F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 3000 miles with my F30, things I didn't like
GetBMWParts

12-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i modern line

3000 miles with my F30, things I didn't like

It is been couple months and I am at 3000 miles. I am really enjoying the car but when the initial WOW starts to disappear, I realized some minor missing things or invconveniences which are not expected in a $50k+ car IMO.

1. Idrive does not have a home screen. Glad I have the split secreen option but still it is not very convenient. The information on the left always looks like a menu. For example if you display On board computer, it has a reset button, or if you display entertainment details it has a back, forward, search etc buttons. It is not a clean way of displayin information. i would prefer a customizable or fixed home screen where it displays clock, on board computer and entertainment details. This is what a regular car with a dot matrix screen do but with I drive BMW can`t do.

2. Sport mode does not shift to 8th gear. I don`t see any logic here. i want a firm suspension, better steering and gas responses. In return while cruising at 80mph on CC, I spend extra dollars for gas. I put in manual mode and shift to 8 to overcome this but it is not the best solution.

3. Screen doesn`t have a night mode or I couldn`t find. Album cover pictures are very bright and disturb at night drivings.

4. Doors lock when you start driving, they should all unlock when drivers door opened. I got out go the rear door to tkae the kid out, ooops it is locked. I return the front door go in the car press the button, or touch to handle or take out the key.

5. Need to enable auto high beam everytime and it displays a green icon on dash. If I knew this I wouldn`t pay for it. It should be on/off unless you change again and it is for dark roads why would I need to see that green icon on a dark road. My 05 jeep has the same feature and impletemented in a much better way 7 years ago.

6. There is no good way to put my legs. Left one hits to handle if I keep my leg closer. If I put it on the foot rest it hits to door pocket. Right leg when I use CC, no place to put it. It hits to center console in anyway.

7. No next button on the steering wheel. To switch between radios or songs instead of pressing next. You need to roll and then click. 2 movements instead of one. Probably next button is the most used button on any car radio. Why would you make it two steps.

8. The instrument cluster are not lighted in day time. Wth the oyster ones, sometimes I need to turn the headlights manually to be able to see the gauges. Almost all the cars have lighted instrument clusters day/night. It should be lighted in white during the day.

Sorry for the long post but I wasn`t expecting this kind of things on BMW. All of the concern are adressed in the cars which costs much less.

Don`t get me wrong I still like to drive her and driving dynamics are amazing.
      12-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
rmnoonan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328I (July '12 ED)

I don't have time now but more than a couple of your issues are fixable or programmable...
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayir View Post
It is been couple months and I am at 3000 miles. I am really enjoying the car but when the initial WOW starts to disappear, I realized some minor missing things or invconveniences which are not expected in a $50k+ car IMO.

1. Idrive does not have a home screen. Glad I have the split secreen option but still it is not very convenient. The information on the left always looks like a menu. For example if you display On board computer, it has a reset button, or if you display entertainment details it has a back, forward, search etc buttons. It is not a clean way of displayin information. i would prefer a customizable or fixed home screen where it displays clock, on board computer and entertainment details. This is what a regular car with a dot matrix screen do but with I drive BMW can`t do.

2. Sport mode does not shift to 8th gear. I don`t see any logic here. i want a firm suspension, better steering and gas responses. In return while cruising at 80mph on CC, I spend extra dollars for gas. I put in manual mode and shift to 8 to overcome this but it is not the best solution.

3. Screen doesn`t have a night mode or I couldn`t find. Album cover pictures are very bright and disturb at night drivings.

4. Doors lock when you start driving, they should all unlock when drivers door opened. I got out go the rear door to tkae the kid out, ooops it is locked. I return the front door go in the car press the button, or touch to handle or take out the key.

5. Need to enable auto high beam everytime and it displays a green icon on dash. If I knew this I wouldn`t pay for it. It should be on/off unless you change again and it is for dark roads why would I need to see that green icon on a dark road. My 05 jeep has the same feature and impletemented in a much better way 7 years ago.

6. There is no good way to put my legs. Left one hits to handle if I keep my leg closer. If I put it on the foot rest it hits to door pocket. Right leg when I use CC, no place to put it. It hits to center console in anyway.

7. No next button on the steering wheel. To switch between radios or songs instead of pressing next. You need to roll and then click. 2 movements instead of one. Probably next button is the most used button on any car radio. Why would you make it two steps.

8. The instrument cluster are not lighted in day time. Wth the oyster ones, sometimes I need to turn the headlights manually to be able to see the gauges. Almost all the cars have lighted instrument clusters day/night. It should be lighted in white during the day.

Sorry for the long post but I wasn`t expecting this kind of things on BMW. All of the concern are adressed in the cars which costs much less.

Nothing really wrong then, just a few personal likes and dislikes.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
CE750Jockey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M240 'vert 6MT

Hayir, ya got any pics of your car with door open so we can see the Oyster against the Imperial Blue?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
2. Sport mode does not shift to 8th gear.
You just need to drive faster. The transmission will shift into eighth at around 100 MPH.

It is sport mode after all.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmnoonan View Post
I don't have time now but more than a couple of your issues are fixable or programmable...
1: agree
2: at least 7/8 are just overdrive gears, 6 may be as well (I'm not sure); so I guess - if it is the case that it doesn't go into 8th in Sport mode, haven't tested it - they figured you're likely to only want access to a limited amount of gears designed only to improve economy, while at the same time taking you further out of the power band, when wanting to drive 'sportily'
3: agree this would be nice if the full screen (not just map colours) changed with the ambient light conditions, no reason why they couldn't, as ambient light sensor(s) already there in the car
4: you can turn off the door locking at 10mph, and you can also set it to have all doors unlock when you unlock the car/driver's door; I think in iDrive
5: do you mean the High Beam Assistant? If so, the light for this (in the UK at least) is blue; I think it's a good idea that it shows you when the high beams are actually on, so you have final control as the driver, to override the system, and to know what it's doing, if you need to. Agree that, particularly if you regularly drive on dimly-lit or unlit roads, and considering the flexibility and intelligence of the system to basically be able to use it in all conditions, it would be nice to have it come in automatically without having to enable it all the time.
6: I usually have this problem in BMWs; seat position change can improve it, but not always.
7: Definitely agree with this one
8: Not noticed an issue with this personally, but if it's an issue for you then definitely it would be an improvement if they lit up in more conditions
      12-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

iDrive menu settings can fix almost all of your problems. Read the manual, please.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
755MSL
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

How about rattles in the cabin, dashboard, far right side etc. Any so far? Or is it mainly the stiff suspension line cars?
      12-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CE750Jockey View Post
Hayir, ya got any pics of your car with door open so we can see the Oyster against the Imperial Blue?
The car is very dirty now. There are some constructions around and the roads became mud. The car looks like brown instead of blue I will take a picture when I wash it.
      12-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #10
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW83 View Post

2: at least 7/8 are just overdrive gears, 6 may be as well (I'm not sure); so I guess - if it is the case that it doesn't go into 8th in Sport mode, haven't tested it - they figured you're likely to only want access to a limited amount of gears designed only to improve economy, while at the same time taking you further out of the power band, when wanting to drive 'sportily'
4: you can turn off the door locking at 10mph, and you can also set it to have all doors unlock when you unlock the car/driver's door; I think in iDrive
5: do you mean the High Beam Assistant? If so, the light for this (in the UK at least) is blue; I think it's a good idea that it shows you when the high beams are actually on, so you have final control as the driver, to override the system, and to know what it's doing, if you need to. Agree that, particularly if you regularly drive on dimly-lit or unlit roads, and considering the flexibility and intelligence of the system to basically be able to use it in all conditions, it would be nice to have it come in automatically without having to enable it all the time.
Thanks for the answers/comments.

2. When I look at the ratios of manual 6 and auto 8.
A8=M6
A7=M5
A6=M4
The extra 2 is not 7 and 8 really. They are in between 1 and 6.

In a manual you can do whatever you want. The auto can not read our mind and shift gears so there is a preset logic which tries to guess/estimate our demands. The tranny in sport mode does a pretty good job here, I feel like it reads my mind sometimes However, I think most manual drivers would put into 6th gear (which is equal to 8 in auto) while cruising on highway even if they are in sports mode.

4. It unlocks all the doors when I unlock drivers door via the key or comfort access. It only unlocks the driver door when I pull the interior door handle to go out.

5. It is called automatic high beams in US. Not sure if it is the same thing with High beams assist but guess it is. It turns on the high beams on a dark road automatically and turns of again if there is another car present. I am not talking about the high beam indicator. There is a green indicator with a high beam icon and letter A to show that I activated the auto high beams. The system works really great, it can be on all the time. For example there is an unlit road of half miles or so on my way to home. It comes on at that portion of the road but I have to activate it. It would be nice if I can have it on all the time.

Last edited by Hayir; 12-08-2012 at 10:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #11
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 755MSL View Post
How about rattles in the cabin, dashboard, far right side etc. Any so far? Or is it mainly the stiff suspension line cars?
Knock on the wood, I don`t have any rattles so far.
      12-09-2012, 12:58 AM   #12
Joshhleee
///M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 F30, '15 x5 5.0, '15 M4,M5

you can fix most of these in settings o.o
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
Runnin and Gunnin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i X Drive M-Sport

Wow.....
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #14
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

The two pull to unlock then open your door is the most annoying thing to me. Every new passenger has been confused by this as I don't think any other car forces you to pull the handle twice to get out. Very minor but still...

I wish there was a next button also on the wheel. If you're on ipod random, there is no way to get to the next (that I know of) other than hitting the button on the radio itself, scrolling down just gives you the next song in alphabetical order or in the playlist order. Then again, maybe I need to read the manual.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #15
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep

I read the whole manual page by page before during the two months I waited for my F30. I didn`t see a solution for these. Those who are telling they can be fixed with setting, could you please tell a solution for at least one of the items. I would be happy to try it.

I also noted these as minor things in my post. I just wanted to share and see if people are also think in the same way.
      12-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #16
Malthusian
Instructor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Hey, don't mean to hijack the post here, I'm from the 1Addicts side... anyway I had a chance to drive a 2013 3 series over the weekend while my 135i was in for service. I was considering the F30 as my next car, so this was a good chance for me to check it out.

2. the 8-speed auto is a gem, but I agree completely that it should not block out 8th in Sport mode. I believe the Sport+ option (is that on the adaptive suspension?) lets you modify some of the sport settings, like the eco pro ones, not sure; I too would want the enhanced throttle response and tighter steering, but would like to retain the highway economy. Guess I'll just stick with a manual :-)

One other tidbit to add, and yeah it's just a preference thing, but I wonder why BMW moved the volume controls from the left to the right side of the steering wheel? In my One I often find myself steering with my left hand while my right is on the iDrive controller or the gearshift and I'm able to control the volume with my left........
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #17
bmbarclay
Current M3 Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E90 M3

Ill say something about every one of your complaints.
1. the "menu" button takes you to the home screen. Also, if you hit the option key while in music or nav or whatever, you can edit the split screen content to map or entertainment details or whatever you want.
2. it will shift to 8th gear if you are going fast enough or if in auto/no sport mode. As for the suspension and gas responses, you bought the modern line in a 328i. IF you had bought the SPort line, you would have received a better suspension, also, if you had bought the 335, it would have solved your response issues. BMW steering on the new F30s is electronic like the F10 5-series so its very light. If you put your car in sport plus mode, the steering gets heavier. As for gas mileage, put it in eco pro mode.
3. Night mode? You can turn down the brightness of the idrive in settings. IF you have navigation, there is also a "night" mode available for map view.
4.You can change settings to keep the car from locking the doors automatically. Next, for the unlocking, get your car coded. I have mine coded so that when i hold down the start/stop button, it ejects my key for me and unlocks all doors. BMW makes their car best for the driver, ergo, "The Ultimate Driving Machine" Don't expect them to unlock all your doors since its pointless if you're alone.
5. I suppose you are talking about the auto high beam feature. Im not exactly familiar with this feature but it seems that this, again is something you can change in the settings.
6. Move your chair back and give yourself some space.
7. I know for a fact that there is an up/down button of your steering wheel. Try that.
8. Turn your headlights to auto, once you get into a dark area, your lights and instrument cluster will light up. Why do you need to have it on in the day time? I can see just fine in the day time.
Is this your first BMW? This is much more different and complex than a jeep. Take some time to learn about your car, read a the manual, spend some time reading various topics on the forums here. Most importantly, enjoy your car! We here on the forums are here to help you with anything you need. Trust me, there is a reason why the 3-series has been one of Car and Driver's favorite cars for nearly 30 years.
      12-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #18
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malthusian View Post
I agree completely that it should not block out 8th in Sport mode.
It does not lock out eighth gear. Just speed up and it will shift.

No, grandma is unlikely to see seventh or eighth gear in sport mode. The rest of us can count on 75+ Mph for seven; 100 MPH, eight. Put it in manual mode and shift up early if this is of concern.

The two pull to open the door is inane, but tradition. Push the unlock button first if it bothers you.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #19
bthuss
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i - Alpine White

so im looking at a 335xi and did a couple of test drives and noticed this double door pull to get out even after the engine is turned off. from reading around on here (and the above posts), is it correct is assuming that you cannot configure the door locks in such a way as to have them unlock when the car is turned off so that you dont have to pull twice?

also, along the same lines, do you have to push the start button twice to fully turn off the car? it seemed like i had to do this after the test drives but i dont know if i was doing something in the wrong order.

i am coming from an infiniti where the auto locks will unlock when the engine is turned off. it can be configured to unlock only driver or all. likewise on entry i can be configured to unlock driver or all when pushing unlock on the fob or infiniti's comfort access keyless button on the driver door.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #20
ilhan1103
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30 318 2012

Garage List
2012 318D  [0.00]
Quote:

1. No argument there, it sucks.
2. Can't comment (real men drive manuals :P)
3. There is a night mode, but if i'm not mistaken this is only for the navi?
4. With coding you can make it so that all doors unlock when you push the engine off button. Locking/unlocking all at once is an idrive setting however.
5. Can't comment, I am a cheap bastard and I didn't get that option
6. I agree completely it is annoying to the point that my right leg hurts after 2hour+ drive. I did trips of 3000 km in one go on my e90 and this was never an issue.
7. Agree again, pointless to remove that next option
8. If you enable the DRL is the cluster not lighted then during the day? I disabled DRL a while ago so I can't say for sure, but this might be of help for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #21
mjmonjure
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 755MSL View Post
Maybe check that the rattle on the far right side is not the cup holder lid lying in the glove box. They put a special elastic net in the glove box for just that reason.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #22
mjmonjure
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

I have a #9

Why is it that you have to re-run BMW connect plugin every time you put your iPhone in the snap in adaptor. It's running on the iPhone in the background unless it's been intentionally closed or the phone is powered off. Kind a pain to keep having to re-run the app and plugin just to access iPhone music functionality, especially since you can access it via the CD/Multimedia USB or Bluetooth connection.
Appreciate 0