F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Drivetrain malfunction!!!!!
European Auto Source

04-07-2015, 09:26 AM   #133
Burnt C6
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Melbourne Red 328i Sport

It happened to me the day after I got the Dinan Tune installed. I had hit a good size pot hole and it cam on. I thought that might have caused it. I got home turned it off and restarted it and the message was gone was gone. That was back in September it came back on last night right as I was pulling into the garage. It won't go off this time. It also came up with the Chassis Malfunction notification at the same time. Time to take it in and see what the hell is going on.
      04-07-2015, 10:44 AM   #134
435ivan
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw f32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAV8TT View Post
I was driving to work in Eco pro mode and once i entered the highway, i tried to catch up on speed so I moved the gear to DS from D position and all of a sudden the car jammed up, started shaking and a signal came up in the iDrive saying Drivetrain malfunction, drive moderately, and the car wouldn't allow me to exceed 50 mls/h. The car kept shaking till I took the next exit. It was very dangerous as I entered the highway with that speed and there was a bunch of cars going at least 75 mls/hr that had to leave the lane I'm on. Darn it. The engine light is on now. I parked the car and I'm at work now. WTF!!
I have a 435i that I just got in November. I haven't had a problem with it till a couple weeks ago that I have gotten a down pipe and the jb4 installed. That night I was doing some highway pulls and once I reached top of 6th that I shift to 7th I got the drivetrain malfunction. It pretty much just cut all power It wouldn't rev or accelerate it got down to 60mph and so I pulled over to the side turned off the engine and turned it back on and I was fine. But it has happened a few times already. I asked around and someone had told me that wen it gets too hot or reaches a certain temperature the call will pretty much put itself into a safe mode and it starts giving those malfunctions. I don't know what to do to prevent it from happening besides no more highway pulls. Has anyone found a solution?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 10:27 AM   #135
JVBFTW
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocohead View Post
OP what gas (brand and octane) do you use?

Have you noticed the car cranking a long time before starting in the morning?
I've noticed the cranking issue in the am, and got a drivetrain malfunction warning on Sunday. I shut the car off, then turned it back on and had no issue.

What does the cranking + this problem point to?

Car is a 2013 320i 6MT, with about 20k on it.
      05-11-2015, 12:01 PM   #136
gobears81
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

This morning my 2013 328i F30 gave me the following error:
"Drivetrain malfunction: Drive moderately. Maximum drivetrain output not available. Consult service center."

Looking through this forum, it sounds like there could be multiple trips to the service center needed. I'm not looking forward to this!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 02:22 PM   #137
agent0986
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Add another drive train malfunction story to the list- 2015 328i RWD April 2015 Build. Car is 2 weeks old.

Clearly, this issue has not been fixed or resolved yet. I was on the highway in Sport mode when I pushed down the accelerator to pass someone and suddenly lost all power and car started shuddering with check engine light flashing. Pulled over and re-started the car and everything went back to normal???

Should I still bring it in? Car feels normal now but like others have said without the error code flashing will they still be able to diagnose anything? I'm worried now that the car is permanently running on reduced power.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 02:28 PM   #138
SoCalDave
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent0986 View Post
Add another drive train malfunction story to the list- 2015 328i RWD April 2015 Build. Car is 2 weeks old.

Clearly, this issue has not been fixed or resolved yet. I was on the highway in Sport mode when I pushed down the accelerator to pass someone and suddenly lost all power and car started shuddering with check engine light flashing. Pulled over and re-started the car and everything went back to normal???

Should I still bring it in? Car feels normal now but like others have said without the error code flashing will they still be able to diagnose anything? I'm worried now that the car is permanently running on reduced power.
Ah crap..keep us posted...........
      06-01-2015, 03:18 PM   #139
ATLBlue
Car OCD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII F30 335i M Sport

Got the 'Drivetrain Malfunction' alert about once every 6 weeks:

I just feel a limitation of power (I'd say 50% of maximum output) and it happens in a very smooth manner. I can keep driving at 70+ mph and take my time to park and restart the engine. Everything gets back to normal with no error code to be found when checking through the OBDII port.

I could not find any logic to this (car not running hot, not at 100% throttle...) and I have not had an issue on the track or AutoX so far. I ran the car full out for a one hour long session at the track with 90F ambient temperature last week and it did perfectly fine

Since I am running a tune and exhaust, I am not asking the dealership to look into this but the issue does not bother me much either.

More about my ride @ ATLBlue's 2014 F30 Journal. Instagram Inline6_ATL
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 12:23 AM   #140
pauloxxi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 -328i / 2014 -320 XDrive

It did it again.

Now, it is 6700 miles, one year in service, and this the second missfire issue. This time towed to dealer. They found lot of coolant (green stuff) in the injectors and spark plug. Seems like head gasket blown off, but they are not yet sure. Car belongs to my wife, no abuse, no mods. Just frustrating and kind of ashamed for paying almost $40,000 for a unreliable piece of crap. This is my third BMW, I'm feeling the ultimate driving machine translates as final, no more, end, last one.
By the way, because the crap broke more than 100 miles and out of state, they gave me a rental car, an economic one, a KIA RIO, and they don't know yet when I should get my car back. I think I don't need to say anything more.
Appreciate 0