F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Connected Drive Portal???
Extreme Powerhouse

09-02-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
ikonic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 328I M-Sport

Connected Drive Portal???

For those of you with Professional Nav and an iPhone.....

Have you tried using the "My Bmw Remote" app yet?

IIRC, it allows you to lock your car, locate it, flash headlights, send addresses and pre-condition it all via your iPhone.

Just downloaded the app myself, however it's asking for a "Connected Drive Portal" log-in ID and password.

Any of you guys started using this yet and know where we can register???
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonic View Post
For those of you with Professional Nav and an iPhone.....

Have you tried using the "My Bmw Remote" app yet?

IIRC, it allows you to lock your car, locate it, flash headlights, send addresses and pre-condition it all via your iPhone.

Just downloaded the app myself, however it's asking for a "Connected Drive Portal" log-in ID and password.

Any of you guys started using this yet and know where we can register???
I've not tried it yet as I'm waiting for the registration details to come through. From what I can remember being told yesterday we get 3 years of BMW Assist free (if you can call the amount they charge for the Pro Nav etc free )

The dealer should register your car and then in a few days time you'll get the details through to go onto the BMW website and register there. My dealer waits until handover to allow the extra days rather than have it run out before the 3 year period ends prior to handback.

This was one of the last things that we went through so by then my head was starting to spin slightly from trying to take it all in but I think that was the general explanation

Of course, all the above could be complete nonsense and actually referred to something else entirely. By that time it was almost a case of
      09-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
gadgetboy
Rep
Drives: 1 Series - M Sport

I think you need a BMW assist account as well - as included in option professional nav system that you have. I assume you would have been supplied with a login, however it appears that you can register here as well:

http://www.bmw.com/gb/en/owners/tams/index.html
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #4
ikonic
Private First Class
Rep

Cool, thanks guys.

My dealer mentioned he'd registered me for something already, but like you RJ I wasn't really paying attention at that point and just wanted to get out and drive.

Thanks for the link Gadgetboy; I'll give it a week or so as I'm pretty sure my dealer said I'd get an email through because he'd registered for me, so don't want to go registering again and messing things up.....

Can't wait to give the app a whirl; not sure how useful it'll be in real life, but pretty cool for impressing friends and family I think
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
Cilonen
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla M3, 2016 F11 530d

Hi,

I've got the system but not the app (Crackberry addict rather than iPhone!)

Works very well - have used the option in Google maps to send nav info directly to the car a few times.

You'll get an email telling you you're registered, but the actual login info will come via a text msg to your phone. Without that text msg, you can't use it!

I didn't get the text as my dealer entered the wrong number, so I had to call through to BMW to get the info resent - their Assist number is on the portal website.

Incidentally, I had the info sent through a couple of days prior to collecting the car, so you shouldn't be waiting at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
andymj
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Is the 'google send to car' feature inc with all Pro Nav systems ?
2012 BMW 330d .. gone
2009 MB C250 .. gone
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
Cilonen
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla M3, 2016 F11 530d

It's part of the BMW Assist service rather than the Nav, so if you have BMW Assist spec'd you should have the capability - someone noted that Assist comes with the Pro Nav as standard.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
ikonic
Private First Class
Rep

Sure enough, I got my text through on Monday.

However, after logging into the app, the only option I seem to have is "vehicle position"?

- which is wrong anyway as it seems to be just going off my phone location. I'm away from my car all week so do I have to pair the phone to my car to get the other features?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

I read somewhere that the vehicle position was deliberately limited to 150m accuracy so that it wasn't too "big brother" or something
      09-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Quote:

However, after logging into the app, the only option I seem to have is "vehicle position"?

- which is wrong anyway as it seems to be just going off my phone location. I'm away from my car all week so do I have to pair the phone to my car to get the other features?
My text came through today after a slight delay because I had a new mobile number than the one on the original paperwork way back when.

All the icons appear for me although getting the car to lock or the lights to flash seems to take forever. I checked the car location and apparently it's in a field about 6 miles away from me It's going to be a long walk for me in the morning

Scrap that, I'm moving. Now it seems I'm on the hard shoulder of the M48. Hang on, back in the field....

My car really gets about
      01-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #11
neil-c
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M-sport xdrive

Ok so I have option 606 nav package business advanced, 612 BMW Assist, 616 BMW Assist online portal. So far the only options on "controls" available to me seems to be google local search. I set security question on website and enabled car but no joy so far. Does the system take a while to update? I

Last edited by neil-c; 01-24-2013 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: Added information
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #12
Floriank
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D M Sport Tanzanite

App is available for Android phones too and yes, it does take a good 2-4 minutes for the car to react to commands sent via the app. Flashing the light via remote helps find your car in big parking lot though, especially at night!

Haven't tried the 'Climate Pre-conditioner' yet as in the UK we don't get the remote heating option so I guess it might just be useful in the summer if you want to cool down the car a bit before a planned journey.

Just be careful with the remote 'unlock' feature though, just in case you're not with the car....
      01-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #13
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil-c View Post
Ok so I have option 606 nav package business advanced, 612 BMW Assist, 616 BMW Assist online portal. So far the only options on "controls" available to me seems to be google local search. I set security question on website and enabled car but no joy so far. Does the system take a while to update? I
Double check all the different tabs on the website.
I had issues with mine initially and logged in the second time to find it hadnt saved my answers and had to do it all again
      01-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #14
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:

you need to be within half a mile or less for it to work and it's very slow responding basically crap.
      01-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #15
neil-c
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladester100 View Post
Double check all the different tabs on the website.
I had issues with mine initially and logged in the second time to find it hadnt saved my answers and had to do it all again
Doh! Didn't realise I needed another activation code! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #16
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
I read somewhere that the vehicle position was deliberately limited to 150m accuracy so that it wasn't too "big brother" or something
Mine is pin point accurate - to 5-10 foot when I have a decent signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
you need to be within half a mile or less for it to work and it's very slow responding basically crap.
Yh mines a little slow to connect at times, especially when I was testing and playing with the light flash - probably a good 30 to 90 seconds to respond. Ive used the pre-condition setting a few times but I normally go for the pre-condition at a set time, and then set it a minute or two earlier than I would have knowing the connection time.
Disappointing about the lack of auxiliary heater in UK spec cars. Especially at this time of year!
      01-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #17
neil-c
Rep

What exactly does the pre condition do? Can you alter the setting?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 05:15 AM   #18
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

It turns the ventalation fans on, nothing else. It doesn't heat or cool the air.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #19
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
It turns the ventalation fans on, nothing else. It doesn't heat or cool the air.
Yep, basically a useless function
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #20
neil-c
Rep

That's disappointing, I thought temperature control of some sort would be possible. As you say - pretty pointless
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #21
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
My understanding is that UK law states a vehicle must not be left unattended with the engine running, hence no engine to drive heating or A/C and without an auxiliary heater it basically just moves the air round inside the car.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 03:38 AM   #22
Nexstar2011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i Dravit/Mocca

The whole thing is pretty pointless IMHO. Pre-condition is useless, as are the lock/unlock, find my vehicle (because of distance limitation) and flash headlight function. Admittedly, Google Local Search might be useful (though I haven't used it).

What I don't understand is why it takes so long to process lock/unlock and flash headlights. Not exactly a scientific test, but I stood in the house and initiated flash headlights from the app (at night). Within a very short period of time you can see the Start/Stop Engine button in the car illuminate. Similarly, the app tells me the command was successful. It then takes an age for the command to be executed and the headlights flashed.

Maybe at it's core it's a Commodore 64!!
Appreciate 0