F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Ditching run flats need tire advice
Studio RSR

01-31-2016, 04:09 PM   #23
Danman5666
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Just ditched my S001's for Michelin PSS's. Great decision and ride so much better.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 08:56 PM   #24
steelerfan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 Silver

Those that have ditched the RFT's... Have you had a flat yet? I got a flat coming home from the airport (which is 20 miles from house)... Drove all the way to the dealership (about 25 miles).. I had a freaking wedge of wood in the middle of the tire.. I was showing 1 PSI.. Wish I took a photo of it.. If that happened in a non RFT.. I would have been stuck in rush hour traffic, on the side of a highway, after a long flight home of being gone all week... I was able to drive to the dealership, get a loaner & go home... Hard to put a price on that.

Having a spare in the car is not an option with a 1 year old. Just curious of your experiences.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 11:49 AM   #25
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
Those that have ditched the RFT's... Have you had a flat yet? I got a flat coming home from the airport (which is 20 miles from house)... Drove all the way to the dealership (about 25 miles).. I had a freaking wedge of wood in the middle of the tire.. I was showing 1 PSI.. Wish I took a photo of it.. If that happened in a non RFT.. I would have been stuck in rush hour traffic, on the side of a highway, after a long flight home of being gone all week... I was able to drive to the dealership, get a loaner & go home... Hard to put a price on that.

Having a spare in the car is not an option with a 1 year old. Just curious of your experiences.
I switched to Michelin AS/3's. Wanted more of an all season (was getting closer to winter at the time), plus the stock run-flats were significantly more harsh riding.

Haven't had a flat yet, but I now keep an inflator kit and plug kit in the trunk.

"Slime 70005 Safety Spair 7-Minute Flat Tire Repair System" is what I have. Not keen on spraying the slime inside the tire, but would deal with it in an emergency.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 11:08 AM   #26
metallicpea
Major
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

I see the OP already purchased, but as a point of reference, I will be swapping in the future, and after some research, I would consider the Continental Extreme Contact DW. Have them on my 550i and I have been impressed with them for the price.

Michelin Pilot SS are great, but are probably overkill and high price for most use.

Might also consider the Potenza RE760 sport. It gets better test results than consumer ratings.

Finally, for how I will use this car, I am leaning towards the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 simply for the longer life it should provide per dollar, and I don't need extreme grip. If I do so, I will report back.
Appreciate 0