F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Michelin Pilot® Sport A/S™ 3+ --- vs --- Continental ExtremeContact™ DWS06
proTUNING Freaks

03-18-2016, 09:34 PM   #1
BM57
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 320i

Arrow Michelin Pilot® Sport A/S™ 3+ --- vs --- Continental ExtremeContact™ DWS06

I'm still running the original tires that came with the car but l'll have to replace them soon. I'm looking for the best all season tire available and most likely not a run flat. I've been looking at various brands and I'm considering the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 so far.

Has anyone tried any of these tires before? Is there a better tire? Has anyone replaced their tires yet? If so, what did you buy and are you happy with your choice.

Here's some info and reviews for the Michelin (Tire Released March 2016):

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tir...-s-3-plus.html

http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/01/15/mi...at-2016-naias/

http://tirereviewsandmore.com/michel...review-rating/

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....num=25WR7PSAS3

Here's some info and reviews for the Continental (Tire Released March 2015):

http://www.continentaltire.com/conte...contact™-dws06

http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/03/27/ti...contact-dws06/

http://tirereviewsandmore.com/contin...dws06-reviews/

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....WS06&tab=Sizes

03-18-2016, 09:43 PM   #2
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

I'm looking at these two as well... they seem to be backordered at most places
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 10:09 PM   #3
Katin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive

Read my mind!

Subscribed For Reals!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 11:04 PM   #4
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

I have the Continental ExtremeContact on my old BMW and my wife's Volvo. Excellent tire. Very quiet and HUGE tread wear life.

p.s. If you have the 19's like I do, there are NO all-season run flats at that size. You either go Runflat/Summer Performance or non-Runflat All-Season.

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 11:33 PM   #5
Vegetable
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 MT

Right now I'm sporting AS3's and they are almost as good as my PSS in the dry and far superior in the wet.
      03-19-2016, 01:07 AM   #6
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
I'm looking at these, too. I'm leaning toward the Contis.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 01:56 AM   #7
dotjonnL
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335iX M-Performance

I have the DWS06's. They're a great A/S tire for Vancouver, a little softer than the RFT but a great compromise for our streets. They're quiet and have great treadwear.

I was going to get the Michelin A/S 3's but lots of people I talked to said they were loud and sucked in snow, but seeing they have improved snow traction, it's hard to say which will be better.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 04:48 AM   #8
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegetable View Post
Right now I'm sporting AS3's and they are almost as good as my PSS in the dry and far superior in the wet.
Don't kid yourself.

In temps > 60F the PSS is far superior to the A/S3 both in dry and wet.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 08:33 AM   #9
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Best all season for what type of driving? Each tire have their own pro and cons. Conti DWS is good for snow.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 09:11 AM   #10
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
Best all season for what type of driving? Each tire have their own pro and cons. Conti DWS is good for snow.
What about wet?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 09:32 AM   #11
sjpaul
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotjonnL View Post
I have the DWS06's. They're a great A/S tire for Vancouver, a little softer than the RFT but a great compromise for our streets. They're quiet and have great treadwear.

I was going to get the Michelin A/S 3's but lots of people I talked to said they were loud and sucked in snow, but seeing they have improved snow traction, it's hard to say which will be better.
Great to hear you're liking the DWS06.

I will also be replacing my OEM run-flats with DWS06. I've read a lot of very positive comments about A/S 3's in terms of performance, but at the expense of noise and tread wear.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 10:36 AM   #12
PhantomF30
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 M-Sport Mineral Gray

I went with the Conti Extreme DW. Awesome tire. Up here in Seattle area, these tires handle the rain like a champ. On dry, they are great. Also they are a ton more quiet than my old run flats. I'd buy these tires again.
Appreciate 1
NBGV18.00
      03-19-2016, 10:43 AM   #13
sfview
Rep
Drives: Alfa Giulia Quad

Good question. I am also looking at Goodyear's F1 Asymmetric All Season tires. Any experience with these?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 11:03 AM   #14
NWest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

I replaced my OEM RFT's a few months ago, running staggered 19" A/S3's.

My 335i is my daily driver, I have another vehicle for the snow. I didn't want to have 2 sets of tires for Winter/Summer and I drive in a lot of wet weather. While they're not PSS's, there is a noticeable difference in their handling/ride/wet/dry weather performance vs. the stock RFT Contis.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 02:58 PM   #15
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

About 6 months ago I installed DWS06 tires to my 2014 Sport Line on 18" wheels. They replaced the stock Pirelli P7 A/S's. They have higher grip, better on center response, very good in the wet and good enough in the snow considering the mild winter we had in the Midwest. I'm very happy with them. In addition the ride is much better than the RFT's.

I had hoped they would make the EPS perform better but the reality is the effort is lighter than the RFT's. My guess is this is due to the softer sidewalls.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2016, 06:05 PM   #16
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

I like S04 Pole Positions. I had them on another car - a 370z - and now got them for this car too.
      03-19-2016, 08:53 PM   #17
jgpingpong
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

First post here, I just bought a 2013 CPO 328i and I am looking to replace the stock Michelin Primacy MXM4 ZPs. They replace the rears, but the fronts are a little more than half worn, and I think that's why the traction control triggers on moderate curves.

I have been looking at the DWS06, and my only concern are the comment about slight wandering of these tires. I have had Continentals in the past and they all had a wandering issue at high speeds. I am considering just replacing the fronts with new Michelin Primacy MXM4s. I did look at the Pilot A/S 3s but they seem a bit to stiff and loud based on the reviews.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 10:17 PM   #18
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgpingpong View Post
First post here, I just bought a 2013 CPO 328i and I am looking to replace the stock Michelin Primacy MXM4 ZPs. They replace the rears, but the fronts are a little more than half worn, and I think that's why the traction control triggers on moderate curves.

I have been looking at the DWS06, and my only concern are the comment about slight wandering of these tires. I have had Continentals in the past and they all had a wandering issue at high speeds. I am considering just replacing the fronts with new Michelin Primacy MXM4s. I did look at the Pilot A/S 3s but they seem a bit to stiff and loud based on the reviews.
I don't notice that issue with these Contis on my car. They are much more precise than the stock A/S RFT's.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 12:04 AM   #19
BM57
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 320i

Thanks everyone for sharing and contributing to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotjonnL View Post

Michelin claims that the new Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ has 28% better traction in the snow over the Pilot Sport A/S 3. I'm not really concerned about the snow, so it's not a major factor for my consideration. However, what is important to me is noise level and wet weather performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post

Mix of city and highway driving for daily short commuting suitable for Vancouver B.C. climate. No snow or racing/track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomF30 View Post
I went with the Conti Extreme DW. Awesome tire. Up here in Seattle area, these tires handle the rain like a champ. On dry, they are great. Also they are a ton more quiet than my old run flats. I'd buy these tires again.

I've heard that they were much more quieter than the run flats and ride better. That's why I have them on my list. Happy to hear that they worked out well for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
About 6 months ago I installed DWS06 tires to my 2014 Sport Line on 18" wheels. They replaced the stock Pirelli P7 A/S's. They have higher grip, better on center response, very good in the wet and good enough in the snow considering the mild winter we had in the Midwest. I'm very happy with them. In addition the ride is much better than the RFT's.

I had hoped they would make the EPS perform better but the reality is the effort is lighter than the RFT's. My guess is this is due to the softer sidewalls.

It seems like the DWS06 has been a decent improvement and a great choice over the Pirelli P7 for you.

Do you think the softer sidewall makes that much of a difference? Are you running the same tire pressure with the DWS06 as you did with the run flats?

I bet Erhard, Tom (Auto Europe) and Discount Tire sell a high enough volume of tires to know what their customers like or complain about. It be interesting to know what tire they're favoring.
      03-20-2016, 12:28 AM   #20
Vegetable
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Don't kid yourself.

In temps > 60F the PSS is far superior to the A/S3 both in dry and wet.
Yea.. dry.. agree, but wet ( at any ambient temp) the AS3 is the superior tire. I'll likely switch back to my PSS's once the rain calms down here in Humboldt CA.. but the difference in traction between the two in wet conditions is night and day ( in favor of the AS3's).
      03-20-2016, 06:26 AM   #21
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegetable View Post
Yea.. dry.. agree, but wet ( at any ambient temp) the AS3 is the superior tire. I'll likely switch back to my PSS's once the rain calms down here in Humboldt CA.. but the difference in traction between the two in wet conditions is night and day ( in favor of the AS3's).
False. The only time where an all season tire "may" exceed the performance of a summer tire in the wet is in low temperatures OR if the tread depth is greater (to resist hydroplaning).

However, if you compare both the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ and the Pilot Super Sort, for the 255/40/18 size they both have an identical tread depth of 10/32th and identical tread pattern. The major difference is compound and you can read below...

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/bens-b...tires-for-rain

Quote:
Traveling in the rain can be a nerve-wracking experience without the right tires. A tire with superior wet weather traction can be a big safety benefit for drivers who need to travel at speed in wet conditions.

I often hear customers say, "It rains a lot where I live, so I need to have an all-season tire." While the name all-season implies that a tire might be the best tire for every season, the reality is that the compound and tread pattern of an all-season tire is actually a compromise between wet, dry and snow capability. Each of these conditions have different requirements, so an all-season tire actually gives away some wet and dry traction to gain light snow traction.

Summer tires are the ultimate wet weather performers. They have sticky compounds to grip wet pavement and tread patterns designed to let water flow through and away from the contact patch. The current class leaders in wet and overall traction are the Michelin Pilot Super Sport and Bridgestone Potenza S-04. - See more at: http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/bens-b....5ntcRYZu.dpuf
http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/motors...or-wet-weather

Quote:
Unfortunately, not all days can be sunny and dry. While we all experience varying weather patterns, some people see more wet weather than others. If you live in Florida, or another state known for heavy and frequent rains, you may choose a tire that performs well in the wet above all else.

If this sounds like the conditions you experience, take a look at my favorite Max Performance Summer tires that feature wet weather performance, yet make no compromises in the dry.

The Continental ExtremeContact DW features a large amount of tread void that does extremely well in the wet. Looking at its pattern will display a large amount of water channels to aid in hydroplane resistance. While one of our strongest tires in the wet, the ExtremeContact DW can also hold its own in the dry and has long since been a favorite amongst consumers looking for performance and value.

Michelin's Pilot Super Sport has been a standout in nearly every test we've done since it was released last year. This tire tends to be one of the fastest Max Performance Summer tires in the dry, and also has exceptional balance when the going gets slippery. While the tire doesn't quite have as much tread void as the Continental, it's an exceptional performer and is very composed at the traction limit.

- See more at: http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/motors....BEkSBDv9.dpuf

Last edited by Polo08816; 03-20-2016 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 2
      03-20-2016, 10:43 AM   #22
Beowulf65
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i xDrive Gran Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
I have the Continental ExtremeContact on my old BMW and my wife's Volvo. Excellent tire. Very quiet and HUGE tread wear life.

p.s. If you have the 19's like I do, there are NO all-season run flats at that size. You either go Runflat/Summer Performance or non-Runflat All-Season.
I was looking for an AS RFT 19" 225/40 + 255/35...only one I could find was the Pirelli Cinturato P7.
Appreciate 0