F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > msport wheel vs sport wheel
Studio RSR

12-19-2012, 11:46 AM   #23
ZMM_OMG
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMC Pro Machine  [10.00]
Dan, this forum is full of posts from people who wound up unhappy because they DIDN'T purchase an option or package and regretted it later. Furthermore, it will cost you WAAAAAY more to add the M-Sport bits after the fact than it will to get it that way from the factory.

If you're on the fence, just buy the M-sport optioned the way you want it.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #24
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMM_OMG View Post
Dan, this forum is full of posts from people who wound up unhappy because they DIDN'T purchase an option or package and regretted it later. Furthermore, it will cost you WAAAAAY more to add the M-Sport bits after the fact than it will to get it that way from the factory.

If you're on the fence, just buy the M-sport optioned the way you want it.
+1

I have a Sport Line and I really miss my Gti steering!!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #25
sean10mm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH

You really have to be honest with yourself. If you genuinely don't care about an option, don't buy it just because some dorks here claim it's a "must-have." If you really want an option, don't talk yourself out of it to save a couple bucks a month just so you can be pissed off later.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #26
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsbuc View Post
There's a lot that you can't tell from photos. I've looked at them and can see that the hub is smaller and the spokes thinner on M Sport wheel. From photos it's difficult to tell that the rim is thinner on the Sport model, or that when gripping the wheel the M model is softer. I think the OP really wants to know is what are the tactile differences, which can in the end affect "grip," and thus handling. If he doesn't, I do, and am glad that others have spoken to this.

Very good points, and I'm glad others were helpful, including you.... But as you said.... "I think the OP..." If you ask a clear question, you get a clear answer. No one has to guess what he's trying to ask.
      12-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #27
mdsbuc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M Sport-'12MustGT 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
Very good points, and I'm glad others were helpful, including you.... But as you said.... "I think the OP..." If you ask a clear question, you get a clear answer. No one has to guess what he's trying to ask.
Well then, I'm glad I've been able to chip in and help articulate what the OP may have wanted to know. He can chime in anywhere I'm wrong about it.

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut /Packages- Prem / DHP / Tech / Driver Assist / DA Plus Options- 8 Sprt AT / Htd FS / HK / Hi Bm Asst /403 19" w/perf tyres

Ordered: 12/15/12, ED Delivery Date: 04/23/13
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #28
akamomo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

I have to say I have driven both, owned neither. The M seemed tacky to me, more cheesy rubber inside the car. I'm all for what anybody wants but I'm a bit mystified by the overwhelming support of the M wheel. I find the Sport is much more tasteful. To each his own of course. Just trying to stand up for a somewhat opposing opinion.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #29
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60, Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by akamomo View Post
I have to say I have driven both, owned neither. The M seemed tacky to me, more cheesy rubber inside the car. I'm all for what anybody wants but I'm a bit mystified by the overwhelming support of the M wheel. I find the Sport is much more tasteful. To each his own of course. Just trying to stand up for a somewhat opposing opinion.
Couldn't disagree more. The standard wheel feels like the accountants got to it before production. I'm sure its plastic, or a particularly cheap kind of leather.

The M changes the ambience of the car and feels special, this along with the M sport kit it transforms the car.

I'm quite particular, but if there was no M sport trim I wouldn't have purchased an F30 at all.

I'm coming from a GTI so the M sport is more in that kind of style.
BMW iX M60, Storm Bay with XPEL Stealth PPF, Exterior Line Titan Bronze, 1EW 22" 1023 Wheels, Amido Leather, Comfort Package, Interior Camera, Clear&Bold, Sun Protection Glazing, B&W Diamond Sound, Folding Towbar, Rear Axle Steering.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #30
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoNZ View Post
Couldn't disagree more. The standard wheel feels like the accountants got to it before production. I'm sure its plastic, or a particularly cheap kind of leather.

The M changes the ambience of the car and feels special, this along with the M sport kit it transforms the car.

I'm quite particular, but if there was no M sport trim I wouldn't have purchased an F30 at all.

I'm coming from a GTI so the M sport is more in that kind of style.
i gotta agree. in 2009 i was in the market for a new car and test drove the then more or less new W204 C class. the cheap leather or plastic on the F30 sport steering wheel felt a lot like that wheel. I did not buy the C class because of that wheel (that and the knobs were really cheap plastic too) and ended up with an audi instead (turned out pretty badly actually, the C class probably was a better idea in retrospect). but yeah cheap leather , reminds you its cheap and you are holding it all the time.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #31
Erik.klenke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
+1

I have a Sport Line and I really miss my Gti steering!!
I miss my GTI Steering wheel as well. I wonder how the feel of the BMW Performance wheel compares to the Sportline wheel. Since switching to the M Sport Wheel isn't really and option for us.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #32
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik.klenke View Post
I miss my GTI Steering wheel as well. I wonder how the feel of the BMW Performance wheel compares to the Sportline wheel. Since switching to the M Sport Wheel isn't really and option for us.
There are now a couple of M-Sport wheels on ebay UK.

The M-performance wheel is just a reskinned Sport wheel.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #33
OfficialBOLO
Captain
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i X-Drive MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
There are now a couple of M-Sport wheels on ebay UK.

The M-performance wheel is just a reskinned Sport wheel.
I was actually bummed out when i realized this. On the E9x the performance wheel was way cool, with the flat bottom, white stitching, etc.

But in the F30, the M sport wheel is leaps and bounds better than the performance one. It would make sense if you went from Sport line to that, but i doubt too many M-Sport people will be switching.

1995 Toyota Supra Single Turbo (for sale)
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #34
howiegu
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22%E2%80%99 M440

The difference?
Msport wheels have //M build-in
Sport wheels have spaces for stick-on //M from eBay.
Hope helps -
Appreciate 0