F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > PPK Install Problems: Early November Build Issue?
ARMA SPEED

09-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #89
BTT 335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M Sport- F30 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by F555 View Post
And will that 100% solve the problem?
I'm desperately need a solution for these mppk crap
Hi, what happen whit your car? Is ready now?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #90
jrsx86
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigibombom View Post
the exhaust note is now more notice and burble sound that i didnt have before the PPK. the kick now is so dramatic and i almost want to vomit cause the pull is so hard now in sport mode lol.
Hahaha, its funny you mentioned that because right after I brought the car back to work, I took my coworker for a spin and he wanted to vomit too from how hard it pulled. Said it felt like a roller coaster. I guess I'm used to it, lol.
      09-06-2013, 04:40 AM   #91
F555
Captain
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: F30 - 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTT 335i View Post
Hi, what happen whit your car? Is ready now?
not yet
I was out of town for couple weeks, when I got back yesterday the dealer said NO, they haven't got the mppk install.
The Mppk package does come with a new DME & the dumb dealer couldn't make it work.
If it's not too much trouble Could u list in details, the steps on what I need to do & explain to the noob BMW dealer so they will understand & know what to do to make the MPPK to work in my car.
Car been sitting in the dealer for couple weeks now & I really need to get these mppk sorted out

Last edited by F555; 09-06-2013 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 05:46 AM   #92
BTT 335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Dealers have installed the HARDware, BMW AG has had to run remote IRAP sessions to help with the software - it takes something like 6 hours apparently.

Last edited by BTT 335i; 09-06-2013 at 05:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #93
F555
Captain
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTT 335i View Post
Dealers have installed the HARDware, BMW AG has had to run remote IRAP sessions to help with the software - it takes something like 6 hours apparently.
Can u define the meaning of "remote IRAP sessions" & which software BMW AG updating? Is it for the new DME ? Coz I knew nothing about these thing
& I have explain the whole steps & process for the dumb dealer and act like I know how it work
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #94
boomn29
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i

Has anyone with the M-PPK kit installed noticed their Start/Stop no longer functioning? I've had mine for a few weeks and it hasn't shut off at all at stoplights! I understand it won't if in manual mode, A/C on past a certain level, if it's too cold or hot, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #95
gigibombom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335xi

r u sure u r not on "sport shifting" mode( e.g. pull the lever to the left but not in manual.S1,S2, ....)? if so, the ASS is equivalent to off. I had it installed but now just have about 100+ miles on it since then. so far everything works fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomn29 View Post
Has anyone with the M-PPK kit installed noticed their Start/Stop no longer functioning? I've had mine for a few weeks and it hasn't shut off at all at stoplights! I understand it won't if in manual mode, A/C on past a certain level, if it's too cold or hot, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #96
NordicBob
Private
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 Sapphire Black metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
Gentlemen, I went through this when getting my PPK installed in April. Unfortunately my DME got fried so have to do this again. This is the blueprint of how the install goes that I posted back then. This only applies to pre november builds.

FWIW 6 cannot be avoided

Will do

UPDATE

Here is how I think this is playing out based on the calls I received today and yesterday:

1) You bring your car in, it doesn't matter what you tell them, they will have to go through a set process until revised instructions are sent from BMW.
2) The process involves them installing this for you.
3) The DME will not "take", i.e. the kit includes the hardware, unfortunately your car's software will not recognize the hardware and the car will not start. The car is assuming its been stolen, its a big deal to the car if the engine h/ware is being tempered with.
4) They will open up a service bulletin with BMW, BMW will approve for them to install the new DME software and program the car or whatever instruction they will give them.
5) The instruction will not work
6) BMW will then remotely program the car with everything installed in the car so the car recognizes the DME h/ware and the software in the car accepts this new h/ware.
7) You will then pick up your car.

My car is now at 6. 6 can take up to 2 days but right now the estimate by the dealer is it should be available today. I still think tomorrow at the earliest.

Unfortunately this is the way its going to play out for many of you. How long each step takes is going to depend on your circumstances and also on when BMW revises this whole process. Bear in mind that most of us who have had this done (I think there is 4 of us with the DME) have pretty much broken the dealerships virginity regarding this install so there aren't that many people who are getting this done. This is probably why BMW has not bothered to change the steps.
300hp. Thank you for your detailed post regarding the expected scenario. My 2013 September 2012 build 335i is at the dealer now having the MPPK installed. Your description is exactly what my dealer has experienced in doing the install. I just got a call from my SA that my car is ready so I will pick it up tomorrow.

Once I get my car back I will post my impressions and if my "Sports Display" now reads 400/400.
      09-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #97
boomn29
Private
Rep

Quote:
r u sure u r not on "sport shifting" mode( e.g. pull the lever to the left but not in manual.S1,S2, ....)? if so, the ASS is equivalent to off. I had it installed but now just have about 100+ miles on it since then. so far everything works fine.
Good question - but yes I am sure.

I've got the M-PPK and a catted downpipe (which is currently throwing a CEL). I did the downpipe install about 3 days after the M-PPK upgrade; and the start/stop has not kicked at all. During the 3 days before the downpipe; I was probably in Sport mode most of the time - hard to say.

But I can be in 100% auto; comfort, A/C off, 60-80 degrees outside; stoplight at completely full stop, etc. No start/stop.
I've got a BMW appt on Monday to look over the car after I ask the dealer the same question. Same dealer that completed by M-PPK upgrade in 1 day and I've got the old 2012 DME build; so good confidence.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #98
F555
Captain
Indonesia
Rep

Got a called yesterday from my BMW dealer &....
FINALLY my MPPK is up & working after sitting almost 2 months at the dealer lol..
didn't ask how they did it, I'm just glad they got the MPPK problems solved.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #99
gigibombom
Enlisted Member
Rep

Congrats!! This thing really needs some luck to get through. Enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by F555 View Post
Got a called yesterday from my BMW dealer &....
FINALLY my MPPK is up & working after sitting almost 2 months at the dealer lol..
didn't ask how they did it, I'm just glad they got the MPPK problems solved.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #100
gigibombom
Enlisted Member
Rep

I have experienced the similar thing the other day. I was in sport mode and giving a couple of smashes on the throttle on the highway then when I came to a light, ASS didnt work. I continued normal driving style on semi-highway and for couple stops ASS still didnt work. A day after, I used my car again and ASS started functioning normally. So my guess will be that once the computer detects the performance driving style it will signal to disable ASS to maintain its "mode" to not to give the engine too many fluctuations to protect it(hypothetically speaking, from high performance to shut down might not be good for any engines). that was just my guess and I am no expert. But since your case the ASS wont come back which is definitely an issue. Sounds like ur dealer really know what they r doing so i think you r in good hands. happy driving lol.

Quote:

I've got the M-PPK and a catted downpipe (which is currently throwing a CEL). I did the downpipe install about 3 days after the M-PPK upgrade; and the start/stop has not kicked at all. During the 3 days before the downpipe; I was probably in Sport mode most of the time - hard to say.

But I can be in 100% auto; comfort, A/C off, 60-80 degrees outside; stoplight at completely full stop, etc. No start/stop.
I've got a BMW appt on Monday to look over the car after I ask the dealer the same question. Same dealer that completed by M-PPK upgrade in 1 day and I've got the old 2012 DME build; so good confidence.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #101
boomn29
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have experienced the similar thing the other day. I was in sport mode and giving a couple of smashes on the throttle on the highway then when I came to a light, ASS didnt work. I continued normal driving style on semi-highway and for couple stops ASS still didnt work. A day after, I used my car again and ASS started functioning normally. So my guess will be that once the computer detects the performance driving style it will signal to disable ASS to maintain its "mode" to not to give the engine too many fluctuations to protect it(hypothetically speaking, from high performance to shut down might not be good for any engines). that was just my guess and I am no expert. But since your case the ASS wont come back which is definitely an issue. Sounds like ur dealer really know what they r doing so i think you r in good hands. happy driving lol.
Gotcha. Dropped it off this morning to look into the ASS not functioning.
Fwiw; it's 57 degrees this morning and I drove in via Comfort mode only. Never gunned it, never manually shifted; drove like a grandma basically because of traffic. Probably 4+ stoplights over 10 miles and it never shut off. Before the M-PPK it would have each time.

I'll report back later today probably...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #102
NordicBob
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicBob View Post

Once I get my car back I will post my impressions and if my "Sports Display" now reads 400/400.

For those with the USA installations, did you get the "ARB EO" (Air Resources Board Executive Order) sticker for Aftermarket, Performance, and Add-on Parts Regulations to place under your hood? My dealer told me that it did not come with my kit. Not a big deal, but a little concerned if this might be a potential issue if and when I ever decide to sell my car due to the stringent emissions laws here.
      10-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #103
boomn29
Private
Rep

Quote:

Picked up the 335i yesterday - I had an issue with my DP install that bent a sensor apparently - which is now fixed. Only driven about 20 miles thus far. But; Auto S/S working again - and no CEL's. I back after thursday; 250 mile trip planned (reminder; I've got the M-PPK and Challenge HF DP installed).
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #104
parisholley
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

finally got my DME from germany, installed and all a go! will probably post a butt dyno review but so far thinking my findings are similar to others
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 12:39 AM   #105
NordicBob
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicBob View Post

For those with the USA installations, did you get the "ARB EO" (Air Resources Board Executive Order) sticker for Aftermarket, Performance, and Add-on Parts Regulations to place under your hood? I did not. Not a big deal, but a little concerned if this might be a potential issue if and when I ever decide to sell my car due to the stringent emissions laws here.
Anyone?

Last edited by NordicBob; 10-03-2013 at 02:36 AM.. Reason: Wording
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 04:21 AM   #106
JamesMA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Finally after months and months, I got the call that the new MPPK / DME was in for warranty install! I have now had the car back for a week and it is a beast compared to stock IMHO (and don't even get me started on the base F30 328i loaner I had for install). They had fixed the fan/limp mode last April (when I got the MPPK installed originally).

Everything seems to be fine now and I am going to enjoy the car fully.

Gone: 2018 F80 ///M3 ZCP 6 MT, 2013 F30 335i 6MT M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #107
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Just an FYI, the PPK made the track experience purely psychotically WONDERFUL...I was able to hit 120mph on the Sam Posey straight at Lime Rock. For reference, I think most IMSA cup cars and ALMS cars hit 185+ on that straight...
I was taking over all sorts of cars, modified M3's, VW's, etc. So, as expected, BMW does not give us the true figures of this mod.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #108
BTT 335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ok guys after MPPK was installed how many milles get for galon? I drive like a grandpa in comfort mode and I have 20-21. I think somethink is wrong, what about yours?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 04:12 AM   #109
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

I'm getting 27-28 in mixed city/highway driving in ECO mode when I'm driving conservatively....and as high as 35-36 mpg on a purely highway trip.
Appreciate 0