F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Getting to the Performance Center for delivery
GetBMWParts

06-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
YeaG30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Garage List
Getting to the Performance Center for delivery

I'm doing PCD and I live in Charlotte NC. I was planning to drive there but now that I'm thinking about logistics, my wife will have to drive the other car back. I mean it's no skin our backs to drive the car home but it would be better experience if we both rode together in the new car. So I'm asking everyone's input on ideas for how to get down there. Obviously I've thought of flying and a rental. Think outside the box people. I'm looking for the PCD veterans advice.
      06-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
toph
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i Sport 6MT

I'm not a PCD veteran, but you could Amtrak it.
      06-13-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
YeaG30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Good idea however, the only train leaves at like 3AM.
      06-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
johnofcross
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Superman 2013 F30 335i M Sport

Bus, hitchhike, tandem bike, skydive down, taxi?

Just throwing it all out there.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeaF30 View Post
I'm doing PCD and I live in Charlotte NC. I was planning to drive there but now that I'm thinking about logistics, my wife will have to drive the other car back. I mean it's no skin our backs to drive the car home but it would be better experience if we both rode together in the new car. So I'm asking everyone's input on ideas for how to get down there. Obviously I've thought of flying and a rental. Think outside the box people. I'm looking for the PCD veterans advice.
One way cheap rental, drop of the rental nearby.

Out of the box:
-Hitchhike - wife wears "proper" attire to get better ride results.
-Steal a car and drop off at nearest police station with an apology note.
-Roller skates and large bed sheet, hope for heavy wind in correct direction.
-Ask a friend, relative, neighbor kid, to drive you in your other car, offer free dining and drinks upon return. Legal implications if neighborhood kid is under 21, solution: non alcohol lemonade drinks!
-College ride board, one way.
-Ask local car dealer if they need to transport a car to the PCD area, offer to drive it to the other dealer, and have that dealer drive you to PCD.
-Use magicians disappearing cabinet and reemerge at PCD.
-Canoe or boat rental on a river that runs through it/PCD that is.
-Offer yourselves up to aliens as "abductees", ask to be returned to at the PCD. Don't forget to negotiate NO anal probes, unless you're into that kinda thing. I don't judge.

BONUS: Due to aliens ability to warp and control the time-space continuum, you can do the PCD, get abducted again, and return back to PCD on the first day you picked up your new BMW, all over again!
2 PCD events, 1 purchase, win win.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 07:11 AM   #6
YeaG30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Good point sir. Well allow me to retort...

One way rental is $150 after taxes and fees.

-Hitchhiking can work, as said, with proper attire. However, I find that my wife may be embarrassed if I wear heals and skirt.
-I could steal a car and just leave a note on a napkin saying, "couldn't find a meter, but here's $5 bucks".
-Roller skates... meh.
-Friends and family may be an option. But the alcohol bribe may have to be pretty hefty.
-I don't even know what a college ride board is.
-Asking the dealer to do a transfer for them isn't actually a bad idea. I may actually use this option if the CA is willing to pull such a heist.
-David Copperfielding to the PCD would be awesome, just as long as I could come out of the trunk of the newly ordered car rather than a mysterious box. Throw in some smoke and thin sheets fluttering, for good measure.
-I don't think that there are any rivers near the PCD.
-You mean Gods? thats what L Ron Hubbard told me they were. They won't cooperate until I am a higher level in the organization...

-Instead of doing a time warp I'm thinking more along the lines of doing a PCD inception, a Delivery within a Delivery. And then just ride the Delivery up and out with the proper kick. 2 Deliveries and I could plant the idea in my wife's head that she is okay with driving our other car home and I can enjoy the new bimmer to myself.

All very good suggestions. My last option is to hire a helicopter as it will cost about $400 and a single plane ticket to greenville is about $300. DEAL!
      06-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
Mrcarcrazy
Sarcasm free with all posts.
Rep
Drives: 05 Elise REV310

I can fly there for 200 bucks....that's what I'm doing.(assuming things go as planned)
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
SL01
Private
Rep
Drives:

Try a one way airport to airport car rental - we just did this and drove up from Orlando with a Hertz car rental. Total for 2 days was about $80.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
adelphi_sky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL01 View Post
Try a one way airport to airport car rental - we just did this and drove up from Orlando with a Hertz car rental. Total for 2 days was about $80.

Hmmmmmm. We just ordered a 328i M-Sport with PCD. never thought of doing an airport rental. That may be a good idea since I get free upgrades to luxury for airport rentals.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #10
wolke9
apexlvr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 VW GTI;335i m-sprt ordrd

I plan on doing the Performance Center delivery too. I know they offer a shuttle from the Hotel nearby to the PC. If you are flying into Greenville/Spartanburg Airport--u can get a shuttle to the Marriot ( its included in your delivery at the PC) and then take the BMW shuttle to the PC the next morning.

From the BMW website:

If flying to South Carolina on a commercial aircraft, which airport should a customer utilize and which airline carriers are available there?
Customers flying into South Carolina should utilize the Greenville/Spartanburg International Airport (GSP). Visit www.gspairport.com for more details. Available airlines include American Eagle, Continental Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Comair, Northwest Airlines, Northwest Air Link, United Express Airlines, U.S. Airways, and U.S. Airways Express. All airlines are subject to change. Visit www.gspairport.com for more information. Pick up at GSP is provided by the Greenville Marriott courtesy shuttle, (864) 297-0300, and is available from 5:00 am thru 12:00 midnight.

Check out this link too. It should answer most, if not all, of your questions:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...CenterFAQ.aspx
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #11
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

So seriously this is like an 85-mile drive from Charlotte down to Greer.... Just get a friend to drive you down? When coming from Ohio, the list of available options = 1) fly or 2) fly.
      06-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #12
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Good point sir. Well allow me to retort...

One way rental is $150 after taxes and fees.

-Hitchhiking can work, as said, with proper attire. However, I find that my wife may be embarrassed if I wear heals and skirt.
-I could steal a car and just leave a note on a napkin saying, "couldn't find a meter, but here's $5 bucks".
-Roller skates... meh.
-Friends and family may be an option. But the alcohol bribe may have to be pretty hefty.
-I don't even know what a college ride board is.
-Asking the dealer to do a transfer for them isn't actually a bad idea. I may actually use this option if the CA is willing to pull such a heist.
-David Copperfielding to the PCD would be awesome, just as long as I could come out of the trunk of the newly ordered car rather than a mysterious box. Throw in some smoke and thin sheets fluttering, for good measure.
-I don't think that there are any rivers near the PCD.
-You mean Gods? thats what L Ron Hubbard told me they were. They won't cooperate until I am a higher level in the organization...

-Instead of doing a time warp I'm thinking more along the lines of doing a PCD inception, a Delivery within a Delivery. And then just ride the Delivery up and out with the proper kick. 2 Deliveries and I could plant the idea in my wife's head that she is okay with driving our other car home and I can enjoy the new bimmer to myself.

All very good suggestions. My last option is to hire a helicopter as it will cost about $400 and a single plane ticket to greenville is about $300. DEAL!

NOW we're thinking!

The car transport idea may work.

College ride board is where transportless college students seek rides from transport-full college students, and share gas expense.
I think it's still done, don't know. My college days ended back in '87 when that old actor dude was president.

Personally I'm diggin the alien idea. I'm outside right now with my flashlight and flicking it on/off in the night sky.
Wait....I see....hold on.....
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #13
Erik.klenke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL01 View Post
This is what we are planning on doing from Durham, NC. Think Enterprise was something like $60 for a 1 day 1 way rental to GSP airport. Then figured we could get hotel shuttle from the airport to the hotel.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #14
YeaG30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik.klenke View Post
This is what we are planning on doing from Durham, NC. Think Enterprise was something like $60 for a 1 day 1 way rental to GSP airport. Then figured we could get hotel shuttle from the airport to the hotel.
I just looked it up and your rates are like half what I would pay to come from a place (Charlotte) that is closer. That doesn't make any sense.
      06-15-2012, 11:37 PM   #15
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I just looked it up and your rates are like half what I would pay to come from a place (Charlotte) that is closer. That doesn't make any sense.
Are you guys looking at rates for the same type of car?
Maybe that's the difference?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #16
YeaG30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
First I did Raleigh Durham to Spartanburg and saw it was like $60 something plus tax and fees. Then I just changed it to Charlotte and it jumps to $147 something. That was for enterprise. It's similar for all companies. It happens likewise on plane tickets. If you fly out of RD, it's much cheaper than flying out of Charlotte.