BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

05-30-2009, 04:29 AM   #1
synclastica_86
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F32 435i, E92 M3, S550

Garage List
Storing M3

Sadly, I need to leave my M3 for a while. I need to do my next semester in Hong Kong. Yep... no E92 carbon roof and S65 V8 there, just the underpowered E93 drop top. Damn, I'll miss the 4,500 rpm launches and shifting at 8,000.

Anyways, what do I need to do to keep my M in top condition when I go back? Fuel additives? All I know is I need a car cover for it. Please educate me on the rest. Thanx!

Current: BMW F32 435iA M-Sports; BMW E92 M3, M-DCT; Mercedes W221 S550 4matic; Ford Fiesta ST; Nissan Silvia S15 Spec-R
Retired: BMW E93 323iA; BMW E85 Z4 3.0i, SMG; Lexus IS 250 AWD; Lexus GX 470; Mercedes W203 C230 Sportscoupe; Peugeot 206 S16; Peugeot 206 RC
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 07:45 AM   #2
9thwardboi
Waaaaaaaa! it's A N.O. thing baby!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 white E92 335i W/RED GUTTS!

Bavarian Auto Sports has a cover called "The Ultimate car Cover" for $189.99 I have one and it's great, look it up...........................

1................9thwardboi....................... .........
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

I'd like to know as well. I couldn't find anything in the Manual but since I'm on deployment for 4 months all I did was cover it up in the garage and have a friend check on it. I don't think starting the engine or moving the car is required unless its more than 6 months. I wonder if BMW at Germany starts and moves every car they have monthly in their shipping yard which has hundrends and hundrends of cars ready to ship. One could to extream and put it on stands, have the engine started monthly, etc. But unless it's more than 6 moths, I don't see it being an issue. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I have a 5 car garage and I can store it for you @ my house, I'll keep it clean & makes sure its running properly atleast once a week to make sure the battery doesn't drain. I'm in NJ so not too far from you in PA...let me know PM me if you want me to look after it...

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta View Post
I have a 5 car garage and I can store it for you @ my house, I'll keep it clean & makes sure its running properly atleast once a week to make sure the battery doesn't drain. I'm in NJ so not too far from you in PA...let me know PM me if you want me to look after it...
I would definitely take up on this offer if I was you.

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 06:16 PM   #6
Pitkis
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: i8 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by synclastica_86 View Post
Sadly, I need to leave my M3 for a while. I need to do my next semester in Hong Kong. Yep... no E92 carbon roof and S65 V8 there, just the underpowered E93 drop top. Damn, I'll miss the 4,500 rpm launches and shifting at 8,000.

Anyways, what do I need to do to keep my M in top condition when I go back? Fuel additives? All I know is I need a car cover for it. Please educate me on the rest. Thanx!
I had my car garaged for 4 months last winter. No problem at all. iPod run out of battery, but re-charged after 15 minutes. The main battery was in ordinary shape all the time.

Fuel system: I'd suggest driving tank almost empty, leave just couple litres of fuel there. Then just fill up the tank when car is again on the run, so diluted fuel is mixed and all works well. At least I had no problems...no condensed water or anything else noticed.
      05-30-2009, 11:01 PM   #7
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

I had read and also been told by others (not that that in itself is totaly reliable) but that a fuel tank should be filled with fuel to reduce the amount of area of air that can create moisture and condensation. Anything longer than 6 months should need a fuel stabalizer. But I have only heard this so not sure. I due know for sure from my aviation experiance that jet fuel for example can actually cause bacteria to grow and obviously moisture in the tank adds to the growth of bacteria. Not sure if that can happen with gasoline. So anything less than 6 months I hear should be a full tank. I wonder if the climate in which one lives makes that difference? But definitaly for the OP, store the vehicle somewhere and not outside.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 12:34 AM   #8
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
I had read and also been told by others (not that that in itself is totaly reliable) but that a fuel tank should be filled with fuel to reduce the amount of area of air that can create moisture and condensation. Anything longer than 6 months should need a fuel stabalizer. But I have only heard this so not sure. I due know for sure from my aviation experiance that jet fuel for example can actually cause bacteria to grow and obviously moisture in the tank adds to the growth of bacteria. Not sure if that can happen with gasoline. So anything less than 6 months I hear should be a full tank. I wonder if the climate in which one lives makes that difference? But definitaly for the OP, store the vehicle somewhere and not outside.
+1
i agree on keeping the fuel tank full and not empty... also agree on adding fuel stabilizer.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 02:40 PM   #9
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
+1
i agree on keeping the fuel tank full and not empty... also agree on adding fuel stabilizer.
+1
1. Fuel Tank Full
2. Raise Tire Pressure to 50 PSI (COLD ofcourse )
3. Put some wooden (Ply-Wood) planks under the tires to avoid flat spots
(I put two sheets, one for the back set and one for the front set)
4. Disconnect the battery terminal.
(Its in the trunk on the right hand side, just screw out the connector-rod terminal, and wrap it with some newspaper so it doesnt accidentally touch the terminal )
5. Clean the interior (dust, clean and condition the leather)

And I think this should suffice
Have used this procedure for my exotics in the past as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 09:29 AM   #10
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
Yep, full tank for less moisture. I don't think bacteria will form in gasoline, but who knows now that they're putting ethanol in it. Jet fuel is supposed to have chemicals in it to prohibit bacteria growth so that should not be a problem. Also, FWIW, regular aviation gasoline should last years stored in a tank (and it's very high octane). Too bad it has lead in it. This is not so with car gasoline so use a stabilizer -- +6 months is the time frame that I've heard recommended.

Buy some plastic wheel cradles to keep the tires from flat-spotting. Do not set the parking brake.

Change the oil and check and/or change the coolant before storing. Make sure the windshield wiper tank has windshield wiper fluid in it and not just water.

Make sure the car and the storage area is clean. You don't want mice getting in there and destroying everything. Waxing the car will help keep the body looking good. And don't forget a car cover.

Hook you battery up to a trickle charger so you will be able to start your car when you get back.