F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > audio experts please chime in
Studio RSR

01-18-2014, 12:08 AM   #1
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i 6MT w/ MPS & MPE

audio experts please chime in

about to install a system to a HiFi system (Not HK). No combox for direct iPhone connection from USB.

I think it's a complicated install. The installer is experienced, but have a feeling his F30 experience is low. Worked on a bunch of BMW's before, especially E9x

source improvement:
install an HRT iStreamer DAC to the Aux-in in the arm rest. This will allow a digital line out from my current iPhone 4s and be compatible with iPhone 5/6 (lightening) when I change phones. Also improved DAC but slightly redundant with the Alpine processor. The HRT iStreamer will also charge the phone so it's a clean one cable connection. Higher quality than BT streaming audio.

front speakers:
install a set of Focal Polyglass 100V2. Concerned with the mounting depth as it's NOS and most new BMW's use the 100VRS or the 100KRS from Focal. the VRS/KRS have lower mounting depth.

underseat woofers:
he doesn't have a direct source with Gladden so doesn't have easy access to their OEM replacement drivers. No idea on the cost of these in Canada. In the short term will be reusing OEM ones and just power with a better amp.

center speaker:
most likely disconnecting. concerned with BT phone if it's used.

amp(s):
want to use the OEM amp to power the centre and rear fill but may still get a small 2 channel to power the rear and disconnect the center speaker. Will also add an Alpine PDX-5 (75W x 4 and 300W x 1). The PDX-5 will power the front components and the underseat woofers. The remaining 300W x 1 will be for a future sub. need to contact VP Electricity afterwards for a price on their 10" sub enclosure. May be easier than having my installer custom build one.

Sub:
want a custom enclosure in the trunk....left side or right. Undecided on specs/volume I can get and the sub woofer to use.

processor:
this is the big ticket addition recommended by installer. He's recommending the Alpine PXA-H800 with the RUX-c800 controller. The controller (C800) will either go in the glove box or under the cover behind the cup holders. Will need to relocate the 12V plug to under the glove box (OEM hole is there but CDN cars don't get the extra 12V plug) if I install here. The processor has two digital inputs and give me an option instead of using the iStreamer/Aux-IN, to install a transformer and power an Apple Airport express and run audio wirelessly to the processor digitally. Using a transformer complicates things but is potentially higher quality than using the Aux-In from BMW. update: just found Rocketfish makes a BT music receiver that has optical out.

--------

no real questions but opinions on this "planned" install would be great.

Last edited by focal; 01-18-2014 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 09:36 AM   #2
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by focal
...just found Rocketfish makes a BT music receiver that has optical out.
Streaming BT negates any sonic advantage the optical input might deliver.
      01-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #3
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

seems that the newest and highest quality is with the Apt-X codec over BT. There are other BT music receivers that have digital out besides rocket fish.

QED
http://www.amazon.co.uk/QED-uPlay-Bl.../dp/B00AO78UUQ

New Bluetooth 4.0 Music APT-X Audio Stereo Wireless Receiver iphone mp3 A2DP

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...073686520.html
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #4
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Have you looked into Morel for the under seat subs? I was looking into them and I believe from the stats they are shallow enough. I was going to take mine apart one day before spring and look to see. Also look at how the enclosure could be reinforced. Not sure about the new Focals working in the stock locations. I was a Focal and Dynaudio baby back in the day on the car stereo circuit well before people started to use them mainstream and they were my first go-to but they are too deep if their measurements are accurate. I know Scott Buwalda and his speaker company Hybrid Audio and his speakers drop right in and they are really good. I would take them over any other brand and it would be tough between Focal and Dyn if they had speakers that fit. I think if you went with a good quality sub and reinforced the enclosure you may not need an additional sub. We built many cars that won SQ in both USAC and IASCA with just a pair of 8s. If the enclosures are strong and you have decent power, I would think they would be enough unless you want to be heard coming down the street, but within the car it should be plenty.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 04:11 PM   #5
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

I ran hybrid L3 in my E60 and loved it. Really good midrange. I bought these NOS focal polyglass years ago but never installed. Hopefully they fit.

I just don't know the car audio scene anymore nor want to research too much. I just don't want to get into buying too much new gear as I have so much NOS after years of hoarding The amp is leftover also as is the HRt istreamer.

As for the subs I love dual 8's. Last two builds were using 8"x2. This f30 will nicely fit a single 10" and that is the plan. I am after SQ not SPL. I already have a slight permanent ring in the ears. Don't need to make it worse.

For me high quality audio is one of those must haves in a car. I spend 400-500 hours a year in a car.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 06:08 PM   #6
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by focal View Post
I ran hybrid L3 in my E60 and loved it. Really good midrange. I bought these NOS focal polyglass years ago but never installed. Hopefully they fit.

I just don't know the car audio scene anymore nor want to research too much. I just don't want to get into buying too much new gear as I have so much NOS after years of hoarding The amp is leftover also as is the HRt istreamer.

As for the subs I love dual 8's. Last two builds were using 8"x2. This f30 will nicely fit a single 10" and that is the plan. I am after SQ not SPL. I already have a slight permanent ring in the ears. Don't need to make it worse.

For me high quality audio is one of those must haves in a car. I spend 400-500 hours a year in a car.
I was looking to use the Focal polyglass as well but I dont think they will fit just putting them in there. Maybe build a raised mount? Worth a shot as you said you have them so might as well try, but from my research they wont just fit without modding if at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 06:31 PM   #7
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

The current focal line,100vrs and krs will fit. Believe the mounting is about 40-43mm. Still needs a spacer. The older polyglass I have is 59mm.

I agreed to buy the alpine h800 processor as I think it will make the system. All the potential eq power and time alignment capability.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #8
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

If you disconnect the Center HiFi speaker, the BT phone works fine but sounds mostly like the person is to your left rather than in front of you. The Audio from the phone appears to have a significant left-side bias that's masked by the mushed left/right going to the center speaker. I don't know if it's reversed for right-hand-drive cars, but I would kind of assume it is. Has anyone had a different experience?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #9
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

dropped the car off this morning and we had a long chat about the various options.

my installer isn't a picture person, so won't be an install in progress type thread.

the BMW amp is yanked. To power the rear and the centre will be a cheap 45wx4 Alpine amp. Tiny thing good for rear fill and the centre channel (http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ktp-445u). So we're keeping the center channel for now, but it'll be easy to yank the channel.

The gains will be greatly reduced for the rears. The sound level is too much from the factory.

the polyglass woofer should just fit in the doors but one of the tweeters was actually blown. turns out the set I bought years ago came off a board and wasn't disclosed they were damaged. I have an old set of tweeters from the Focal 136kx line (LOVED THIS SET!). very old but perfectly fine and higher quality than the TN47. it's a silk tweeter so should be less bright. if this fails, I don't want to impulse buy a new set of components yet. I will install a set of 4"woofers & tweeters off a E60 (w/ logic 7) from the previous car. These E60 drivers look better than the ones that came on the F30. The options for new components are Focal VRS/KRS, Morel Hybrid 402 or Hybrid Audio L1/L3 combo. didn't want to rush buy today a new set. He only sells focal but can get morel. Cannot access Hybrid Audio.

the Alpine C800 controller will be placed in the arm rest now instead of fixing it in the ash tray area behind the cup holders. we both tried to work out scenarios where we would use the controller. only time would be to change presets. I won't be using the volume control, nor toggling inputs. there is going to be enough slack so I can pull it out, hold it and use the controls to tune new presets. The USB cable is in the glove box if I want the full laptop version of the software.

here was the big surprise. The HRT iStreamer wasn't that good. We both strained to hear if there was an improvement over using the headphone jack on the iPhone. this is VERY surprising!!!! Seems there was a bit of distortion and a muffled sound. More serious listening will be needed before switching to an analogue line out solution instead for the iPhone. I thought the digital out to a better DAC would be better.

having the HiFi sound instead of the HK sound definitely will be easier for an install. Having analogue line out of the iDrive deck makes hooking up and potentially cleaner signal for the processor and amps.

front doors were fully dynamat already within the hour. their installer works fast.

a second Aux-in will be fed into the arm rest area. Even though I don't plan to use it day to day, it will be interesting to see if a direct feed to the processor instead of using the BMW aux in would give you better sound.

as I was sold, the Alpine PXA-H800 is the key to good sound. Even if I just install the processor and aftermarket amps with OEM speakers. the retuning, better power, time alignment and EQ of the system should yield huge gains on the OEM speakers. changing to aftermarket components should add even more improvement.

will know in a day or two. pick up is Thursday morning.

Last edited by focal; 01-22-2014 at 06:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #10
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

got the car back and the tuning for CD playback is phenomenal!! Imaging is top notch. The Alphine PXA is very good.

the whole point of my thread was to give others an idea of what can be done with the F30 HiFi system. wish I could take pictures and show work in progress but nothing to show. it's stock looking with the gear all hidden. until next month when I get the sub in and do a final tune will there be a visible sign of upgrades. currently the processor and amp stick up from the left side. we thought there would be enough room to put it there but apparently not. We didn't use the two compartments under the trunk floor. not pretty, but with the sub going over it, it's a non issue long term. it juts up about 1/2"

Some things learned, the trunk isn't very sealed like the e60. Maybe the F30's without the fold down seats are more sealed, but when I reinstalled the car seat, you could see into the trunk from the attachment on the rear deck. good thing to know when a sub is installed. I have the fold down rear seats.

MP3 and direct connect from the phone doesn't sound as good with the more revealing system. the EQ has some settings to compensate will need to play around. Same for radio. sometimes more revealing isn't best. I know in home I encountered the same problem when I upgraded gear too revealing. I actually introduced tubes into the preamp stage compensate.

only had 30 minutes with the car so will be off now to drive and listen. Grabbed a handful of CD's and loading up some more MP3's on the USB key.

Last edited by focal; 01-23-2014 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #11
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

I need to listen at the dealers the hifi and the HK.

In the end when I add up the parts and install costs this is a big ticket upgrade. I am sure I could have done it for less though.

Drove long distance yesterday and listened for hours. Going through a bunch of CD's. Even surprised when I got to the US that the HD radio is standard in the car. The staging is just so amazing. Very wide now.

A big thanks to This thread. http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=931098

Also VP electricity's threads. Helped.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #12
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

only photos I've got

1. picture of the amps and the processor, left side of the trunk.
2. picture of with the cover on top. about 1/2"-1" too tall. Currently attached with velcro tape.
3. the tweeter. Notice the yellow silk dome colour from the old Focal Mistral set

My last car I put amps into the left side ('04 E60) definitely had more room on the left side of the trunk. it was taller too in terms of space.

it's a wiring mess in the arm rest where the controller is currently. so no point showing that yet. Still debating where to mount it and fabricate the trim.

I'll try to pull the trim off so you can see the wiring underneath, but since I didn't use the harness that's sold online here, it'll be a bit messy. we tapped the OEM lines. Not a big deal as this car is planned for 6-8 years minimum. If it was leased, I'd definitely want a cleaner tap so it'd be easier to return to stock.

I do need to take a pic of the OEM amp that powered the whole system. Tiny thing.

The system definitely needs a sub and will get done next month for sure when I pay off this install. Just glad I was able to use my polyglass/tweets so my budget is still on target.
Attached Images

Last edited by focal; 01-27-2014 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #13
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

minor thing, but this is the iPhone holder and the 30pin cable that charges (hardwired) and line out feeds the Aux-in in the armrest.

Just realized I didn't plug it in properly when I took the photo, but you get the idea
Attached Images

Last edited by focal; 02-08-2014 at 08:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 08:02 AM   #14
sirfatty
Code Monkey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328I

did you get any Bluetooth echo by adding in the alpine processor and amp. That's the one thing I am nervous about. If not did the installer do anything special to mitigate this?

Last edited by sirfatty; 02-08-2014 at 08:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 08:37 AM   #15
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirfatty;*****538
did you get any Bluetooth echo by adding in the alpine processor and amp. That's the one thing I am nervous about. If not did the installer do anything special to mitigate this?
the BT phone is not as good as before but it's still very useable. I attribute it to not setting up the centre channel correctly. I finally was able to acquire a cheap netbook to run the Alpine Sound Manager software so hopefully I'll get around to setting it up correctly. The installer only had time to get a basic tune. We'll be doing more when the sub is built.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 08:52 AM   #16
sirfatty
Code Monkey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by focal;*****630
the BT phone is not as good as before but it's still very useable. I attribute it to not setting up the centre channel correctly. I finally was able to acquire a cheap netbook to run the Alpine Sound Manager software so hopefully I'll get around to setting it up correctly. The installer only had time to get a basic tune. We'll be doing more when the sub is built.
Great so you ended up keeping the stock amp for the center and rear fill I take it? so your also running the front semi active. Ur using channel 1/2 sending the signal to the fronts crossover which send it to the mids and tweeters and then channel 3/4 to the underset woofers then channel 5 to the sub from the h800?

Did you cut the wires or did u get a harness form technic?

This thread has been very helpful as I want to do nearly the exact same setup.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 10:04 AM   #17
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

Yanked the stock amp. Running a tiny alpine 45x4 amp KTP445.

Not running active. Using the focal crossovers. I did splice and tap into the OEM wires. Turns out my leftover technic harness from the e60 might have worked but too lazy to find it nor order a proper one.

I think the centre was set up incorrectly. There are only 6 channels available on the H800 so I think they didn't hook it up. I think the correct way would be run the OEM preout or tap the LR output on the H800 directly to the amp and turn the gains down. The centre would mess up imaging though.

Last edited by focal; 02-11-2014 at 09:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #18
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

not car related now but playing the HRT iStreamer on the home stereo and it's sounding really good. thought I had a defective unit. odd in the car environment it didn't sound right. I've committed to using the above analogue pre-out cable for the 4s, but If I get the iPhone 5 or 6, I'll have to test and reconsider again as there's no audio out except the head phone jack on the lightening units.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #19
sirfatty
Code Monkey
United_States
Rep

I just noticed if u remove the stackable caps off the amp it should drop the processor low enough to solve you lip height issue
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 09:48 AM   #20
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirfatty View Post
I just noticed if u remove the stackable caps off the amp it should drop the processor low enough to solve you lip height issue
thanks for the tip. WHEN I have money again to build the sub (washer/dryer broke last week = subwoofer money), it'll be built over the amp are so the lip height will be a non issue.

plan to swing by a dealer this week….just to see how far my system has progressed over stock. your audio memory definitely fades fast and you get use to the new system. I'm sure it'll be obvious once I play the same CD in the stock HIFI and the HK system.

Sirfatty: are you putting in the same Alpine PXA-H800? which amps/speakers are you pairing it with?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #21
sirfatty
Code Monkey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thanks for the tip. WHEN I have money again to build the sub (washer/dryer broke last week = subwoofer money), it'll be built over the amp are so the lip height will be a non issue.

plan to swing by a dealer this week….just to see how far my system has progressed over stock. your audio memory definitely fades fast and you get use to the new system. I'm sure it'll be obvious once I play the same CD in the stock HIFI and the HK system.

Sirfatty: are you putting in the same Alpine PXA-H800? which amps/speakers are you pairing it with?
Not quite sure yet. I am going to have to do it in stages so i think undersea woofers will be first, then the h800 and amps, then aftermarket components.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 06:27 AM   #22
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirfatty
Quote:

plan to swing by a dealer this week.just to see how far my system has progressed over stock. your audio memory definitely fades fast and you get use to the new system. I'm sure it'll be obvious once I play the same CD in the stock HIFI and the HK system.

Not quite sure yet. I am going to have to do it in stages so i think undersea woofers will be first, then the h800 and amps, then aftermarket components.
Which underseat? Gladden?

I think you may get better sound from front components and dynamat the front doors at the same time.
Appreciate 0