F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW X3 diesel also caught up European emissions scandal. BMW's official response.
Studio RSR

09-24-2015, 08:08 AM   #1
DDD31
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

BMW X3 diesel also caught up European emissions scandal. BMW's official response.

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Updated 9/24/15 with BMW's official response on this matter:

BMW's official full response on the matter:

BMW Group is committed to observing the legal requirements in each country and fulfilling all local testing requirements.

In other words, our exhaust treatment systems are active whether rolling on the test bench or driving on the road.

Clear, binding specifications and processes are in place through all phases of development at the BMW Group in order to avoid wrongdoing.

Two studies carried out by the ICCT have confirmed that the BMW X5 and 13 other BMW vehicles tested comply with the legal requirements concerning NOx emissions. No discrepancies were found in the X5 between laboratory-test and field-test NOx emissions.

We are not familiar with the test results mentioned by Auto Bild on 24 September concerning the emissions of a BMW X3 during a road test. No specific details of the test have yet been provided and therefore we cannot explain these results. We are contacting the ICCT and asking for clarification of the test they carried out.

We are willing to discuss our testing procedures with the relevant authorities and to make our vehicles available for testing at any time.

The importance of diesel engines in achieving CO2 targets

Policymakers worldwide, and in particular in the European Union, are setting tough standards for CO2 and other emissions. The 2020 targets in Europe can only be fulfilled through extensive use of modern diesel engines and further electrification.

The progress achieved so far in CO2 reduction in Europe is largely due to the use of diesel technology. Meeting future requirements will not be feasible without diesel drive trains, since a diesel engine emits roughly 15 to 20 per cent less CO2 on average than a comparable petrol engine.

At the BMW Group, we have invested a great deal in recent years in refining and optimizing diesel technology.

At BMW, diesel vehicles accounted for 38% of vehicles sold worldwide last year: Europe 80%; Germany 73%; US 6%. This represents approx. 20,000 vehicles in the US in 2014.

The Euro 6 emissions standard, which took effect on 1 September 2015 and is binding for all new vehicle registrations, improves both environmental and consumer protection.

To bridge the gap between test results and real-life fuel consumption and emissions, the European Union is working on a new test cycle (WLTP) and an emissions test for real driving situations, known as “real driving emissions” or RDE. We support the swift introduction of the new regulations to create clarity for consumers and the industry as quickly as possible.

Uhoh:

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/09/24/bmw-s...on-levels.html

The fallout from the Volkswagen emissions scandal continued to spread across Europe Thursday as regulators found the German giant had also cheated on tests in Europe as well as the U.S. and other carmakers were caught up in speculation about further manipulations.

Billions of euros have been wiped off Volkswagen's value following the revelation that the company had used software to change its diesel engines' performance under U.S. test conditions.

On Thursday German Transport Minister told reporters that similar dodges have been carried out on VW engine tests in Europe.

"We have been informed that also in Europe, vehicles with 1.6 and 2.0 liter diesel engines are affected by the manipulations that are being talked about," Dobrindt told Reuters, adding that random tests would be carried out on other manufacturers' models.

Shares of German auto maker BMW dropped sharply in mid-morning trade Thursday after a German newspaper claimed its diesel engines were "significantly" exceeding regulatory limits.

Auto Bild - a publication owned by Axel Springer - said Thursday in an exclusive report that BMW engines were emitting nitrogen oxide levels that were 11 times more than the current limit set by the European Union.

Citing road tests by the International Council on Clean Transportation (ICCT), it said that a model of the BMW X3 was emitting more poisonous gases than the Volkswagen car that is currently at the center of the emissions scandal.

"All measured data suggest that this is not a VW-specific issue," Peter Mock, the Europe Managing Director at the ICCT, told the publication.

BMW shares were 5 percent lower by a round 10:30 a.m. London time after the report was published. This came as other European auto makers were enjoying a bout of buying after several sessions of declines. Volkswagen shares were trading higher by 5.4 percent on Thursday morning.

In a statement , BMW said the carmaker did not "manipulate or rig any emissions tests. We observe the legal requirements in each country and adheres to all local testing requirements. When it comes to our vehicles, there is no difference in the treatment of exhaust emissions whether they are on rollers (eg. test bench situation) or on the road."

"We are not familiar with the test mentioned by Auto Bild concerning the emissions of a BMW X3 during a road test. No specific details of the test have yet been provided and therefore we cannot explain these results."

The company added that the ICCT had confirmed that the BMW X5 and 13 other BMW vehicles tested complied with the legal NOx requirements.
Appreciate 2
      09-24-2015, 08:24 AM   #2
Mord Mckee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Hazardous

Road test not a lab test, according to BMW produces different results.

Although stocks went down 10% on it.
      09-24-2015, 08:34 AM   #3
DDD31
Captain
Rep

In a statement , BMW said the carmaker did not "manipulate or rig any emissions tests. We observe the legal requirements in each country and adheres to all local testing requirements. When it comes to our vehicles, there is no difference in the treatment of exhaust emissions whether they are on rollers (eg. test bench situation) or on the road."

According to the article, the X3 was the only vehicle that was above limits where the X5 and 13 other BMW vehicles passed. Hopefully it was just that one vehicle, very strange....
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 08:47 AM   #4
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I can't imagine BMW would be stupid enough to try this gimmick, but then again I never would have believed VW was stupid enough to try this gimmick.

Where there's smoke.....
Appreciate 2
      09-24-2015, 09:54 AM   #5
Pentium
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
That's why I never buy or drive diesel
      09-24-2015, 10:02 AM   #6
iacamacho
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Run! Time to buy BMW shares....
Appreciate 4
      09-24-2015, 10:02 AM   #7
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

Now there may be a new meaning to the word :

"Fahrvergnügen" means "driving enjoyment" in English (from fahren, "to drive," and vergnügen, "enjoyment"). One of the tag lines incorporating the word was: "Fahrvergnügen: It's what makes a car a Volkswagen".

To lie, deceive, cheat on a paper, fabricate, :use in a sentence- " I liked the deal but found out I was completely fahrvergnugened".

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 10:04 AM   #8
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

The guys who outed the VW 2l engines also tested the X5 (not sure if it was an E70 or F15). The X5 passed

We should be fine once all the testing is done. It seems BMW is also stating that all their engines meet the required standards so hopefully the testing on the 4 bangers will confirm this too

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 10:29 AM   #9
BMWPower06
A^M=G is nothing w/o the Power of ///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M5 & ///M3

Read the update:
"In summary, BMW is just playing by the rules to be competitive. VW is cheating."

http://jalopnik.com/german-magazine-...tes-1732767600
      09-24-2015, 10:31 AM   #10
Bowser330
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: i3 REX

Or it could just be a stock manipulation play. Quick way to make a million bucks for your hedge fund. Short BMW stock.
Appreciate 4
      09-24-2015, 10:32 AM   #11
DDD31
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@GTBPerformance View Post
I wouldn't react to this until they actually come forth with the testing methodology and are able to replicate the results.

Correlation does not always equal causation. This could just be a journalistic outlet trying to throw "Diesel" on the fire to get clicks.
Agreed.

The media vultures are circling
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 10:33 AM   #12
Shroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M, 2012 X5M, AMG E 63 S Wagon

1 X3 does not make a conspiracy, but the Algo's sure dumped BMW stock so that says something. I would look to Audi before BMW as far copycats to the crime, although Audi uses Adblue. I would be surprised if everyone was up to no good..a poor way to keep a secret when everyone is in on the scam.

I seriously doubt BMW is in on the scam..it would crush them if they were.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 10:40 AM   #13
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

so just the x3 20d.. isnt that engine used in other cars? seems like auto bild is just phishing to make a headline.
      09-24-2015, 10:59 AM   #14
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 GT3RS, 08 E92 M3, 06 Evo IX

Trust no one
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2015, 11:14 AM   #15
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I can't imagine BMW would be stupid enough to try this gimmick, but then again I never would have believed VW was stupid enough to try this gimmick.

Where there's smoke.....
^ +1

100% Agreed
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 11:23 AM   #16
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

There is going to be a cloud (double entendre) over all diesel cars for a while. Whether this leads to their demise in the US or elsewhere is to be seen. In the last 5 days BMW shares have declined about 15%.

VW is not the first manufacturer to get caught cheating on diesel engines. Heavy truck engine manufacturers were fined a few years back. However, this comes at a time of increased environmental regulatory tightening and an activist EPA installed by Obama.

One would have to be brave to buy a diesel powered car or light truck right now. Owners of all VW's not just diesels are reporting it is nearly impossible to sell their cars right now. Leasing companies are going to take a giant hit on this.
      09-24-2015, 11:27 AM   #17
Ganxxta
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F32 4er Coupé

Well Autobild is VW/Audi sponsored, in every "test" they had either a VW or Audi won.

I would wait for final judgment once there is a real source for this.

Besides, its 100% clear that all cars use way more fuel in real driving then they state in the standard test cycle, therefore obviously more emissions.

For me it was usually 20-30% in every car with my normal driving style above what they state in the European test cycle.
Appreciate 3
      09-24-2015, 11:27 AM   #18
dbworld4k
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser330
Or it could just be a stock manipulation play. Quick way to make a million bucks for your hedge fund. Short BMW stock.
Yup.

VW stock already bounced back by 5% this morning lol. Whoever bought yesterday, made a nice quick profit. 5% gain in 24 hours is amazing for an investor.
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2015, 11:36 AM   #19
N550369
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentium
That's why I never buy or drive diesel
Great logic. U r so kewl.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 11:43 AM   #20
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver
There is going to be a cloud (double entendre) over all diesel cars for a while. Whether this leads to their demise in the US or elsewhere is to be seen. In the last 5 days BMW shares have declined about 15%.

VW is not the first manufacturer to get caught cheating on diesel engines. Heavy truck engine manufacturers were fined a few years back. However, this comes at a time of increased environmental regulatory tightening and an activist EPA installed by Obama.

One would have to be brave to buy a diesel powered car or light truck right now. Owners of all VW's not just diesels are reporting it is nearly impossible to sell their cars right now. Leasing companies are going to take a giant hit on this.
I would say this is the time to buy a diesel while it's a buyers market, get it cheap. I would get a GL 350 diesel if I were in the mkt.

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #21
BMWPower06
A^M=G is nothing w/o the Power of ///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M5 & ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post

lol you're joking right?? It has been less than a week! It has taken me months to sell any car I've ever owned...
      09-24-2015, 11:53 AM   #22
jbeene
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 435i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post

Where there's smoke.....
There's a VW diesel?

Funny how VW doesn't use urea injection(ad blue) and BMW and MB do...I thought this was their main method of meeting emission requirements with their diesel cars?

Based on what we've seen of BMW as a corporate citizen I can't believe the nonsense that went on at VW would be tolerated at BMW.