F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > F30 F3x DIY Xenon Headlight Adjustment / Alignment
proTUNING Freaks

11-10-2014, 12:22 AM   #45
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

Thanks for the info! It was the inner hole and just a screwdriver did it to mine.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #46
beppeM3+123d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 dct + 123d e81

in some post i see that exist a std setup with sizes that can be measured into a white wall, can someone help me to find it because this diy is not ok for f32 where alignment is made only with inside regulation and not the outside as in f30
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #47
rentien
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i, 2020 M2 Competition

Hi,

So, I also think that the OEM/stock setting for my headlights is too low. The question for me, is how much higher I want to adjust them. I don't want to be blinding people, but I would like to see further.

I can see on the highway (when i am looking farther ahead) that the cutoff happens right before the spot I usually look at... maybe about 20 feet before where I look at. This actually makes me like halogen's better because after the cutoff you get zero light basically, so I just end up looking into the darkness at night.

Anyways, according to this website:
http://www.accessconnect.com/fog_dri...hts_wiring.htm

Headlights are normally aimed 4 inches under the centerline for the headlights. What I would like to do is lessen the anti-glare "safety factor"

If this is confirmed to be correct (4 inches downward over 25 feet as safety factor) then could one try moving up 2 inches or maybe even 3-4 inches to bring the headlights level? This way I could see all the way down the road.

I have had a hard time getting an idea for where "horizontal" is, and then measure the anti-glare safety factor. I just want to lessen this as I think the headlights are pointed too much down because BMW is just being overly conservative.

Although a simple calculation: arctan (4in/25ft) = 0.76 degrees. That is not a lot of safety factor...

The headlights definitely look like they are aimed a lot lower than just 0.76 degrees downwards.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 11:35 AM   #48
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Hello,

I want to adjust my high beam lights, for if I am behind an SUV or any station/wagon car, my light would barely reach up to their mirrors or trunks if I am less than 7 meters behind them. Is this how I also adjust the high beam lights or is this for everything?

Thanks
      12-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #49
rentien
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i, 2020 M2 Competition

Nickhelou,

(Others please correct me if I am wrong).

I am assuming you have Xenon headlights. The highbeam is the same as the Xenon Headlights, with the blocking shutter removed when you activate the highbeams, so yes, aim for the low and high beams is one and the same.

I have noticed the same thing. I think this is unavoidable due to the fact that Xenon's come out of a lens, and are more directional than Halogen headlights.

So you would have to point everything, including low beams up, which may make your low beams point too high.

Maybe there is a way to change the shutter and how far up or down it moves, but I'm not sure if thats even possible...
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 08:14 PM   #50
David9962000
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke

Bump.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 01:27 PM   #51
Max@TMB
Rep
Drives: m4

Headlights aimed lower after Dinan springs were installed, can confirm that the inner not the outer hole adjusts vertical height, use a 6MM Allen wrench.

No cap needed to be removed on my 2015.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 12:33 PM   #52
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rentien View Post
Hi,

So, I also think that the OEM/stock setting for my headlights is too low. The question for me, is how much higher I want to adjust them. I don't want to be blinding people, but I would like to see further.

I can see on the highway (when i am looking farther ahead) that the cutoff happens right before the spot I usually look at... maybe about 20 feet before where I look at. This actually makes me like halogen's better because after the cutoff you get zero light basically, so I just end up looking into the darkness at night.

Anyways, according to this website:
http://www.accessconnect.com/fog_dri...hts_wiring.htm

Headlights are normally aimed 4 inches under the centerline for the headlights. What I would like to do is lessen the anti-glare "safety factor"

If this is confirmed to be correct (4 inches downward over 25 feet as safety factor) then could one try moving up 2 inches or maybe even 3-4 inches to bring the headlights level? This way I could see all the way down the road.

I have had a hard time getting an idea for where "horizontal" is, and then measure the anti-glare safety factor. I just want to lessen this as I think the headlights are pointed too much down because BMW is just being overly conservative.

Although a simple calculation: arctan (4in/25ft) = 0.76 degrees. That is not a lot of safety factor...

The headlights definitely look like they are aimed a lot lower than just 0.76 degrees downwards.
I read the link you provided and it says the fog lights are supposed to cut off 4" below the center line, and the driving lamps (xenon) are supposed to cutoff at the center line. Did you ever figure out the best adjustment?

I just converted from halogen to adaptive xenon headlamps (I don't have the auto leveling feature because I haven't retrofitted that part yet). This is my first time ever having bi-xenon headlamps and I'm not sure what the appropriate cut off is. The driver's side seems kinda low, but I don't wanna raise them too much as to bother other drivers at night.
      10-05-2015, 04:15 AM   #53
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI DCT

So is it clockwise to raise the light beam? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 04:59 PM   #54
DrPhant0m
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 335xGT M, Estoril Blue

I just got an F34 (GT) on CPO, and while I don't think the car was ever in an accident or anything... there's something up with the low beams.

When I have the low beams on... there is a noticeable line on the road ahead of me, as though the driver side headlight is pointing lower than the passenger side. It looks like this out in front of me.:

````````````________
_______/ ................................(The dashes are only so that my ASCII drawing lines up correctly in this post)

... if that makes any sense. Normally I'd expect a smooth arc of light out in front of my car, but that break in the middle is very noticeable. One benefit is that it's easy to see the dynamic adjustment of the lights when I move the steering wheel even slightly, because that center part shifts a few feet in either direction. lol

The high beams do not do this... and in fact, I can light up the treetops with my high beams. The low beams, barely light the license plate of the car in front of me.

Now that the days are getting shorter here in PA... it's becoming more of an issue as I drive home in the dark now.

Do I need an adjustment? Should I do it myself, or take it to a dealership?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 07:21 PM   #55
w5xz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 x-3 28i x-dr, 2012 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
me 2...

my driver's side headlight is WAY too low..normal, or brights on...sensed it, driving, and confirmed with me in front of my girlfriend, driving at night, with me 100 yards ahead of her...too bad the initial post's pix seem to be gone now??

dan in texas
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 07:49 AM   #56
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by w5xz View Post
my driver's side headlight is WAY too low..normal, or brights on...sensed it, driving, and confirmed with me in front of my girlfriend, driving at night, with me 100 yards ahead of her...too bad the initial post's pix seem to be gone now??

dan in texas
Yeah, wish the links could be fixed.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 10:47 AM   #57
DrPhant0m
Private
Rep

I tried adjusting my headlights to correct the weird "backslash" pattern with my low beams, and was surprised to find out that it seems that both of my headlights are simultaneously projecting this pattern. When adjusting the DS or PS headlight, the pattern just went "out of focus" and showed two of the same backslash pattern. Standing in front of one headlight or the other, I confirmed that the pattern still existed, just not as bright.

It's nice to know that if one of my headlights go out, I won't lose visibility completely on that side... but it also leaves me scratching my head on how to adjust my headlights correctly. I'm hesitant to take it to a dealership because of the inconvenience of arranging the appointment... but I don't know how to adjust this myself now.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 09:34 AM   #58
w5xz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
I gave it a shot, last night. my driver's side was way way too low. had to crank on the white adjuster a good bit. felt like i reached the end of travel. a bit better. passenger side was way to high, with brights on, so i moved it down a bit. the 'line' on my garage wall with brights on is now about even...will see how it looks tonight.

regards, dan
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 07:20 AM   #59
w5xz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
more xenon grief..

I was able to even up the high beams with the height adjuster screws...drivers side too low, passenger side too high...but, the shutter mechanism really ruins the low beam pattern, esp on the driver side...spot moved from 3 feet ahead of vehicle to 15 feet...NOT good, IMHO

I saw a zillion posts on the E90 forum about sensors and such...so will take a
peek underneath..

still under warranty, but my best dealership is an hour away and typically keeps my car all day, with no loaner...translation, we take 2 cars over there...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 08:27 AM   #60
DrPhant0m
Private
Rep

Quote:
the shutter mechanism really ruins the low beam pattern, esp on the driver side...
Is this the same problem that I'm having? There's a "backslash" pattern that I can't fix with the adjustment screws. I'm just able to bring it in/out of focus (each beam is creating a slash in the middle) or move it up/down/left/right.

See my post earlier for a crude depiction of it.

I guess this is something I need to get fixed at the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 11:35 AM   #61
w5xz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
maybe so. i think the backslash pattern only shows up on low beams. there's a shutter-type mechanism inside the headlight, i think, that steers the light pattern down, effectively..

to me, it makes sense to adjust the screws with high beams, so at least you can see when you need to!! of course, this could be completely wrong...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 01:08 PM   #62
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhant0m
Is this the same problem that I'm having? There's a "backslash" pattern that I can't fix with the adjustment screws. I'm just able to bring it in/out of focus (each beam is creating a slash in the middle) or move it up/down/left/right.

See my post earlier for a crude depiction of it.

I guess this is something I need to get fixed at the dealer?
Are you new to HID headlights? The diagonal step in the beam cutoff (which is actually a forward slash in left hand drive cars) is designed to further reduce glare for oncoming traffic. If the entire beam was flat at the higher level it might be more prone to blind oncoming drivers. If it was flat at the lower level you'd get less illumination. I would venture to say it's always been this way, as my E30 projector lenses have the same type of pattern.

I've attached a photo that depicts aiming. In the US, DOT requirement is a 2-2.5 inch drop at 25 feet from beam output. For example, if your lenses are 20 inches off the ground, the beam should hit a wall 25 feet away (on flat ground) at 17.5-18 inches above ground level. European requirements are for a 3 inch drop, so this might be why we all feel the need for an adjustment.

[IMG]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...evised-2nd.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 03:23 PM   #63
w5xz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
well, rats !

my inner bulbs never light, hi or low beam...only the outer ones...

that can't be right ?

(hey, i've only had the car a few days )

any suggestions beyond 'rush to your dealer'?

first experience with adaptive bi-xenon's myself..

dan
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 03:38 PM   #64
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
my inner bulbs never light, hi or low beam...only the outer ones...

that can't be right ?

(hey, i've only had the car a few days )

any suggestions beyond 'rush to your dealer'?

first experience with adaptive bi-xenon's myself..

dan
That's a good thing! The inner projectors are only cosmetic, they don't function. The outer projectors function as both high and low beams, they swivel with the steering wheel, and the fog lights double as cornering lights.
      11-25-2015, 03:47 PM   #65
w5xz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
whew! thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 07:23 PM   #66
w5xz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
rear axle sensor?

from scouting the e90 forums, maybe this is my 'issue' ?

on the rear, driver's side axle, there seems to be a sensor, connected from
the chassis to the axle...little arm thing, looks like it pivots...black box, with
wiring to who knows where..

i wonder, is that the thing that decides how low the shutter drops on low
beams? nothing looks broken or inverted..

my low beams are still way too low...

regards, dan
Appreciate 0