F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > deleted
Extreme Powerhouse

04-27-2015, 04:45 PM   #1
boosted43
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 C43 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
deleted

Deleted

Last edited by boosted43; 11-18-2015 at 05:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 04:51 PM   #2
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

sucks to hear. good luck
      04-27-2015, 04:57 PM   #3
chazmink
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Let your insurance company fight it out with them. They should be able to overcome the absurdities.

2013 328i MSport Estoril Blue, 6spd MT, Premium, Tech & Drivers Assist +, Bavsound Stage One/Ghost, Bimmertech Amp

Last edited by chazmink; 04-27-2015 at 07:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 05:10 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazmink View Post
Let you insurance company fight it out with them. They should be able to overcome the absurdities.
+1. That's why insurance companies employ more lawyers than they do underwriters.
Who's footing the bill for the rental? Fedex? Your insurance policy should have a rental clause. If your insurance company is paying for the rental they'll have incentive to get things done ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 05:10 PM   #5
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Yes

Feel for you man...best of luck with the repairs!

BTW, here in CH, it's the dealer that you chose to do the repairs that would give you a rental (which would then be reimbursed via the insurance).
How does it work there? (i.e. why do you have to go through Enterprise?)
2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i DKG | 306 HP / 400Nm | Space Gray | Photo album
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 05:18 PM   #6
boosted43
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Deleted

Last edited by boosted43; 11-18-2015 at 05:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 05:50 PM   #7
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

DW seems reasonable. Owners always think it's never enough. It's an emotional reaction.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 06:38 PM   #8
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
It sucks. But here's reality. No one ever gets a comparable rental to their BMW when it's damaged. If you think you're going to get more than 20% in diminished value you're living in a fantasy world. In most cases people get nothing for diminished value.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

04-27-2015, 07:08 PM   #9
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabawi91 View Post
I did not notify my insurance of it, I went straight through FedEx Claims department and they are somewhat self insured through an insurer called Broadspire. I can only go through Enterprise for some reason, most insurance companies work that way.
I would think again about not notifying your insurance company. Check your policy, some state that you are required to report all incidents and if you fail to do so, the insurance company may cancel your contract.

Further, by not filing a claim, if the repairs performed to your car later turn out to be unsatisfactory, you likely have no recourse (except the body shop). Why? My bet is this "self insured" arm of Fedex will likely have you sign your life away along with the settlement. No signature, no settlement is often how it works.

More than likely this is a comprehensive claim since your car was legally parked. Your insurance likely will not charge you with anything in this regard. Let them fight on your behalf with Fedex and at least you'll have your insurance to back you up in the future if there's an issue with the car.

My 2 cents.
      04-27-2015, 07:11 PM   #10
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Does the repair estimate call for a front fender replacement? I hope so. Also, check your wheel closely for damage/scratches. If wheel was touched have the suspension checked and an alignment done as well.
      04-27-2015, 07:15 PM   #11
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
I would think again about not notifying your insurance company. Check your policy, some state that you are required to report all incidents and if you fail to do so, the insurance company may cancel your contract.

Further, by not filing a claim, if the repairs performed to your car later turn out to be unsatisfactory, you likely have no recourse (except the body shop). Why? My bet is this "self insured" arm of Fedex will likely have you sign your life away along with the settlement. No signature, no settlement is often how it works.

More than likely this is a comprehensive claim since your car was legally parked. Your insurance likely will not charge you with anything in this regard. Let them fight on your behalf with Fedex and at least you'll have your insurance to back you up in the future if there's an issue with the car.

My 2 cents.
This. Agree 100%. It shouldn't effect your insurance because FedEx was at fault. If it does effect it later, change insurance companies...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 07:17 PM   #12
chazmink
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post

My 2 cents.
Absolutely contact your insurance company. An individual is ill equipped to battle a major corporation.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 07:39 PM   #13
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Ok, a few things here. I know you're a student and young, but this is a great learning experience for you. Sucks what they did to your car and how you're treated, but know that you drive (pun) this entire process.

First, I'm sure the laws in your state are about the same as here in Georgia. You got hit, it's the drivers fault. This means that legally, his/their insurance must make you whole. In other words, they must do whatever you dictate within reasonable precedent.

Your car is a 2013, so they may argue that you use aftermarket parts; of course they would. However, you do not need to agree to such and you shouldn't.

Have your car fixed by whoever your dealer uses. This is not something they can argue. Your car gets fixed by whomever you desire.

You'll need to stick close to the shop during the process and tell them you explicitly want only OEM parts. Put this in writing in an email.

As far as the staling, you can have the shop start the work whenever you want; tomorrow. The FedEx insurance is on the hook for it no matter what.

If you need to, call your insurance company and tell them how you're being treated. They will take over dealing with FedEx. I wouldn't do this, as I like to handle everything myself. However, if you do get your insurance to fight, still stay close to the entire process. Stay in communication every step of the way and be firm about what you want/need.

Hate this happened, but if you stand firm, you'll learn how to deal with these jerks and other insurance companies moving forward.

Good luck man, truly mean that.

Keep us posted on what happens. I'll check back in with you and give any nuggets of info that I can. Hope others will also.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 08:01 PM   #14
boosted43
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Deleted

Last edited by boosted43; 11-18-2015 at 05:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 08:02 PM   #15
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post
Ok, a few things here. I know you're a student and young, but this is a great learning experience for you. Sucks what they did to your car and how you're treated, but know that you drive (pun) this entire process.

First, I'm sure the laws in your state are about the same as here in Georgia. You got hit, it's the drivers fault. This means that legally, his/their insurance must make you whole. In other words, they must do whatever you dictate within reasonable precedent.

Your car is a 2013, so they may argue that you use aftermarket parts; of course they would. However, you do not need to agree to such and you shouldn't.

Have your car fixed by whoever your dealer uses. This is not something they can argue. Your car gets fixed by whomever you desire.

You'll need to stick close to the shop during the process and tell them you explicitly want only OEM parts. Put this in writing in an email.

As far as the staling, you can have the shop start the work whenever you want; tomorrow. The FedEx insurance is on the hook for it no matter what.

If you need to, call your insurance company and tell them how you're being treated. They will take over dealing with FedEx. I wouldn't do this, as I like to handle everything myself. However, if you do get your insurance to fight, still stay close to the entire process. Stay in communication every step of the way and be firm about what you want/need.

Hate this happened, but if you stand firm, you'll learn how to deal with these jerks and other insurance companies moving forward.

Good luck man, truly mean that.

Keep us posted on what happens. I'll check back in with you and give any nuggets of info that I can. Hope others will also.
+1!!!!!!! We live in a world where most people want to hand everything off to someone else and never get their hands dirty or experience inconvenience. It's a half-assed attitude and it's a sure way to end up with a half-assed done job. I'm not saying that's the OP, but if it's his inclination he needs to overcome it. If one drops off their car and never goes back to follow the process, then just shows up when called to say it's ready, the odds of the outcome being good are really low.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Last edited by tturedraider; 04-27-2015 at 09:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 09:12 PM   #16
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
I would prefer to deal with it myself rather than get Nationwide involved.
That's what you pay premiums for. They should handle the claim and then they'll get reimbursed by the FedEx insurance carrier. Should you ever have a problem in the future where the quality of these repairs are questioned they might deny you because they weren't involved in making sure these repairs were correctly made. Keeping them out of the loop has many potential pitfalls, and no positive aspects.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 09:27 PM   #17
chazmink
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz
Quote:
I would prefer to deal with it myself rather than get Nationwide involved.
That's what you pay premiums for. They should handle the claim and then they'll get reimbursed by the FedEx insurance carrier. Should you ever have a problem in the future where the quality of these repairs are questioned they might deny you because they weren't involved in making sure these repairs were correctly made. Keeping them out of the loop has many potential pitfalls, and no positive aspects.
OP, you're not listening. The old adage, "the lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client" applies here. Let the insurance company represent your interest and then stay close to them, not FedEx.

2013 328i MSport Estoril Blue, 6spd MT, Premium, Tech & Drivers Assist +, Bavsound Stage One/Ghost, Bimmertech Amp
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 11:42 PM   #18
Jet Driver
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xDrive

Quote:
I'm not trying to be unreasonable with them I just think they could be handling this better, it doesn't take 6 days for an estimator to write up their quote especially if they have an estimate from 2 body shops to work off of.
I think with the above statement, you're kinda supporting what most everyone else has been telling you. If you got your ins company involved, perhaps FedEx would be handling it better.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 11:00 AM   #19
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
+1. That's why insurance companies employ more lawyers than they do underwriters.
Who's footing the bill for the rental? Fedex? Your insurance policy should have a rental clause. If your insurance company is paying for the rental they'll have incentive to get things done ASAP.
Trust me, there are way more underwriters than lawyers. Every insurance company I have ever worked for has had several underwriting departments, at least one in every region, and the legal department was 1-3 staff counsel in each region with the main Legal at HQ.

Anyway, if you have insurance for rental coverage on your policy there is a limit. The policy will cover $X per day to a maximum of $X total. That could be $25/day up to $500, $750, ect, it all depends on the company and which coverage you selected. FedEx will have no such limits and will owe for a 'comparable' car for as long as it takes.

Comparable.....subjective term, to some people it means "I drive a BMW, I want a BMW rental." To most people it means "I drive a normal sized sedan, I want a normal sized sedan, not a SMART or a Prius."

It's a rental, if you can't stand driving a rental for a short period of time then I highly suggest you start buying two cars, one to drive and one to "rent" to yourself in case of accidents. No offense, but get over it.

I had a guy come in last week to my shop, gave the poor Enterprise person a fit. "I won't drive a foreign car, I won't drive a Ford, I don't want a mini-van....."ect, ect. He drives a PONTIAC BTW.....

I so wanted them to just look at him and say "well, I guess you like to walk."

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
In most cases people get nothing for diminished value.
Diminished value depends on the state, some don't even allow for it. Most that do state diminished value must be 'proved', that means you can't make a claim until at least after the repairs are complete to see if there even is anything. Some cases, it can be interpreted to mean there's no DV until you sell the car. LOL

Most people worry about DV thanks to Carfax, here's a tip.............ask you're body shop if they submit repair records to Carfax. Good bet they don't, since most don't. Carfax pulls data from DMV records mostly for "events". Title events such as floods, constructive totals, ect. they get SOME data from insurance companies through an automated system but that only shows a "claim", not much detail without contacting that company directly and requesting their records..................which they don't do.

Unless the person buying your car when you sell it shows up with a paint depth gauge, chances of them noting any repairs done by a reputable shop is minimal.

OP, keep working with FedEx unless they really start to drop the ball then you may have to use the service you pay for with your insurance. FedEx is going to be self-insured with a hired on claim staff, it will be slightly slower than the major insurance carriers with armies of appraisers and adjusters. they are almost certainly using what is called an "Independent Appraiser" which is a person who works for a small company or self-employed who works on a contractor basis with all insurance companies. They have varied backgrounds and work ethics and can be slow. Don't be a pest......but keep on them for updates until the inspection is complete and the shop can start work.

And above all else, don't stress, it's a car, an object, life is too short.
2015 Audi S3 Misano Red | 19" Sport pack w/Mag Ride | B&O
1983 Porsche 944 All stock
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 11:50 AM   #20
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
It sucks. But here's reality. No one ever gets a comparable rental to their BMW when it's damaged. If you think you're going to get more than 20% in diminished value you're living in a fantasy world. In most cases people get nothing for diminished value.
Correct on both points.

Can you imagine the M6 owner throwing a tantrum because he wants a "comparable" rental? Good luck with that. I can see going into some exotic rental place and try charging the insurance for that

And I didn't even try requesting a diminished value last time I got hit. This is basically enough work to hire an attorney, at which point it doesn't make sense anymore. It's one of those Internet things, that when you read it online, it seems like everyone is doing it, but the reality is just very different.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 01:23 PM   #21
jd_perspective
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i M-Sport

get a diminished value report. look online. there is one in st. lucie appraisal seems to be fairly known...

2019 440i Coupe M-Sport - Retired
2018 330i Sedan M-Sport - Retired
2015 428i Gran Coupe M-Sport - Retired
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 01:27 PM   #22
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by exl_ent_v6 View Post
get a diminished value report. look online. there is one in st. lucie appraisal seems to be fairly known...
Yes try that, and report back when it's rejected by the insurance and you have wasted your money. They don't deal with online reports. This has been reported again and again on this forum and others. They want to see dealer opinion on value before and after crash, then you must submit current comparables from your market area. And they have to be very close. You have to find comparables of before and after crash. Needless to say this is impossible.
Appreciate 0