F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Golf Tee Mod
Studio RSR

11-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #23
340driver
Enlisted Member
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F15 Xdrive35i Pure Experience

It does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
anyone else think the PPK would make the performance exhaust sound much better?
It does, go here http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc...es_sedan.html# click on Drivetrain, 335i PPK, and then image 4 which is a sound clip of the PPK with Exhaust (nice bubbling on the overrun). Image 3 is just PPK, and 5 is stock.

Good comparisons.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 06:35 AM   #24
rtgirard
1-5-3-6-2-4
United_States
Rep
Drives: Awaiting 2013 335xi -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
Nice then you dont need to do the mod.
Yea, plus the mod is pointless since there's no change in exhaust note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Wait, mine does that too.
I even posted a video on here of it...left side closed, right side spewing exhaust on startup. Once it's warmed up, both are open and GTG.
I think this is normal and the flap is only closed on cold start. Has anyone else actually confirmed that it closes again after warmup while you're driving around?
      12-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #25
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtgirard View Post
Yea, plus the mod is pointless since there's no change in exhaust note.

I think this is normal and the flap is only closed on cold start. Has anyone else actually confirmed that it closes again after warmup while you're driving around?
I actually can now hear my exhaust driving around town now. Its not loud but I can now hear it.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #26
rtgirard
1-5-3-6-2-4
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
I actually can now hear my exhaust driving around town now. Its not loud but I can now hear it.
I suppose if the normal function on your car is to shut the flapper while you're out driving, then yea that might make a difference. What you're describing seems to be normal for me. Since delivery I've been impressed with how loud the stock exhaust is... must be because once warm, my flapper remains open by default.
      12-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #27
jsedlak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 6spd

Has anyone confirmed that it closes for eco-pro and comfort modes? Whenever I switch to sport, the exhaust gets noticeably louder.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #28
utenigma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i 8SA M-Adaptive

Garage List
Anybody interested in an override mod for the actuator? Thinking of intercepting the open/close signal at the harness and wiring it to a 3 position switch you could mess with while driving (open always, normal, closed always)
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #29
MNBart
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X5MC; '97 M3

Quote:
I suppose if the normal function on your car is to shut the flapper while you're out driving, then yea that might make a difference. What you're describing seems to be normal for me. Since delivery I've been impressed with how loud the stock exhaust is... must be because once warm, my flapper remains open by default.
Anyone have a video? Sorry if this I a dumb question; I came from VW and just got my car
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 07:01 AM   #30
RASHID007
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d X-Drive

Quote:
Honestly, on cold start my car is quite loud with just the right-side pipe open. When the actuator opens the left-side flap (and the actuator is surprisingly loud), then the whole tone actually quiets down as the car finishes warming up. And furthermore, once the car is warmed up, I've yet to see the left-side pipe close up again... it seems to stay open all the time for me.
What do you mean by "the actuator is surprisingly loud". Do you have this sound which is driving me nuts?

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=705415
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #31
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASHID007 View Post
What do you mean by "the actuator is surprisingly loud". Do you have this sound which is driving me nuts?

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=705415
I don't think the screeching sound in your video is from the actuator for the exhaust valve. Here is a video, below, where you can hear the sound of the actuator open after the engine warms up from a cold start. You can here it open at the 1:06 mark...

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #32
RASHID007
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb817 View Post
I don't think the screeching sound in your video is from the actuator for the exhaust valve. Here is a video, below, where you can hear the sound of the actuator open after the engine warms up from a cold start. You can here it open at the 1:06 mark...

Thank you so much. You are right, my sound is not as loud as the screeching in that first video. My sound is EXACTLY like the 1:06 mark of this video. Must be the actuator/flap opening.

So this is normal? It sounds so ghetto as I can hear it sometimes when I let off the gas pedal when driving in city streets.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #33
rtgirard
1-5-3-6-2-4
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASHID007 View Post
Thank you so much. You are right, my sound is not as loud as the screeching in that first video. My sound is EXACTLY like the 1:06 mark of this video. Must be the actuator/flap opening.

So this is normal? It sounds so ghetto as I can hear it sometimes when I let off the gas pedal when driving in city streets.
Yes... at 1:06 that's the actuator opening the flap. I tend to only drive in sport mode which seems to leave the flap open all the time.

I will say, though, that my wife drives around solely in comfort mode and she hasn't said a single thing about hearing the actuator while driving around town... and she would certainly say something if it was noticeable!
      12-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #34
UhhItsANT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
So i did this. And after i did it. Apparently it wasnt tight enough, so there was movement down there. so i went back down to redo it. as i was taking off the wire to re-secure it again, i noticed that the too wouldnt line up if i decided to put the spring back in there. does the motor turn a bit more without the spring then it does with the spring (im guessing spring holds it back from going all the way) since there a grove in inside the exhaust to prevent the flap from going further then allowed.

If i look at the motor side if i were to put the spring on that side it wouldnt go in, the top of the spring wouldnt fit due to the bracket that holds the motor.

Can someone check to see if there is like that too? Has anyone tried to put the spring back?

BTW, does this waste more gas? After the mod i see my miles per tank dropping quickly.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #35
fshubert
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

I don't see how it could effect the gas mileage. I guess anything is possible. I do see a difference between sport+ and comfort modes. Plus my driving habits could negatively impact my gas mileage.
      12-25-2012, 11:46 PM   #36
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntBabeee
So i did this. And after i did it. Apparently it wasnt tight enough, so there was movement down there. so i went back down to redo it. as i was taking off the wire to re-secure it again, i noticed that the too wouldnt line up if i decided to put the spring back in there. does the motor turn a bit more without the spring then it does with the spring (im guessing spring holds it back from going all the way) since there a grove in inside the exhaust to prevent the flap from going further then allowed.

If i look at the motor side if i were to put the spring on that side it wouldnt go in, the top of the spring wouldnt fit due to the bracket that holds the motor.

Can someone check to see if there is like that too? Has anyone tried to put the spring back?

BTW, does this waste more gas? After the mod i see my miles per tank dropping quickly.
I had this same problem. I just put the clip in place and pushed it up against the groove and had a friend start up the car. As the actuator moved, the clip popped back into place.

Today I just disconnected the electrical harness and tucked it away. The flap remains open. Errors be damned.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #37
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number View Post
I had this same problem. I just put the clip in place and pushed it up against the groove and had a friend start up the car. As the actuator moved, the clip popped back into place.

Today I just disconnected the electrical harness and tucked it away. The flap remains open. Errors be damned.
do you notice any sound difference? if so what?

also, fyi, you might not see a code but the dealer will see one. they probably wont care tho, such a minor mod
      12-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #38
ƒ°
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1
Quote:

do you notice any sound difference? if so what?

also, fyi, you might not see a code but the dealer will see one. they probably wont care tho, such a minor mod
Yep. I did a test with an OBD reader. Nothing showed up but I'm almost certain the dealer service dept has more comprehensive diagnostic tools. As far as how loud it is... if there is any difference, it's really subtle. I'll let you know later tonight. I have a long distant drive today.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #39
UhhItsANT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

So I take it you clipped the exhaust side in then turned on car then the motor side snapped into place on its on right? Clever!! I didnt think of that. Thanks for the info. My worries are gone now. haha. Didnt know how i was going to put it back on if i had to go into dealer for service.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #40
ƒ°
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntBabeee View Post
So I take it you clipped the exhaust side in then turned on car then the motor side snapped into place on its on right? Clever!! I didnt think of that. Thanks for the info. My worries are gone now. haha. Didnt know how i was going to put it back on if i had to go into dealer for service.
Yup. But I had to be under the car holding the clip in place with pressure so that it would pop back in. Hope it works out for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #41
UhhItsANT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yup. But I had to be under the car holding the clip in place with pressure so that it would pop back in. Hope it works out for you.
Ok. sounds kinda scary having to be to under the car holding it. Afraid it might pop and fly at me. Did you use any tool to help hold it in place, if so what tool? How fast does it actually turn?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 12:00 AM   #42
ƒ°
Rep

Quote:
Ok. sounds kinda scary having to be to under the car holding it. Afraid it might pop and fly at me. Did you use any tool to help hold it in place, if so what tool? How fast does it actually turn?
Used a needle noise plier. It doesn't turn too quickly. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 12:32 AM   #43
UhhItsANT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number
Quote:
Used a needle noise plier. It doesn't turn too quickly. Good luck!
Also when you hold it. What is the best position to put the flap in? Open or close? So that the motor turns and snaps in. I'm afraid of it snapping in at the wrong position and risk of breaking something.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 06:51 PM   #44
ƒ°
Rep

So I've been driving around with the Actuator unplugged for the past week. It is definitely louder. There is a drone at highway speeds if you leave the RPM around 3k and above. However, on the highways, I usually try to cruise at 2.5k. So the drone isn't an issue for me. The sound is really pleasant. Try it out for a week.
Appreciate 0