F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Base Stereo Basic Tweeter Upgrade De-EQ the HU
Studio RSR

02-15-2024, 12:03 PM   #1
Zinny
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d (2012, F30)

Question Base Stereo Basic Tweeter Upgrade De-EQ the HU

I am sorry for yet another post on the Base Stereo audio system but I am coming up short after mountains of research.

So I have installed HK Midrange Speakers and Tweeters (plug and play) into my F30.

They are much better and clearer than the old ones, my only issue is the HU factory EQ boosting the treble frequencies too high; ideally I'd like a flat EQ and adjust from there.

I have looked at de-eq'ing via BimmerCode, I tried changing the AUDIO_SYSTEM_CIC to Hifi however this switched to a low line signal which does not drive the speakers well at all (no sub-woofers).

Is there an option to flatten the EQ from the Head Unit whilst retaining the high level signal to drive my stock Subs, Speakers and Tweeters?

I've noticed another menu called AUDIO_SYSTEM_VAR and AUDIO_OFFSET but I'm not sure what these do and information online is limited/incomplete.

Alternatively, I have an MMI box fitted with an EQ tuner menu, is there an optimal negative offset I can set the EQ to on that to offset the HU treble boosted EQ?

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 05:51 PM   #2
NealfromNZ
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Using mmi eq would help for those sources on ACP and AA. Wouldn’t. Cause any issues.

One thing I do notice on CarPlay wifi is a harshness that occurs in the upper mids and treble with most of the streaming apps. Spotify 320k is what I hear it on the most , but Spotify is quite good via USB input at the same bit rate.

I’d also look to go a stage further and reduce the overlap of frequencies being played by both the door mid and tweeter.

Billfitz has a passive crossover design on this site which would tidy up that area nicely. Just needs to be a diy to build and install but looks straight forward to do.
Appreciate 1
johnung4531.00