F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > I got my 2013 f30 under invoice - but WHY?!
Studio RSR

11-28-2012, 06:51 AM   #23
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by micosilver View Post
Here is my take on it, as someone on the other side of the desk:

Two factors are more important than the exact cost to the dealer:

1. Are you a local customer/repeat client? A dealership will make more than a few fundred just from warranty and schedule maintenance service.

2. Are you there in person? Internet is great, but online shopping is not a guarantee for the best price. You sitting in my office with the checkbook in hand is the best language my sales manager will understand. Come prepared, ready to buy, the car in stock - anything can happen.

1. Actually, new customer and an hour out of their market. The CA said that they are really going after me since I am out of their market, and they want to bring me "in to their market". Ok, yeah, sure, mmm hmm ... whaaaaat-ever!

2. Online and final offer was made by them over the phone. It is just a totally bizarre situation. The first and only time I went to the dealer was to sign the papers, pay my deposit.

Mico, I agree 100% with what you are saying. What is bizarre is that my experience has just been the opposite (which is why I am expecting them at any point to call me and say, "very sorry, we made a a mistake, we have to void your contract").
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 06:58 AM   #24
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

i might be getting a car tommorrow under invoice before the holiday cash. they do get some sort of bonus for selling X cars in a month and its near the end of the month. im sure BMW pays them some sort of money for number of cars they can move a year too
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #25
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Also keep in mind dealers have quotas, so if they were low on their quota they may have needed to push the extra cars to get their numbers up even if it means lowering what they make.

But in general a dealer will never "lose" money on a car. Even if they have it sitting on their lot for a year. I was hunting for a new 335D and a few dealers still had some in stock, but weren't as aggressive on pricing as they should've been...I guess they realized they'd rather convert them into loaners.
      11-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #26
PeterM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shicobico View Post
1. Actually, new customer and an hour out of their market. The CA said that they are really going after me since I am out of their market, and they want to bring me "in to their market". Ok, yeah, sure, mmm hmm ... whaaaaat-ever!

2. Online and final offer was made by them over the phone. It is just a totally bizarre situation. The first and only time I went to the dealer was to sign the papers, pay my deposit.

Mico, I agree 100% with what you are saying. What is bizarre is that my experience has just been the opposite (which is why I am expecting them at any point to call me and say, "very sorry, we made a a mistake, we have to void your contract").
Same here I haven't even stepped foot into the dealer that im buying from. I paid the deposit over the phone, sent faxed app with signatures and they ordered the car for me. Hope it will be here in a couple weeks.
      11-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #27
g2g8969
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Same here I haven't even stepped foot into the dealer that im buying from. I paid the deposit over the phone, sent faxed app with signatures and they ordered the car for me. Hope it will be here in a couple weeks.
Same. First time bmw buyer and I talked to one of the sponsered CA on the "other forum" and he didn't even ask for a deposit, did everything online via email. Did the credit app on bmwfs, and ordered the car for me at invoice! No signatures needed until the car arrives! Easiest car buying experience ever !
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #28
EB_F30
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13' M Sport 335 6MT

First time BMW buyer as well and totally haggle free experience and they already list the cars below wholesale (and no tax) so its a no brainier...once I test drove a new 335 I was done. Main decision for me was what options I wanted. By far the easiest car buying experience I've ever had. Should have my ride in Jan.

To the OP, never feel guilty about getting a good deal. Like you said....you work hard, you pay your taxes etc...enjoy your new ride knowing you got a good deal.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #29
Ali.K_BMW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMA View Post
"Invoice" does not mean what the dealer actually pays for a car. If everyone, including the salesman, did not make money, they would not have sold you the car.
Invoice is actually what the dealer pays. However, they do have the hold back money from the manufacturer once the car sells.
      11-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #30
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAFP View Post
Invoice is actually what the dealer pays. However, they do have the hold back money from the manufacturer once the car sells.
so i was talking to the dealer when he was dropping me off at my new car the other day.

he said they do get "performance bonuses" when they move a certain number of cars so for them its worth it to sell some under invoice if they need it to move cars.

that said i picked up my EB2 m-sport 328i for $1000 under invoice. and then another $1000 off for the holiday cash. ... so $2000 under! quite happy with the deal i got, and they seemed quite happy to sell me the car.

today is nov 30th, and most dealers in southern california seem to be willing to do invoice on any model on their lots (my mom said the dealer she went to to look at an x3, said invoice on cars on the lot and even on cars to order) or order. BMW must really be trying to utilize capacity now that europe isnt buying as many cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #31
phillye30fanboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mustang EB PP, 86 Notch

if your leasing it, its a win win for them. They get is what a usually repeat customer, as well as a used car they can sell in 36 or so months. It all pays off somewhere.