F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Another interior wrap (DINOC CA-421)
proTUNING Freaks

06-12-2014, 12:39 PM   #1
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Another interior wrap (DINOC CA-421)

After receiving numerous samples from 3M and even ordering a large sheet of their new 1080 wrap I decided to stick with DINOC due to it providing the texture and depth I was after. I really liked being able to see the individual threads along with how it plays with lights at different angles. I also paid close attention to the direction of the fiber on the center i-drive panel and the main dash panel. I wanted them to line up. I didn't care too much about the cf direction on the door handles.

I am extremely impressed with the results. Installation took about 2.5 hours but I was slow and methodical. I think the most important tools are a sharp knife and a hair drier (heat gun not needed but could also be used). Installation was pretty easy with the DINOC as well. You heat it and it is super easy to work with. You can lift it and reapply over and over. Once you heat it and bend it around a corner it stays bent. Curves and contours were easily handled.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
DeeKay553.00
yoon_209352.00
BMWGirlFL6232.50
      06-12-2014, 01:23 PM   #2
MulattoMajor
Private
Rep
Drives: MG F30

Niiiice! I really want to do this. Did you use any particular tutorial videos to assist or just jumped right in?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #3
n55x3
Captain
Rep

I just jumped right in. I did take a small piece and put it on the center dash panel to practice my cuts. The nice thing about this stuff, and I'm assuming it's the same with the 3M 1080 line, is that you can put it on and pull it off over and over again without damaging the vinyl. I think patience is key. And if you mess up, you're only down maybe $30, plus if you don't like it tomorrow then you can pull it off in a few minutes.

I honestly kind of view this as a rough draft. I really like the OEM BMW CF trim kit but I'm also waiting for the M3 trim kit to become available as I like that carbon look as well. I figure I can take the CF interior for a test drive so to speak and live with it for a few months before I drop $800 on the real deal.

On a side note, the hardest part of this entire mod was getting the driver side door trim off. As it turns out there are 3 little metal clips per door trim. For some reason my driver sidedoor trim had those metal clips doubled up, one on top of the other. It was really bizzare. Took me forever to take the panel off then took many attemps of putting it back on before I noticed the issue. Once I removed the 3 extra clips it went on without issue. Guess it was a little easteregg fro mthe factory!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 02:29 PM   #4
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328ix

looks great!

2014 328ix EBII - Sport AT, Light Pkg, Blk Dakota, Moonroof, Navigation, Heated Seats, HK Audio, Driver Assist, Sport Pedals, Dinan Springs, Bilstein B8s, M-Performance BBK
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 08:13 PM   #5
iCeMaNxLb
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Mineral White 2016 Coupe

wicked sick!
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2014, 09:24 PM   #6
MulattoMajor
Private
Rep
Drives: MG F30

Where did you purchase the DINOC from?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 10:41 PM   #7
T.Maas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 328i xdrive

Garage List
Bought the same stuff on ebay for 6 bucks! Did my trim, I did a rough job but it'll do!

2011 135i DCT, 2011 128i 6MT, 2014 435i FBO, 2006 Z4 3.0Si 6MT, 2003 330ci 5MT, 1985 325E 5MT
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 12:35 AM   #8
lichenlt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

what's the difference between DINOC and the 3M 3D CF vinyl wrap?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 07:36 AM   #9
n55x3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulattoMajor View Post
Where did you purchase the DINOC from?
I got a 48" x 24" sheet of Black 3M DI-NOC Carbon Fiber DINOC Flex Wrap CA-421 from Amazon for about $40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lichenlt View Post
what's the difference between DINOC and the 3M 3D CF vinyl wrap?
Not 100% sure of the exact 3M 3D CF vinyl you are mentioning but I can comment on 3M DINOC vs 3M 1080 series (the newer stuff).

The DINOC at first feel is slightly more rigid feeling than the 3M 1080, with the 1080 series being more pliable. I have heard the 1080 is extremely easy to work with. After doing the interior using DINOC, I can say the DINOC was really easy too, probably couldn't get much easier.

The 1080 CF vinyl is quite a bit more shiny. Probably closer to CF with clearcoat on top. The DINOC looks more like a dry weave CF with the weaves being slightly larger on the DINOC and slightly more textured.

I think both the 1080 and the DINOC look good but the texture of the DINOC just won me over for now.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

looks good

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 05:28 PM   #11
DG20
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i

Nice install! Just wondering, did you cover the entire dash piece in the wrap then trim the bottom off to reveal the bottom portion of the trim (silver part)?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 06:53 AM   #12
n55x3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRbibo View Post
Nice install! Just wondering, did you cover the entire dash piece in the wrap then trim the bottom off to reveal the bottom portion of the trim (silver part)?
Thanks. That's exactly how I did it. I cut out a rectangle piece, paying close attention to the direction of the cf. I then stuck it on and applied some heat. The heat caused the vinyl to lay down on the low parts. I then ran a knife along the bottom edge. There is enough of a lip on the silver band that you can cut along. In a perfect world you'd remove that silver piece but unfortunately it's held on by about 10 plastic rivets.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #13
n55x3
Captain
Rep

Had this wrap on for about 90 days and I have to say it's the single element of the car that has gotten the most compliments by passengers. Almost everyone that get's in mentions how nice it looks (never once got a compliment on the burl walnut). And I have to agree, the looks still impress me but everything isn't all rosey.

I've noticed some slight wear and tear in the center piece just in front of the gear shifter. It is only noticeable when the light hits it at the right angle. No one other than me would probably notice it but none the less it's there unfortunately. It's from me lazily tossing in my work bag each morning. Again, it is barely noticeable but present.

On the bright side, another small sheet of dinoc can be had for about $10 bucks and this was the easiest panel to wrap. Probably a 15 minute job from start to finish. I'll see how it is 90 days from now and maybe I'll rewrap.

Also worth mentioning, never once have I though 'wow, I really wish I had the burl walnut trim back'. So no moder's remorse yet!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 11:15 AM   #14
Diesel power
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 Q8 E-Tron 24 M3 CX on order

I have the Burl Walnut (every F31 MSport on the East Coast did when I was buying), and I hate it. I think I will be doing this shortly because the Burl Walnut in an MSport with Coral Red seats doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Glad to hear people think it looks nice. I'm going to leave mine with the chrome showing like you did on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 10:38 PM   #15
ji99lypuff
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel power View Post
I have the Burl Walnut (every F31 MSport on the East Coast did when I was buying), and I hate it. I think I will be doing this shortly because the Burl Walnut in an MSport with Coral Red seats doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Glad to hear people think it looks nice. I'm going to leave mine with the chrome showing like you did on the dash.
seriously what kind of dealer orders m sport cars with the burlwood trim, its so ugly. I hate how my m sport has the boring wood trim. I may give this a try seeing how its relatively easy and cheap. To the Original poster, did you wrap the vinyl all the way around the trim pieces and cut from the back or did you apply right to the edge and just cut right at the edge? I hope you understand what im trying to say
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 11:21 PM   #16
dhurng
Rep
Drives: '19 i8

this is well done! i am going to wrap as well! just wondering tho how much do you think you need? im debating on getting 5 by 1 (ft).
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #17
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Omg that fitment looks OEM! Good job!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 07:25 AM   #18
n55x3
Captain
Rep

Thanks again guys.

For amount of material, I'd stick with the 48" x 24". Especially if it is the first time doing it. I actually cut 2 center dash pieces as I wasn't happy with the first results. With the 48x24 I had enough for 1 redo and still had a tiny bit over to mess around with on some other stuff.

Regarding the cuts, the hardest cut is the center dash piece. Especially if you want to keep the silver stripe running across the bottom. You need to find the sharpest knife you can get. There is just enough lip running along that bottom edge that you can glide the knife along, SLOWLY, and hopefully get a good cut. If you could take the silver strip off it would be a piece of cake. One tip, first place the vinyl and apply heat so you can get the material really soft then kind of run your fingernail down the silver strip and make a crease in the vinyl.

Second hardest cut was around the center dash HVAC vents. But this was slightly easier as you could run your knife in the little gap between the burl wood and the plastic trim.

All vinyl was applied using heat gun and wrapped behind the trim pieces and then cut from behind (other than the 2 areas I just mentioned above). This was there are no other visible cuts.

I think if you are patient, have super sharp knife and heat gun or hair drier it's nothing to be intimidated by. The nature of the material lets you place and replace over and over while trying to get it lines up.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #19
Jae@Smgcars.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

I tried this and failed miserably... lol
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 03:19 PM   #20
dhurng
Rep
Drives: '19 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
Thanks again guys.

For amount of material, I'd stick with the 48" x 24". Especially if it is the first time doing it. I actually cut 2 center dash pieces as I wasn't happy with the first results. With the 48x24 I had enough for 1 redo and still had a tiny bit over to mess around with on some other stuff.

Regarding the cuts, the hardest cut is the center dash piece. Especially if you want to keep the silver stripe running across the bottom. You need to find the sharpest knife you can get. There is just enough lip running along that bottom edge that you can glide the knife along, SLOWLY, and hopefully get a good cut. If you could take the silver strip off it would be a piece of cake. One tip, first place the vinyl and apply heat so you can get the material really soft then kind of run your fingernail down the silver strip and make a crease in the vinyl.

Second hardest cut was around the center dash HVAC vents. But this was slightly easier as you could run your knife in the little gap between the burl wood and the plastic trim.

All vinyl was applied using heat gun and wrapped behind the trim pieces and then cut from behind (other than the 2 areas I just mentioned above). This was there are no other visible cuts.

I think if you are patient, have super sharp knife and heat gun or hair drier it's nothing to be intimidated by. The nature of the material lets you place and replace over and over while trying to get it lines up.
wow yes thanks for the detailed tips, yah i was hoping the silver trim would remove easily so i can wrap in a different color, but if it stays as one piece firmly then i guess ill pass and go with performance :/
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 07:51 AM   #21
n55x3
Captain
Rep

Yeah, it's got like a dozen plastic rivets holding it on to the top trim piece. If I had an extra center piece I'd be tempted to deconstruct it. I think you could snap the plastic rivets off but it's a matter of figuring out how to reattach after you wrap it.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 08:18 PM   #22
ji99lypuff
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 328xi

Just started this mod today and only got to do the 4 handles before the sun went down. As OP has stated once the dinoc vinyl is heated it becomes very fluid and easy to work with. On my first handle i made the mistake of not using the hot hair cryer enough thinking it would damage the vinyl but it was not easy to work with and it didnt turn out as well as the last three door handles. The trick is to heat and stretch and fit flushly on the handle and repeat these steps while going down the length of the handle. I did have some trouble with the tips of the handle trim pieces where it was harder to tuck the vinyl is cleanly but i made due with the heating and stretching process and you cant even see it once the trim is connected back to the door handle itself. I hope the dash isnt too hard to take off, im not looking to break anything on my car! Hopefully ill get the rest of it done in the next couple days. Ill update with pics once im done, it looks amazing so far, much better than my wood.
Appreciate 0