hoping it's just going to take some time to get used to. I'm coming from a 6spd MT as well so that may have something to do with it. A completely different car overall. I really wish I got a car with sport suspension at least. Springs/shocks are definitely in order.

Loving the power though! The torque in low RPM's is wonderful.