F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Dead pixel on iDrive screen
Extreme Powerhouse

09-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
Msporty
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport

Dead pixel on iDrive screen

Hi, i have one dead pixel on my iDrive screen, it gets really annoying at night as shines brighter than all the others, and during the day looks like a spec of dust i can't get rid of!!

Any idea if this is something that will be replaced under warranty? Just wondering before i mention it to the dealership and look like I'm moaning about nothing.....

Thanks
F30 320d M Sport, Alpine White, Black Dakota, 19" 403M Style Alloys, Adaptive M Sport Suspension, Xenons with Visibility Pack, Interior Comfort pack, Harman/Kardon, DAB, Servotronic Steering, Heated Steering Wheel, Folding and dimming Ext. Mirrors, Heated seats with Lumbar Support, Enhanced Bluetooth with voice control, Full black panel display
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Definitely report it to them.......I remember someone complaining about dead pixels on a TV screen. The warranty fine print stated that x number of dead pixels was considered 'normal'. Hope BMW don't think the same.

Good luck! ...and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
I'd agree, ask the dealer to swap it out under warranty.

In the mean time, here's an article on various home remedies for dead pixels including hitting the screen with a sharp object and using a dishcloth soaked in boiling water!!!

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
Msporty
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK
I'd agree, ask the dealer to swap it out under warranty.

In the mean time, here's an article on various home remedies for dead pixels including hitting the screen with a sharp object and using a dishcloth soaked in boiling water!!!
Hah thanks! I'll keep you updated with what they say (but may leave the boiling cloth in the sink )
F30 320d M Sport, Alpine White, Black Dakota, 19" 403M Style Alloys, Adaptive M Sport Suspension, Xenons with Visibility Pack, Interior Comfort pack, Harman/Kardon, DAB, Servotronic Steering, Heated Steering Wheel, Folding and dimming Ext. Mirrors, Heated seats with Lumbar Support, Enhanced Bluetooth with voice control, Full black panel display
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 05:55 AM   #5
Msporty
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

UPDATE!

Took car to dealer today, mainly to get my blower fixed that currently sounds like a leaf blower turning on but thats another story, showed them the screen, and they said they'll just order me a new one under warranty

Awesome
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 06:11 AM   #6
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Good result!

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Yep as it should be , new one on order.
      11-14-2012, 04:28 AM   #8
Msporty
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msporty View Post
Took car to dealer today, mainly to get my blower fixed that currently sounds like a leaf blower turning on but thats another story, showed them the screen, and they said they'll just order me a new one under warranty

Awesome
Hmmm, so after initial jubiliation BMW Germany have come back to the dealer and it seems that unless 3+ pixels have gone then its not covered by warranty and my screen is no longer getting replaced anymore, ridiculous

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 05:13 AM   #9
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
That's crap (although probably a policy they get away with). Why not ask the dealer if they'll just swap it for a screen on one of their other cars? ...and remind them about customer satisfaction, goodwill and all that while you're asking

(They unplug pretty easily from what I understand).

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 05:45 AM   #10
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Just remind the dealer that although BMW might have a policy, that policy is in contravention of your consumer rights. You have a contract with the dealer and it is up to the dealer to replace your screen or repair it. That is the law
      11-14-2012, 06:12 AM   #11
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

I said earlier, TV manufacturers would only replace a screen if X number of pixels are faulty. Consumer rights does nothing to change that, the unit it still perfectly functional. Sucks but thems da ruuuulz.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 06:17 AM   #12
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Not so. The ISO standard of 3 dead pixels that manufacturers adhere to is not in lieu of your consumer rights.

It simply means that they will not do anything under warranty terms. And again, all warranty terms "do not affect your statutory rights" They are still legally obliged to replace or repair your screen if it is in any way defective
      11-14-2012, 06:27 AM   #13
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes I know, but the onus is on you to prove that less than 3 dead pixels affects the performance of the product. The manufacturers will claim IT DOES NOT, so it NOT faulty. Like a dashboard rattle, a steering wheel vibration, crackly speaker, etc.

Even worse to prove if it is just a small part of a car, because you surely have to convince the jury that the whole driving experience is ruined. They won't swap a TV thats sole purpose is to be watched.

Sucks but other than goodwill, you will struggle. Being heavy handed with the consumer rights act will not get you very far. FACT.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 06:33 AM   #14
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Found this article that seems relevant.

"The issue of defective pixels that are not performing properly because they are permanently lit or switched-off is a grey area. The ISO 13406-2 standard introduced rules regarding defective pixels in relation to screen size saying a certain number of defective pixels may be tolerated. But an ISO standard is not a legal requirement and not all manufacturers interpret ISO 13406-2 in exactly the same way, if they even follow it at all.

Companies tend to have their own policies; some have a zero tolerance for defective pixels where even one is unacceptable. Others will set out what is acceptable or not by how they classify a monitor. So they will allow a certain number of defective pixels before they consider a screen or monitor defective. Manufacturers say the standard of production techniques cannot guarantee a pixel-perfect monitor, and this seems to be legally permissible.

So it could be that one or two defective pixels may not be legally considered a minor defect. (There is no case law).

What is a minor defect? The Sale of Goods Act states that goods should be free from ‘minor defects' and of a satisfactory quality. But what is not clear is if pixel problems, which while undeniably a defect, would make goods unsatisfactory. Most consumers would argue it does. The courts may disagree. From the moment, the only way to guarantee a defect-free monitor is to examine it first, or buy from a make with a zero-defect guarantee."

Conclusion seems to be that's it's a grey area. Personally I'd hope BMW would replace it. There is a visible problem and they should want the customer to be satisfied with their £30-£40K car. However, exeprience tells me otherwise - remember the fiasco over the cracks in 19" alloys a year or two back?

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 06:38 AM   #15
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Rob

It is not BMW that would NOT want to change it, any faulty items get sent back to the manufacturer and they are the ones that replace the product. BMW would have asked the question and the manufacturer would simply state that x number of pixels are OK, and point to some contractual fine print.

BMW are powerless unless they change it at own cost.

It would have been exactly the same with the wheels fiasco. The wheel supplier would simply state that they have made wheels that met/pass the required spec and tests, so any cracks would be a excessive use or fitment issue, no warranty claim. BMW corporate would have no doubt leaned on the supplier threatening future business, but that is a slow process.

Last edited by NISFAN; 11-14-2012 at 06:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 07:03 AM   #16
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msporty View Post
Hmmm, so after initial jubiliation BMW Germany have come back to the dealer and it seems that unless 3+ pixels have gone then its not covered by warranty and my screen is no longer getting replaced anymore, ridiculous

I would break it, and then claim, there is NO way they would get away with that with me.
      11-14-2012, 08:32 AM   #17
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

You could always drive through the front window of the dealership
      11-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #18
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

No, order a new car.....and when it arrives write a cheque out for £4000.00 and say "like pixels, what's a few missing zero's between friends"
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #19
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
No, order a new car.....and when it arrives write a cheque out for £4000.00 and say "like pixels, what's a few missing zero's between friends"
Love that.
      11-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #20
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
^^^ what he said

PS - still think BMW could do more, but then I have a basic mistrust of large companies

Life is a state of mind

Last edited by RobUK; 11-14-2012 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #21
Msporty
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for all the comments guys! Unfortunately it's a lease car so didn't actually buy it through the dealer, so guess they're not fussed whether I'm happy or not as they're not securing future business for themselves!

Maybe if I had it would be a different story.....

Might call Lex Autolease and see what they say next
Appreciate 0