F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Only 1000 miles drivetrain malfunction display!
Extreme Powerhouse

08-31-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
Nickf10
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw f30

Only 1000 miles drivetrain malfunction display!

I have been trying to install the jb4 stage2 on my f30 and had some issues. Once i installed it turned the car on and reva started bouncing around on its own. I dont know if it was installed incorrectly or what the issue is but now i put everythin back to stock and car has no power what so ever. Anyone experience this??
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickf30 View Post
I have been trying to install the jb4 stage2 on my f30 and had some issues. Once i installed it turned the car on and reva started bouncing around on its own. I dont know if it was installed incorrectly or what the issue is but now i put everythin back to stock and car has no power what so ever. Anyone experience this??
I presume you ensured the battery was disconnected before install and before uninstall?

The stage 2 requires you to tap into CAN wires and power/ground the unit appropriately. Are you certain you did that correctly?

I've never heard of your issue to answer your question, but it shouldn't affect the car once uninstalled if you 'reset' things by disconnecting the battery then uninstalling it.

If you've done all that, I'd try contacting Terry at BMS as he's very helpful with these things and usually quick to respond. I know it's a holiday weekend, but knowing his reputation and how he's responded to my inquiries he just may be monitoring email right now.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
Nickf10
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
Jackalripp
Jacko
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport line

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
My car did the exact same thing when I hooked the JB4 to my laptop to change the setting to 0 before taking it to the BMW dealer for servicing and as soon as I hooked it up the car would not idle correctly and would die on me. I heard a buzzing sound and it was coming from the JB4 itself. I then got a message on the screen on my car saying Drivetrain malf. Drive moderately. Maximum drivetrain output not available, Have system checked by your Service Center. I live in Germany currently and made a appointment to have it looked at. I removed the JB4 and took it in. They ran a diagnostic on it and said there was a serious problem and they had to keep the car. I asked what it was and they said it had something to do with the turbo sensor or something to that effect. They gave me a loaner car and have it over the weekend which they don't work weekends and said they would know something hopefully Monday the 16th. I hope its not screwed up and messes up my warranty because of the JB4. It ran great before I hooked it back up to the laptop. I did everything the way it is instructed. I asked Terry about it by email and Jon answered and didn't have any idea about the reason the JB4 was buzzing. It even was buzzing with the car turned off. Have no idea but I will be really pissed if the JB4 F'ed up my car with only 5K miles on it or with any miles on it. I'll post something as soon as I find out what happened and what BMW says about it. They are really strict and thorough with their vehicle inspections to see if anything was altered.

Last edited by Jackalripp; 09-14-2013 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: had to add more
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
ghostchili
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive

Seems like a rash of issues with either JB4 units themselves of people not installing/flashing properly. I'm paying close attention as I will be ordering 1 shortly if everything shakes out with your rides.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #6
mcabr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine White 328i M Sport

Hey I got a drivetrain malfunction display and I don't even have the JB software or a 335i. Had the car 2 months of which I've driven it 1 month.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 08:06 AM   #7
Nickf10
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yeah we're not to sure as what exactly is causing these problems could be anything. Dealer told me I needed a new DME. Waiting for one to arrive from Germany at the moment. I will keep you guys posted. You guys do the same. Keep us posted. Hope everything works out!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
mcabr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine White 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickf30 View Post
Yeah we're not to sure as what exactly is causing these problems could be anything. Dealer told me I needed a new DME. Waiting for one to arrive from Germany at the moment. I will keep you guys posted. You guys do the same. Keep us posted. Hope everything works out!
My dealer told me it was just a faulty wiring harness. My car was going into limp mode and idling rough as well. Also at a stop even with the engine running the A/C would just blow hot humid air. They've had my car almost 2 weeks now, but they say they fixed the drivetrain issue. They are supposed to be fixing the paint defect in my front bumper so maybe that's taking longer.
Appreciate 0