F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Media Packs on a 335d
Extreme Powerhouse

12-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
vikz55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i M-Sport Convertible

Media Packs on a 335d

Hi all,

I'm in the process of buying a 335d

I don't really use sat nav, but the dealer is saying for the spec of car, the resale value will be affected if I don't get the Prof Media pack, which is an extra £2k. His rationale is that buyers would expect a high spec car to have it which makes sense. Having said that, I'm sure it won't drop the resale value by £2k in a 4 year old car!

Anybody have any reviews of the Prof Media pack? Is is any good?
Will the Business pack suffice? Or do I "need" to shell out for Prof Media?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
JohnM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport PPK

search is you friend
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
alibonyad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335D xDrive ordered

I had a similar dilemma when I bought my 335. I originally ordered it with business nav then got rid of media all together and got other options instead. I'm no expert in any of this but, 2k is a lot of money especially when on a day to day basis you'll never use it. The basic iDrive system will be more than enough for an every day user. All depends on your circumstances but baring in mind Google Maps on iphone is more up to date, more accurate and just generally better than any other system, I really can't see the need for in built sat nav. Unless you use it everyday in the car.

Just my personal opinion. You can buy the professional nav system off eBay in good condition for £500-700 including the GPS aerial. That's if you get desperate and regret not speccing it.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920546
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Personally, I think anyone looking at a 335 or perhaps even any 6-cylinder car would be mad not to spec the Prof nav pack. If you're buying with a view to exchanging in a few years and sticking with GFV then there is no risk.

But if you try to sell a car privately, of that level without Prof nav then i think you will struggle, without having to lower the price somewhat, as there will always be a lot of car available with that specced that you need to compete with.

As mentioned elsewhere, it's not just a Nav system.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Personally, I think anyone looking at a 335 or perhaps even any 6-cylinder car would be mad not to spec the Prof nav pack. If you're buying with a view to exchanging in a few years and sticking with GFV then there is no risk.

But if you try to sell a car privately, of that level without Prof nav then i think you will struggle, without having to lower the price somewhat, as there will always be a lot of car available with that specced that you need to compete with.

+1 on all above.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
Bens3T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d on order for March

Quote:

Totally agree..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
nordberg
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

True dat...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
JohnM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport PPK

Quote:

+ 1
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

+1
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #11
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

I'm starting to see a theme here....
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #12
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Ain't dat da truth!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #13
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:

I completely ignored it on my 330d. Though, I only use Nav maybe 10 times a year. However, I drive country roads I know at night often. So, I saved £2000 on pro-media. For similar money, I bought the visibility package, adaptive suspension, a stereo upgrade and the Bluetooth/iDevice connectivity upgrade. If you get Enhanced Bluetooth you get the coms box from pro-media.

I went for driveing pleasure over the geekdom of what is a hugely impressive media system. Strange that, as I'm a huge geek!

I plan to keep the car 5 years. So I doubt a map that far out of date will add any value. Apart from comedy! iOS TomTom comes with quarterly map updates for free and has done for me for about 5years.
      12-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #14
Redben
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d M Sport X drive (gone)

I'm hoping I haven't been a complete div but it appears the basic business isn't allowing me to connect my iPhone for music connectivity through the USB. Please tell me this is not the case!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #15
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redben View Post
I'm hoping I haven't been a complete div but it appears the basic business isn't allowing me to connect my iPhone for music connectivity through the USB. Please tell me this is not the case!
I think you need a 'Y cable' unless you have pro-media or Enhanced Bluetooth with USB (EBT). I've seen some mutterings of Business Plus possibly having it.

I went for EBT, I tried a non Nav car with my iPhone, no joy. Then I tried a business media car with no joy. What worked was a business media car with EBT. So, ordered a car with EBT with no Nav and crossed my fingers!

Last edited by Rich9600; 12-12-2013 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #16
Proftinkerpot
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport -Superman

Red Ben take a look at the BMW web configurator. Media pro is £2k but it adds around £800 to residuals. Also it includes black panel display which is an option if you dont have pro media. So in effect it halves the price of it.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #17
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
I think you need a 'Y cable' unless you have pro-media or Enhanced Bluetooth with USB (EBT). I've seen some mutterings of Business Plus possibly having it.

I went for EBT, I tried a non Nav car with my iPhone, no joy. Then I tried a business media car with no joy. What worked was a business media car with EBT. So, ordered a car with EBT with no Nav and crossed my fingers!
You get the combox if you have Pro Nav or Enhanced Bluetooth - so if you have either of these options you can just use the standard Apple/Phone Cable.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #18
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AY M4

If you ticked every single option on the list and left the pro sat nav box un-ticked, I would never buy that car! I think the first 2 'necessities' are Vis Pack & Pro Nav... Without, it's worthless.. I've bought and sold so many cars, usually all high specs and normally the specs do all the talks and sell the car, you just sit and watch the buyer admiring the car and the toys...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #19
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330D M-Sport Auto

Don't bother with Pro Nav. Use TomTom for the few times you need it.

It will affect the resale value, but not by anywhere near £2k.

Unfortunately everyone who has it will tell you to get it (since they rationalised it to themselves) and everyone who doesn't will tell you not to (for the same reasons).

Only solutions is do what's right for you for your reasons.

Last edited by steddyman; 12-12-2013 at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #20
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Imaginary M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWA View Post
If you ticked every single option on the list and left the pro sat nav box un-ticked, I would never buy that car! I think the first 2 'necessities' are Vis Pack & Pro Nav... Without, it's worthless.. I've bought and sold so many cars, usually all high specs and normally the specs do all the talks and sell the car, you just sit and watch the buyer admiring the car and the toys...
Exactly! The vote seems heavily stacked for

There's lots of variables to consider when it comes to how it will affect the value, how long you keep the car, which model it is etc...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #21
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

I've said it before as have many others, I would rarely use Pro Media for navigation, I could always use my iphone for that if I was really stuck.

Its the integrated media system and the extra features that it adds, so IMO I don't know why people keep referring to tom tom as Nav is free on many smartphones. I wouldn't want to use BT etc through a thing stuck to my windscreen either.

I had a loan e92 for 3 months whilst mine had problems with the paintwork (dealer caused it) and it didn't have Pro Media, the one time I needed Nav rather than use my Garmin I used an A-Z couldn't be bothered to find it, charge it, update it, stick it to the windscreen, etc

Again I got the Pro Media for these reasons (list from d4stringer)- nothing to do with Nav, and for me it wasn't 2k I wanted Black Panel so it was maybe 1K due to GFV increase...

OK maybe I will use Nav on some eurotrips at some point

1) Large wide screen display (with split screen option) improved Cabin look
2) 100GB Hard Drive (20GB for storing music, 60GB for Navigation, the rest for other functions).
3) Music Centre, improved music display, support search functions, podcasts, audiobooks and various music file types
4) BMW Widgets, for example you can display Weather Data in a splitscreen view with Navigation Map for example
7) Black Panel Display
8) BMW Apps (integration with Smartphone Apps, ie BMW ConnectedDrive, Facebook, Glympse, Web Radio, Web Podcasts etc..)
11) Enhanced BMW Online Interface (3G Cellular connection for faster download of BMW ConnectedDrive or Online Data)
13) DVD Drive
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #22
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzapb View Post
an A-Z
an A-Z, arrr yes, them were the days....

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0