F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Engine Cleaning
GetBMWParts

08-27-2015, 04:20 PM   #1
BGREWAL
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i xDrive Coupe

Engine Cleaning

I've had my car for a while now (couple months) and was wondering how to maintain the engine. What should I be doing to keep the engine in good condition besides the basics such as servicing it, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 03:43 PM   #2
tnsguypat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I

If you are asking how to keep it clean I can help. Other than that just do your regular scheduled maintenance. Spray the engine bay down with water and it will remove any loose dirt. Engine bays are made to withstand getting wet nowadays just don't powerwash things very hard and it will be ok. After that, spray on some degreaser or all purpose cleaner. Spray it liberally and everywhere. Next take a flagged tip brissle brush and scrub everything down to loosen the dirt and grease. Then rinse away any cleaner and dirt. You will want to dry the engine down after so that you do not leave water spots on the plastic. Then if you like you can apply a dressing to the plastics or rubber parts. Many options for dressings. Really shiny greasy ones or you can go for the light sheen. It's up to you. Let me know if you need any more tips.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2015, 01:40 PM   #3
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

Start when your engine is cold. I spray engine with P21S cleaner and then give it a brushing with an ez-detail brush. Then I lightly rinse the engine off with water.

Next I wash the car...making sure I didn't let any P21s dry on the paint. When the car is clean I take it for a small drive and get the engine warm and dry.

Then I give a generous spray of Chemical Guys Black on Black on the engine and the surrounding parts. I do this to my engine 3 times a year and it looks great under my hood!
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2015, 03:41 PM   #4
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
Great tips, I'd always been curious about this as well. I'll have to make some time for this job.
      09-04-2015, 12:37 PM   #5
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsguypat View Post
If you are asking how to keep it clean I can help. Other than that just do your regular scheduled maintenance. Spray the engine bay down with water and it will remove any loose dirt. Engine bays are made to withstand getting wet nowadays just don't powerwash things very hard and it will be ok. After that, spray on some degreaser or all purpose cleaner. Spray it liberally and everywhere. Next take a flagged tip brissle brush and scrub everything down to loosen the dirt and grease. Then rinse away any cleaner and dirt. You will want to dry the engine down after so that you do not leave water spots on the plastic. Then if you like you can apply a dressing to the plastics or rubber parts. Many options for dressings. Really shiny greasy ones or you can go for the light sheen. It's up to you. Let me know if you need any more tips.
So spraying the engine bay with water is ok? I have always worried about this. I just always wipe it down with a wet rag.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 01:46 PM   #6
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i and 2018 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
So spraying the engine bay with water is ok? I have always worried about this. I just always wipe it down with a wet rag.
Yup. My dealer does this from time to time. I only realized because they told me not to worry if I saw liquid dripping from under the engine. It's just that they gave it a quick spray and wipe.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 01:46 PM   #7
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by crono06
Quote:
Yup. My dealer does this from time to time. I only realized because they told me not to worry if I saw liquid dripping from under the engine. It's just that they gave it a quick spray and wipe.
Sweet

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 06:52 PM   #8
BGREWAL
Private
Rep

Thanks guys. Very helpfull
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 09:29 PM   #9
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGREWAL View Post
Thanks guys. Very helpfull
Whats up neighbor!! Haven't seen you around...keep an eye out for Melbourne Red 335i m-sport
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 11:26 PM   #10
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by crono06 View Post
I don't think the answer to this question is as simple as a yes, its ok, or no its not. i wouldn't just haphazardly just turn on the hose full blast and start shooting everywhere. you're just asking for trouble.

I'd like to know from an experienced person who's actually done it before (not 2nd hand info), which parts of the engine bay to either avoid getting wet or better yet, cover it up or bag it to prevent it from getting wet.

This is not just a case of being OCD, which 99% of forum members are here. We're talking about your $50k car not being able to start again. If i was going to play it safe, i would remove the battery terminal before i did it, then let the car dry completely before attempted to start the car again.

In addition, there's probably sensitive engine components i would cover up. Just off the top of my head, i would cover up the alternator, and any other exposed electrical connector that doesn't look like it would take water well.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 01:29 AM   #11
instalher
25cent millionaire
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m4 comp vert

Garage List
2020 bmw  [0.00]
  [9.00]
  [0.00]
  [9.50]
2018 bmw 230i xdrive  [8.50]
I did a lite rinse on the motor, washed with soap and foam sponge, dried it right away with a towel, let sit for an hr, and started, car ran like a ford for over an hr, after that,,, wont ever wash the engine again like that..
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2015, 06:49 PM   #12
BGREWAL
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexplode View Post
Whats up neighbor!! Haven't seen you around...keep an eye out for Melbourne Red 335i m-sport
Yea I will, haven't been in town for awhile or got a chance to drive the car so will keep an eye out
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 09:16 PM   #13
tnsguypat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I

Yea spraying the engine bay is fine. Just don't power wash the ecu cover. It is made to get wet. In the olden days the alternator was not protected so you had to be careful but you can spray it down as long as you are gentle with it. Also you don't have to worry about the battery because it is located in the trunk. I am a professional detailer and have done numerous cars with this technique. I also currently am a client adviser for BMW and know these cars very well. Just be gentle with the car and you will be fine. Like I said don't start putting the power washer on full blast and hold it right on the engine components. Spray it down from a distance with a good misting and do the rest with a soft bristled brush and some degreaser. Then rinse it down again and dry it off with a towel so you don't leave water spots.
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 06:17 AM   #14
OU812MACH-1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335I M-SPORT SEDAN

I have always used a 50/50 solution of simple green and as hot of water as you can stand in the bottle. Wear a glove if you have to. Start with cold engine. Let idle for about 5 min. and turn off. Spray the mixture every where except things like the alternator. Let sit for about 5 to 7 minutes. Rinse off with garden hose set on rain or flat spray...NO jet stream or excessive pressure. Start car shut hood and wash outside as usuall while letting car run for 10 to 15 min. Open hood wipe off any excessive water and don't forget to wipe the under side of the hood..

I have used this method for about 25 years. The simple green does not bother any aluminium, painted , powdered coated or rubber items....and hey its bio degradable so no worries where you do it.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 01:52 PM   #15
ewizzle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 45e & '22 JLU 4xe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGREWAL View Post
I've had my car for a while now (couple months) and was wondering how to maintain the engine. What should I be doing to keep the engine in good condition besides the basics such as servicing it, etc.
YouTube is your friend. I've liked AmmoNYC has a pretty good YouTube channel for detailing enthusiasts, and Larry is pretty good an explaining how to keep your car looking new and clean. Give his channel a look: specifically this one where he goes over engine detailing. It is a bit overboard, but you can tone it back once you know how a full engine detail looks like.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/V4ZHLRAX_tU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #16
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

I've been using Sonax Cold Engine cleaner to clean all the dust off, and after that's done I top it off with Sonax Engine lacquer. This lasts for a good 2 month period without needing work done on it again. You can see my results here at http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1068078. I've gotten better at doing it over time, as this was my first time.
      10-05-2015, 02:29 PM   #17
RedRaiderDavid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 35i X Drive M Sport

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812MACH-1 View Post
I have always used a 50/50 solution of simple green and as hot of water as you can stand in the bottle. Wear a glove if you have to. Start with cold engine. Let idle for about 5 min. and turn off. Spray the mixture every where except things like the alternator. Let sit for about 5 to 7 minutes. Rinse off with garden hose set on rain or flat spray...NO jet stream or excessive pressure. Start car shut hood and wash outside as usuall while letting car run for 10 to 15 min. Open hood wipe off any excessive water and don't forget to wipe the under side of the hood..

I have used this method for about 25 years. The simple green does not bother any aluminium, painted , powdered coated or rubber items....and hey its bio degradable so no worries where you do it.
+1 a little simple green from time to time. To me the key is to keep it clean and not wait until its filthy.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 03:07 PM   #18
stxf30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 335i MSport

Garage List
Double that a 50/50 simple green mix sprayed on and wiped off with a towel. Use a detailer brush for tight spots. Follow-up with CD2 engine detailer. It's a spray and forget type product you can get at most autoparts stores. I would NEVER recommend spraying down the engine bay with water.