F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 335 Ignition Failure
proTUNING Freaks

07-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
Jeff_in_Oviedo
Delivered!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 335 M Sport

335 Ignition Failure

So I was driving home and was only about 1/2 a mile from work. The engine was slightly warm, but hadn't been driven in about 5 hours. I got up to around 40mph, then had to stop for traffic. As the car stopped, then A.S.S. shut the engine off, then I got a warning on the screen that said there was an ignition failure and that I should not turn the engine off, as it may not restart. It also said to take the car in for service.

At this point, I was kinda pissed that the car would shut the engine off then tell me to not shut the engine off, how stupid. Anyway, I called the BMW service via the cars built in thing and they scheduled a tow, which would take about an hour to arrive (not terrible). My friend came and brought some tools. I disconnected the negative terminal and re-connected, but the car still wouldn't start. I disconnected it again and removed the BMS stage 2, then hooked the battery back up. The car fired right up. I drove it around, then home, and it was perfect. The only thing that I noticed that was a little weird was that the terminal that is under that red flip-up cover in the engine bay above the passenger tire was not very tight. It is where I stuck the wire to get power for the BMS, and when I went to unscrew it I noticed that I could just do it with my fingers, it was not tight. Other than that, nothing else was strange.

I plan on driving for a few days without the BMS just to make sure it wasn't that and that it doesn't happen again, at which point I will hook the BMS back up. I do not believe it is the unit that did it, but it is possible that the terminal bolt where I tapped for power came loose and spooked the ECU.

I'll keep this thread posted if anything like this happens again.
      07-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

#shouldaboughtaPPK

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
So there was really no problem with the 335's ignition...it was a problem with an aftermarket gadget installation. The thread title here is VERY misleading!

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
Koer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 2014 Sec. 50i

To be honest i've had the stage 2 for as long as its been out and never had a single problem. Messing with your battery terminals on a bmw is bad business man.. Should have hooked it up on the front charge terminal and negative to one of the strut nuts.

A sudden lack of connection to the battery will send that message, although my guess is it didnt start again because the sudden surge from the badly connected terminal could have fried your stage 2 controller. You should connect it to a pc, see if it still works.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Similar thing happened to me 2 times with Stage 1 (I have a 328i btw), fired right back up every time after removing the tune. Luckily it happened while I was driving so I could pull over somewhere, it wasn't when the motor shut off. Hasn't happened yet with Stage 2, knock on wood......
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
Jeff_in_Oviedo
Delivered!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 335 M Sport

roundel335 - The title of the thread is the title of the error that was displayed on the dashboard, nothing else. At the time of writing, there was no certainty as to what was the cause of the error.

Koer - I did have it hooked up where you suggested, not to the battery terminals. It wouldn't be possible to hook it up to the battery anyway, since it is like 10 feet away in the trunk. The positive wire is attached where they BMS suggests you attach it in the install manual, under that nut that takes a T50 torx piece to remove. The negative is attached to a bolt that holds down a small bar near by that is right next to the fuse box.

I re-attached the stage two that same night and connected it to a pc and it was fine. I tested the canbus connectivity by cycling maps with the steering wheel, all was fine. Fired the car up and it ran fine all day yesterday.

I have come to the conclusion that the positive wire for the bms unit had a bad connection and lost power, which caused the car to have problems. The bolt for the charge terminal most likely came loose over the last 2 months due to typical engine vibration and possibly because I may have not tightened it down enough initially.

Conclusion: If you have used this charge terminal area as suggested in the install guide to get power for your unit, tighten it down very well, and if it has been a while, then double-check that it is still tight.
      07-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_Oviedo View Post
roundel335 - The title of the thread is the title of the error that was displayed on the dashboard, nothing else. At the time of writing, there was no certainty as to what was the cause of the error.

Koer - I did have it hooked up where you suggested, not to the battery terminals. It wouldn't be possible to hook it up to the battery anyway, since it is like 10 feet away in the trunk. The positive wire is attached where they BMS suggests you attach it in the install manual, under that nut that takes a T50 torx piece to remove. The negative is attached to a bolt that holds down a small bar near by that is right next to the fuse box.

I re-attached the stage two that same night and connected it to a pc and it was fine. I tested the canbus connectivity by cycling maps with the steering wheel, all was fine. Fired the car up and it ran fine all day yesterday.

I have come to the conclusion that the positive wire for the bms unit had a bad connection and lost power, which caused the car to have problems. The bolt for the charge terminal most likely came loose over the last 2 months due to typical engine vibration and possibly because I may have not tightened it down enough initially.

Conclusion: If you have used this charge terminal area as suggested in the install guide to get power for your unit, tighten it down very well, and if it has been a while, then double-check that it is still tight.
A loose power wire will do that but don't listen to someone judging you about your title the guy is a rude cranky old man.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
Koer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 2014 Sec. 50i

Ohh! That makes sense, i actually thought you ran cables down to the back!.. Dunno ive seen people do some crazy things in this forum.

Might give mine a look aswell, i tightened it but heat cycles have a way of moving things.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
A loose power wire will do that but don't listen to someone judging you about your title the guy is a rude cranky old man.
And so what does your statement above say about YOU? Sounds to me like you're an arrogant boor, but then you might have to look that up on your smartphone to figure that out. If you start a thread about a possible ignition problem, that's one thing; if you label it an igniton FAILURE before you've even diagnosed the problem, that's quite another. I merely pointed out that the thread title was misleading and similar to calling in a "false alarm". Being a grown-up, I didn't cast any aspersions (use your smartphone on that one too) on the creator of the thread, just merely pointed out the obvious.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
And so what does your statement above say about YOU? Sounds to me like you're an arrogant boor, but then you might have to look that up on your smartphone to figure that out. If you start a thread about a possible ignition problem, that's one thing; if you label it an igniton FAILURE before you've even diagnosed the problem, that's quite another. I merely pointed out that the thread title was misleading and similar to calling in a "false alarm". Being a grown-up, I didn't cast any aspersions (use your smartphone on that one too) on the creator of the thread, just merely pointed out the obvious.
Look at your own statements about the PPK changing the suspension. You post such false information. You yell at people on this forum for the dumbest things. I look things up all the time and ask questions but the one thing you can't look up is common sense. Something that skipped you at genesis. I didn't include your name so leave mine out of your quotes. I don't wish to converse with ignorance.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #11
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Look at your own statements about the PPK changing the suspension. You post such false information. You yell at people on this forum for the dumbest things. I look things up all the time and ask questions but the one thing you can't look up is common sense. Something that skipped you at genesis. I didn't include your name so leave mine out of your quotes. I don't wish to converse with ignorance.
You might not have included his name, but you made it very clear and pointed who you were talking about. If you don't want to be named - don't make pointed comments about people. It's simple really.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #12
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
You might not have included his name, but you made it very clear and pointed who you were talking about. If you don't want to be named - don't make pointed comments about people. It's simple really.
Who are you again?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #13
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Who are you again?
Obviously not as self important as you are...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #14
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
Obviously not as self important as you are...
I was just curious why you would think, I would care what you have to say.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #15
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was just curious why you would think, I would care what you have to say.
Because you asked who I was, so it obviously got to you
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #16
Roki_014
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
#shouldaboughtaPPK
but even the ppk will make your turbos last less and probably a water pump, as you are using everything harder
Appreciate 0