F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BMW Assist Retrofit
Extreme Powerhouse

10-03-2016, 10:28 PM   #23
Bestia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32 435i, (sold) e70, e39 M5

My service advisor has mentioned the retrofit. My subscription is active through 2024. Guess what I am doing?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 04:21 PM   #24
Hyperlink
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Sport Line

I still have't received the email and it's been almost a week. Have others received their next steps email?
Appreciate 1
sbhagat29.00
      10-05-2016, 07:38 PM   #25
sbhagat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperlink View Post
I still have't received the email and it's been almost a week. Have others received their next steps email?
I haven't gotten an email either.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 09:13 AM   #26
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 BMW 335i M-Sport EB-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperlink View Post
I haven't either, although I only put in the request about two days ago.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 09:54 AM   #27
sbhagat
Private
United_States
Rep

I emailed the customer service contact on the rebate page, after about a week I managed to get a response.

There is an issue with their system and is delaying their corresponding emails. After some push and shove, he asked what choice I made and forwarded the corresponding email.

Basically an email confirmation that you take with you to your service appointment, maintains your VIN and Assist Expiration:

CONFIRMATION EMAIL.
VIN: WBA**************
BMW Assist Contract Expiration:
12/13/2018

Dear SALMAN BHAGAT,

Thank you for visiting bmwassistoffer.com, and electing to retrofit your BMW with new cellular technology*. Here’s what you need to do next to complete the process:

Please follow this BMW Center Locator link and type in your zip code to bring up Centers near you.

Follow the link to schedule your appointment online or contact the dealer directly.

Print this confirmation email, and bring it with you on the day of your scheduled appointment. This email is required to proceed with the appointment.

Once completed, you can continue to enjoy the services available with BMW ConnectedDrive / BMW Assist, such as SOS, BMW Assist eCall™, and Concierge Call. Visit the link below to view all available features.
We look forward to seeing you.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 10:29 AM   #28
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhagat
I emailed the customer service contact on the rebate page, after about a week I managed to get a response.

There is an issue with their system and is delaying their corresponding emails. After some push and shove, he asked what choice I made and forwarded the corresponding email.

Basically an email confirmation that you take with you to your service appointment, maintains your VIN and Assist Expiration:

CONFIRMATION EMAIL.
VIN: WBA**************
BMW Assist Contract Expiration:
12/13/2018

Dear SALMAN BHAGAT,

Thank you for visiting bmwassistoffer.com, and electing to retrofit your BMW with new cellular technology*. Here’s what you need to do next to complete the process:

Please follow this BMW Center Locator link and type in your zip code to bring up Centers near you.

Follow the link to schedule your appointment online or contact the dealer directly.

Print this confirmation email, and bring it with you on the day of your scheduled appointment. This email is required to proceed with the appointment.

Once completed, you can continue to enjoy the services available with BMW ConnectedDrive / BMW Assist, such as SOS, BMW Assist eCall™, and Concierge Call. Visit the link below to view all available features.
We look forward to seeing you.
I received this same email last night. I called my SA and he is going to order the parts. He said their SIB states that they have to: update I-Level, install new comm box, coordinate with teleservices (or w/e it's called) to verify communication, and something about opening a puma case.
      10-06-2016, 11:04 AM   #29
sbhagat
Private
United_States
Rep

etinifni

Can you get the number of the SIB? My SA says he hasn't heard anything..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 04:12 PM   #30
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhagat
etinifni

Can you get the number of the SIB? My SA says he hasn't heard anything..
SIB 84-03-16
      10-06-2016, 09:52 PM   #31
sbhagat
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by etinifni View Post
SIB 84-03-16
My SA ran my vin and said the vin of my vehicle isn't eligible for the retrofit.. Even after showing him the email with my VIN saying its eligible.

Probably need to try a different service center.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 09:04 AM   #32
hsk1610
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Never got a service message on my iDrive as some have posted, but did receive the email from BMW this morning to make my selection and visit the service center to finalize my decision. I have already responded a week ago for the retrofit but have not received any responses back.

We wanted to alert you of an important change. Underlying technologies for features in BMW vehicles are sometimes replaced by newer ones. In this instance, your BMW's on-board cellular technology, used for delivering numerous BMW ConnectedDrive / BMW Assist features, will no longer be supported after December 31, 2016. This will eliminate features such as SOS, BMW Assist eCall™, and Concierge Call.

In order to maintain our firm commitment to customer satisfaction, BMW is offering several solutions since your current BMW ConnectedDrive / BMW Assist contract is active beyond this date.

HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:

Visit bmwassistoffer.com
Enter your zip code and the last seven digits of your VIN (listed above)
Select one of the three options
Agree to all terms, conditions, and disclaimers
Visit your BMW Center to finalize your selection

• $300 BMW Lifestyle and Accessories voucher for in-Center purchases + Deactivation of existing technology
• $200 Visa® Prepaid Card + Deactivation of existing technology
• Retrofit of new cellular technology. Customers with less than one year remaining on their current subscription may purchase a BMW Assist Safety Plan for $199 per year to ensure an extended period of service.
Please note: once completed, your selection cannot be reversed. If the cellular technology is deactivated, your BMW will no longer be able to support BMW ConnectedDrive / BMW Assist and features like the emergency call button.
We hope that you find one of these solutions satisfactory, and we thank you for your continued loyalty to BMW.
Learn More

Last edited by hsk1610; 10-07-2016 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #33
hsk1610
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I received this same email last night. I called my SA and he is going to order the parts. He said their SIB states that they have to: update I-Level, install new comm box, coordinate with teleservices (or w/e it's called) to verify communication, and something about opening a puma case.
If they update the I-level, wonder if they will only update the firmware for the Combo Box and not the entire vehicle. Will save me the hassle of coding the entire vehicle vs just recoding the KOMBI.

Let us know how your appt goes. Mine is set for Oct 27.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 09:49 AM   #34
bateau
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Sedan

Spoke with my SA at BMW of Bellevue (Seattle area) and they are aware of the retrofit campaign. She's checking on parts availability and when they can schedule the procedure.

Edit: Got confirmation email and retrofit appt scheduled for the 18th
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 12:25 PM   #35
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsk1610
Quote:
If they update the I-level, wonder if they will only update the firmware for the Combo Box and not the entire vehicle. Will save me the hassle of coding the entire vehicle vs just recoding the KOMBI.

Let us know how your appt goes. Mine is set for Oct 27.
I don't think they can just update a portion of I Level. While it will suck having to re-code my car after update my issue is that I installed the newer SAT shifter. I'm hoping I don't have to install original shifter for update.
      10-07-2016, 12:32 PM   #36
hsk1610
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't think they can just update a portion of I Level. While it will suck having to re-code my car after update my issue is that I installed the newer SAT shifter. I'm hoping I don't have to install original shifter for update.
I have the same SAT shifter which the dealer mistakenly replaced after I had VO coded for sport trans. I have had it reprogrammed for other issues and the shifter has never been an issue as long as you have 2TB listed. Even if you FDL code for SAT, it won't throw any errors that you can see. My issue, albeit minor, will be all the bulb checks going off for leds after the vehicle is reprogrammed.

EDIT: Received the same email posted by sbhagat confirming my selection overnight.

Last edited by hsk1610; 10-08-2016 at 06:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 07:19 AM   #37
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red

Got the email last night.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 07:19 AM   #38
435MSport6Speed
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435i M Sport 6 Speed

I just signed up for retrofit. Hope I don't lose my Bluetooth music coding.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 09:12 AM   #39
Maxer
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

Warning...rant coming...

It's infuriating that there is no straight forward upgrade path from CIC to NBT. I keep my cars for 8-10 years, which is an eternity in tech.

I'm stuck with CIC in my 2013 until get rid of it in 4-5 years. Now I find out that in 2013, they used a 2G cellular radio! WTF. The tech package is just as important as the drivetrain in our hyperconnected world.

NBT is nice (I've used it in loaners), but it's really just a faster more polished CIC. Yes, it has more connected features, but they are slow and painful. No hardware upgrade path means the NBT folks will be in the same boat at the end of their cycle.

Also, why do we have to code to do basic things like make the doors auto-unlock?! There's no law against this...many other cars in the US do this today.

BMW lost a lot of goodwill with me from my MY2013 experience.

End rant.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 09:31 AM   #40
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 BMW 335i M-Sport EB-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxer View Post
Warning...rant coming...

It's infuriating that there is no straight forward upgrade path from CIC to NBT. I keep my cars for 8-10 years, which is an eternity in tech.

I'm stuck with CIC in my 2013 until get rid of it in 4-5 years. Now I find out that in 2013, they used a 2G cellular radio! WTF. The tech package is just as important as the drivetrain in our hyperconnected world.

NBT is nice (I've used it in loaners), but it's really just a faster more polished CIC. Yes, it has more connected features, but they are slow and painful. No hardware upgrade path means the NBT folks will be in the same boat at the end of their cycle.
Completely agree. In addition, charging hundreds of dollars for twice-yearly map updates is asinine. When more recent BMWs received the ability to update maps OTA at no charge for the first four years, BMW missed an opportunity to build some goodwill by making map upgrades complimentary to existing BW owners (at least for the same four years).

However, even four years is insufficient, in my mind. Tesla does it for seven years, so I hope they continue to put pressure on the auto industry to modernize their ways.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 01:05 PM   #41
435MSport6Speed
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435i M Sport 6 Speed

Just talked to my Service Advisor. He said the retrofit may take up to two days to complete. He said most people are taking the money and not doing the retrofit and that my car would be the first one they do.

So, I asked if there was any issue with me waiting until they had done a few. He said no. So, that's what I'm going to do.

Car will get coded so I may lose my blue tooth music which sucks.
      10-12-2016, 03:02 PM   #42
Skipcam
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Convertible

2013 Retrofit

'I have a 2013 335i convertible that qualifies for the retrofit because its' 4 year warranty doesn't expire till Feb of 2017 (just turned 5K miles!). I opted for the retrofit thinking it might help resale value if it is still able to access those services. Took about a week for email confirming eligibility. Dealer said they have not done one yet and was looking into ordering the parts and checking availability. Has no idea when they will be able to do it.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 05:47 PM   #43
alee0729
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3, 2018 Tesla 3 Perf

Talked to my SA today and parts are ordered (he expects them by Friday).

Sounded like a couple hrs of work -- more administrative with coding and calling in the activation vs swapping out the combox.

Made an appointment for my E92 M3 next week. Making a few notes before I go in case my custom coding gets wiped -- if anything gets undone, I'll just have the dealer take care of it before the car leaves the shop.
      10-14-2016, 10:38 AM   #44
Hyperlink
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Sport Line

I finally got the email from BMW. I contacted the service department at my local BMW dealer and am currently waiting to hear back regarding next steps (they are still reviewing the scope of the work and available parts). Sounds like I'm the first one at that dealer to call in for this work so hopefully it goes well. No appointment yet.
Appreciate 0