F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Expected Condition of an Approved Used Car
Studio RSR

01-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
oldnail
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 320i

Expected Condition of an Approved Used Car

Hi folks,

Thought I would ask opinions from your good selves about what condition you would expect an Approved Used Car to be in.

I'm looking at an F30 on Thursday. It was registered in March and has only 1300 miles on it. It was one of the "Olympic Cars". It's loaded with extras and the price is very good (comparable with cars of the same age but with no extras on them).

Now, my question is, what would be termed "reasonable condition" for a car of this type?

My feeling is that it should be almost showroom fresh, there should be no bodywork, wheel damage or windscreen damage, certainly no scrapes, possibly a chip or two on the front might be acceptable? Interior wise, it should be perfect I would think.

The reason that I ask is that I've bought three AUCs before, and the first two were in really good condition (they had 3k and 1.5k miles on them respectively, ironically the one with 1.5k was in worse condition that the one with 3k), but the third one (which as 6 months old and had 6000 miles on it) was in terrible condition to the point where I left it back (and bought my current 318i new instead).

So I'm wondering if I'm expecting too much in terms of the condition? What I usually end up doing is comparing the condition with the car I'm trading in which is my 318i, which is in perfect condition (30k miles and a few chips on the front but nothing else) and then being disappointed.

I have the option of walking away from this one if the condition is not to the level I expect, but I'm just concerned that I'm setting unfeasibly high expectations (i.e. expecting the car to be effectively brand new).

All opinions gratefully accepted!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnail View Post
Hi folks,

Thought I would ask opinions from your good selves about what condition you would expect an Approved Used Car to be in.

I'm looking at an F30 on Thursday. It was registered in March and has only 1300 miles on it. It was one of the "Olympic Cars". It's loaded with extras and the price is very good (comparable with cars of the same age but with no extras on them).

Now, my question is, what would be termed "reasonable condition" for a car of this type?

My feeling is that it should be almost showroom fresh, there should be no bodywork, wheel damage or windscreen damage, certainly no scrapes, possibly a chip or two on the front might be acceptable? Interior wise, it should be perfect I would think.

The reason that I ask is that I've bought three AUCs before, and the first two were in really good condition (they had 3k and 1.5k miles on them respectively, ironically the one with 1.5k was in worse condition that the one with 3k), but the third one (which as 6 months old and had 6000 miles on it) was in terrible condition to the point where I left it back (and bought my current 318i new instead).

So I'm wondering if I'm expecting too much in terms of the condition? What I usually end up doing is comparing the condition with the car I'm trading in which is my 318i, which is in perfect condition (30k miles and a few chips on the front but nothing else) and then being disappointed.

I have the option of walking away from this one if the condition is not to the level I expect, but I'm just concerned that I'm setting unfeasibly high expectations (i.e. expecting the car to be effectively brand new).

All opinions gratefully accepted!
I bought an AUC, 2700 miles. Car was like new except for scuffed alloys, which dealer repaired to as new condition.
I have seen a few AUC with lots of stone chips on the bonnet + one 328 had a very noisy ( tappety ) engine.
Shop about, plenty of cars about and more appear each month.
Walk away if you are not happy with the car you see on Thursday, there will always be another.
Which model F30 are you interested in ?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

You should expect fair wear and tear in my opinion. Some people expect approved new or ex-management cars to not have a single mark on them which isn't realistic. For a car with that milleage I would expect a stone chip or two, perhaps a scuff where people have got in/out but not much more. Anything you are not happy with ask the dealer if they would put it right, but that mean you need to go over it very carefully before you sign.

In its short life it will have had a lot of people getting in and out, and perhaps their luggage too so check around those areas. Check if the wheels have been refurbished and if they have is it a good finish?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
oldnail
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isow View Post
I bought an AUC, 2700 miles. Car was like new except for scuffed alloys, which dealer repaired to as new condition.
I have seen a few AUC with lots of stone chips on the bonnet + one 328 had a very noisy ( tappety ) engine.
Shop about, plenty of cars about and more appear each month.
Walk away if you are not happy with the car you see on Thursday, there will always be another.
Which model F30 are you interested in ?
Its a 320d Efficient dynamics with sport auto, professional multimedia, DAB, 5 year servicing and some other kit that I've forgotten.

The car that I rejected the last time with 6k miles on it had a front that looked like it had been pebble dashed and quite substantial windscreen damage that I didn't notice until I was driving home and a small dent in the side of it that I didn't notice until I got home. This has made me a bit reticent about buying AUC again. I suppose I just need to keep my eyes open as you say!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
oldnail
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
You should expect fair wear and tear in my opinion. Some people expect approved new or ex-management cars to not have a single mark on them which isn't realistic. For a car with that milleage I would expect a stone chip or two, perhaps a scuff where people have got in/out but not much more. Anything you are not happy with ask the dealer if they would put it right, but that mean you need to go over it very carefully before you sign.

In its short life it will have had a lot of people getting in and out, and perhaps their luggage too so check around those areas. Check if the wheels have been refurbished and if they have is it a good finish?
Thanks for this, yes forgot about checking around the top of the rear bumper where people slide luggage in and out - good one!

I'm hopeful that, as the wheels are only 16" on the 320d efficient dynamics, they will be reasonably well protected from the kerbs but I'll give them a thorough check!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
oldnail
Private
Rep

Hi folks,

Had a look at the F30 today. Spent some time going over it, they had it inside so I could see all of the bodywork without any rain or other weather. Have to say that it was in pretty good condition as far as I could see. The only things I could find were a couple of very small chips on the front drivers side wing and some very minor scuffing on the bonnet (ironically it was in exactly the same place and the same shape as some scuffing on the last e90 I bought ... don't know what that says). They're going to fix this before delivery. Interior was in perfect condition.

So, I bought it () and should pick it up next Wednesday, spec (as much as I can remember is as follows):

320d Efficient Dynamics - Mineral Grey
8 speed sport automatic
Professional Multimedia Package
Front Parking Sensors
Connected Drive
DAB
Folding and dimming mirrors
Interior Comfort Package
Sun Protection Glass
Servotronic Steering

Roll on next Wednesday!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi folks,

Had a look at the F30 today. Spent some time going over it, they had it inside so I could see all of the bodywork without any rain or other weather. Have to say that it was in pretty good condition as far as I could see. The only things I could find were a couple of very small chips on the front drivers side wing and some very minor scuffing on the bonnet (ironically it was in exactly the same place and the same shape as some scuffing on the last e90 I bought ... don't know what that says). They're going to fix this before delivery. Interior was in perfect condition.

So, I bought it () and should pick it up next Wednesday, spec (as much as I can remember is as follows):

320d Efficient Dynamics - Mineral Grey
8 speed sport automatic
Professional Multimedia Package
Front Parking Sensors
Connected Drive
DAB
Folding and dimming mirrors
Interior Comfort Package
Sun Protection Glass
Servotronic Steering

Roll on next Wednesday!
Did you drive it ?
If not, why not ?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
oldnail
Private
Rep

Quote:
Did you drive it ?
If not, why not ?
Good point! I haven't taken it on a test drive, started the engine and gave it a run to see if there were any nasty noises but haven't driven it any distance.

They did offer to let me take it out, but relying on the warranty being good should there be anything wrong mechanically. You've worried me now!

Having said that, with the exception of the first E46 I bought 10 years ago, I've only ever been on a couple of miles of a test drive in the last two cars I've bought which wouldn't really show a whole lot I suspect ... but still a lot better than none!

Got wrapped up in making sure that it was in good condition ... dammit!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Sounds a nice car, what dealer are you using in NI?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #10
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Good point! I haven't taken it on a test drive, started the engine and gave it a run to see if there were any nasty noises but haven't driven it any distance.

They did offer to let me take it out, but relying on the warranty being good should there be anything wrong mechanically. You've worried me now!

Having said that, with the exception of the first E46 I bought 10 years ago, I've only ever been on a couple of miles of a test drive in the last two cars I've bought which wouldn't really show a whole lot I suspect ... but still a lot better than none!

Got wrapped up in making sure that it was in good condition ... dammit!
I am not being funny with you, but I would have thought it obvious to drive the car !
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #11
oldnail
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
Sounds a nice car, what dealer are you using in NI?
Bavarian Belfast.

They had a few of these cars but I think that the current batch is just about finished now. I put a deposit down just after Christmas, pending it being in good condition which I'm reasonably happy with.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #12
oldnail
Private
Rep

Quote:
I am not being funny with you, but I would have thought it obvious to drive the car !
Not too worried about it.

If it doesn't drive properly, it goes back ... thats what I did with the last one (which drove beautifully but wasn't in A1 condition). It'll get a proper test drive next weekend.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #13
PopeHamish
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Black Edition

Looking forward to seeing the pics.

I must say Mineral Grey is my favourite of the colours I've seen in the flesh. The car you're getting has great spec too!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #14
oldnail
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopeHamish View Post
Looking forward to seeing the pics.

I must say Mineral Grey is my favourite of the colours I've seen in the flesh. The car you're getting has great spec too!
Thanks! It does look good in the flesh. Hopefully, there weather will be good when I pick it up and I can get some pics!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Not too worried about it.

If it doesn't drive properly, it goes back ... thats what I did with the last one (which drove beautifully but wasn't in A1 condition). It'll get a proper test drive next weekend.
I bought my AUC 535i without a test drive, first time ever, just took delivery, headed for the motorway and 300 miles ahead. I did see it on my way south, while being prepared in the garage, but never took it out on the road as they were working on the engine, (which I knew about) waiting for a part from Germany. True I had tested the F10/11 in other models, so knew what to expect driving wise. Still can't believe I did it that way, just swapping cars on the way north.

Reputation of the garage was on the line, sales manager had driven it after delivery from BMW HQ, and assured me every thing was as it should be. And it has proved to be.

That's the forth BMW AUC bought 'blind' in the family. My son has bought both his X3 vehicles without driving them, first one without even driving an X3. I drove one and gave him the low down. Brother in law bought an Z3 that way as well. Even had it delivered to Scotland from Park Lane BMW, guys arrived for breakfast, drove up over night. My son's first X3 also came from Park Lane, (best deal for a used X3 in the country at the time) again delivered up here, they simply said "it will be to your satisfaction," and it was.

HighlandPete

PS: Enjoy when you get it.

HP
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #16
oldnail
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I bought my AUC 535i without a test drive, first time ever, just took delivery, headed for the motorway and 300 miles ahead. I did see it on my way south, while being prepared in the garage, but never took it out on the road as they were working on the engine, (which I knew about) waiting for a part from Germany. True I had tested the F10/11 in other models, so knew what to expect driving wise. Still can't believe I did it that way, just swapping cars on the way north.

Reputation of the garage was on the line, sales manager had driven it after delivery from BMW HQ, and assured me every thing was as it should be. And it has proved to be.

That's the forth BMW AUC bought 'blind' in the family. My son has bought both his X3 vehicles without driving them, first one without even driving an X3. I drove one and gave him the low down. Brother in law bought an Z3 that way as well. Even had it delivered to Scotland from Park Lane BMW, guys arrived for breakfast, drove up over night. My son's first X3 also came from Park Lane, (best deal for a used X3 in the country at the time) again delivered up here, they simply said "it will be to your satisfaction," and it was.

HighlandPete

PS: Enjoy when you get it.

HP
Thanks HP!

The dealers do have a reputation to protect and I will say, on the one occasion that the AUC wasn't up to scratch, it was dealt with without any quibbles and in a very professional manner, so I'm not overly worried.

I've had test drives in F30s too, so I know what it should drive like.

Just hope the snow has disappeared by then!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #17
edz_f06
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F06 640d MSport

Congratulations, I'm sure you'll be pleased once you get your new car!

Best colour too
      01-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #18
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Not applicable to the OP as he is visiting the dealer but if you buy a car over the phone from a far away dealer you are covered by distance selling regs, these let you return the car if not as described etc. Means the dealers will try hard to ensure the car is in top condition before you get it.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #19
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
Not applicable to the OP as he is visiting the dealer but if you buy a car over the phone from a far away dealer you are covered by distance selling regs, these let you return the car if not as described etc. Means the dealers will try hard to ensure the car is in top condition before you get it.
In addition to what you say, I also think you get a sense of who you are dealing with in the way they communicate. I know in my case, when I talked about my car as a trade-in it was clear the sales manager was straight forward, that gave some confidence as well.

My car had an issue with the engine, which they found after I'd put a deposit on the car and agreed when to pick it up. The garage were 100% up front with me, welcomed my opinion, kept me updated as it developed with BMW. When I requested to see the engine, (as it could have been a deal breaker), no issues, were in fact very eager for me to see the car and explain the issue in full, around the bench.

It is good to know that some dealers really fly the flag for BMW.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #20
oldnail
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edz_f31 View Post
Congratulations, I'm sure you'll be pleased once you get your new car!

Best colour too
Thanks edz! Hadn't realised what a nice colour it is until I saw it for real.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #21
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
Sounds great.

I also have an Olympic Car and was tempted by the Mineral Grey with the Sports Auto boxes but eventually went with the MT one I have because of a few extra options

Obviously it doesnt really matter now, as you've found out by looking (and buying it!) Mine was in immaculate condition!
      01-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #22
oldnail
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladester100 View Post
Sounds great.

I also have an Olympic Car and was tempted by the Mineral Grey with the Sports Auto boxes but eventually went with the MT one I have because of a few extra options

Obviously it doesnt really matter now, as you've found out by looking (and buying it!) Mine was in immaculate condition!
Thanks Sladester, it was reading the threads about your car that started me looking!

Went for the auto as I spend a lot of time in heavy traffic. I notice that your car has the visibility pack which would have been good though.
Appreciate 0