F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N20 Drivetrain Malfunction, but car drives fine and still has healthy boost
Studio RSR

02-25-2024, 03:13 PM   #1
lidation
Rep
Drives: '13 X3 F25 w/ N20 engine

N20 Drivetrain Malfunction, but car drives fine and still has healthy boost

My '13 X3 w/ N20 engine currently has 117k miles. I owned it since 88k miles. The car drives fine without any issue except that occasionally it will throw the "Drivetrain Malfunction". Here are the summary for these failure occurrences:

- Every time I checked with BimmerLink, the code is "120308, Boost Pressure Control, plausibility: pressure too low".
- It happened mostly on highway ramps when accelerating from 30 or 40MPH with engine speed of around 2000RPM.
- It happened roughly once every few weeks.
- If I turn the car off and restart again, the code will be gone.
- Even after the "Drivetrain malfunction" message, the car still drives fine, without loss of power afterwards. Below are two Bimmerlink logs showing that my car still gets healthy bootst and power after the drivetrain malfunction happened.
- 2 months ago, I had took out all the air intake pipes (pre-turbo, turbo-to-IC, IC-to-throttle) and the Intercooler to clean them and replaced all the O-rings. The intake and charge pipes were in good conditions without any visible damages. After the cleaning and the change of O-rings, this problem still existed.

Questions:
Anyone could help me understand why? I don't wanna take it to the mechanics since it's really not affecting the car's normal operation. I guess that any mechanics would probably be going to throw parts at it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 12:29 PM   #2
WeAreVenom
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by lidation View Post
My '13 X3 w/ N20 engine currently has 117k miles. I owned it since 88k miles. The car drives fine without any issue except that occasionally it will throw the "Drivetrain Malfunction". Here are the summary for these failure occurrences:

- Every time I checked with BimmerLink, the code is "120308, Boost Pressure Control, plausibility: pressure too low".
- It happened mostly on highway ramps when accelerating from 30 or 40MPH with engine speed of around 2000RPM.
- It happened roughly once every few weeks.
- If I turn the car off and restart again, the code will be gone.
- Even after the "Drivetrain malfunction" message, the car still drives fine, without loss of power afterwards. Below are two Bimmerlink logs showing that my car still gets healthy bootst and power after the drivetrain malfunction happened.
- 2 months ago, I had took out all the air intake pipes (pre-turbo, turbo-to-IC, IC-to-throttle) and the Intercooler to clean them and replaced all the O-rings. The intake and charge pipes were in good conditions without any visible damages. After the cleaning and the change of O-rings, this problem still existed.

Questions:
Anyone could help me understand why? I don't wanna take it to the mechanics since it's really not affecting the car's normal operation. I guess that any mechanics would probably be going to throw parts at it.
Pretty much the same thing happened to me a couple months ago with my ‘16 at about 95k, and it had me confused. Research only showed it could be bad transmission or the MAF. MAF was completely clean and didn’t have any issues while driving. It ended up needing a high pressure fuel rail replacement (part # 13537585411). This was after spark plugs and ignition coils had been replaced and errors were gone for a couple months. Service center said the rail was the next thing in line that could solve it. Everything’s been perfect since the replacement
Appreciate 0