F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > M-Sport Rear Bumper Retrofit
Extreme Powerhouse

03-22-2023, 01:45 AM   #1
tlorenz2014
Rep
Drives: F34

M-Sport Rear Bumper Retrofit

I’ve just ordered the LCI M-Sport rear bumper (8058724-10) with PDC sensors for my 2014 non m-sport F34.

I already have PDC sensors, so I’m hoping to just plug the new sensors in without any coding. However, what worries me is that the M-Sport side PDC sensors are lower than original, will this pose any problems, or do I need to do some coding?

Additionally, I was hoping to only change the bumper, but looking at realoem (my car versus m-sport) ir seems that some plastic guides are different:
  1. Reinforcement for bumper, rear lower: mine 51127293778 versus m-sport 51128057829
  2. Guides for bumper, side, left/right: mine 51127293775/51127293776 versus m-sport 51128057207/51128057208
Do I need to order the different plastic parts, or maybe I can just drill some additional holes or something in mine?

Has anybody else done a similar retrofit and have any more tips?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 03:25 PM   #2
Oksamit78
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39, F30 & F34

I've replaced the OEM stock M diffusor with aftermarket CF one and was facing the relocation of sensors... So, here is the story... The sensors in OEM M diffusor are actually painted dark grey color as the diffusor is not gloss black. However, all 4 sensors at the rear of GT are the same part number (if purchased not color matched to your car color). The corner ones that sit "lower" than the middle ones are actually directed up and not parallel to the ground to avoid "false positive" signal from the ground behind the car. BMW achieved that by having sensors locked in special shrouds/holders in those locations. I had to buy a full kit (51128073081) of holders for PDC sensors from BMW and it comes with 6 holders. There are two corner holders for M cars come pre-painted to match the grey color of M diffuser as they (holders) are visible after install. The non M cars have a different kit of holders.

If you plan to install OEM M diffusor, then purchase the two corner PDC sensors (66209321566) - they will come matching the grey color of the diffusor and you don't have to worry about painting them.

So, as for Item 5 - the plastic holder in the middle - It has to be different between non M cars and M cars - the M car diffuser is bolted to it. Naturally, the non M car has not diffuser to be bolted to it and the bottom of the bumper cover has a different shape.

Do not know why the side mounted holders (Item 7) are different.

PM me if you'd like some pics of M diffuser and sensors mounted in it.

Here how the custom painted aftermarket CF diffusor looks on M car. The corner PDCs and their holders are color matched also.
2017 F34 340i XDrive w/ M Sport Pack, Azure II /Black, B58B30M0, Dinan Stage 1
Appreciate 3
      03-22-2023, 04:21 PM   #3
tlorenz2014
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oksamit78 View Post
I've replaced the OEM stock M diffusor with aftermarket CF one and was facing the relocation of sensors... So, here is the story... The sensors in OEM M diffusor are actually painted dark grey color as the diffusor is not gloss black. However, all 4 sensors at the rear of GT are the same part number (if purchased not color matched to your car color). The corner ones that sit "lower" than the middle ones are actually directed up and not parallel to the ground to avoid "false positive" signal from the ground behind the car. BMW achieved that by having sensors locked in special shrouds/holders in those locations. I had to buy a full kit (51128073081) of holders for PDC sensors from BMW and it comes with 6 holders. There are two corner holders for M cars come pre-painted to match the grey color of M diffuser as they (holders) are visible after install. The non M cars have a different kit of holders.

If you plan to install OEM M diffusor, then purchase the two corner PDC sensors (66209321566) - they will come matching the grey color of the diffusor and you don't have to worry about painting them.

So, as for Item 5 - the plastic holder in the middle - It has to be different between non M cars and M cars - the M car diffuser is bolted to it. Naturally, the non M car has not diffuser to be bolted to it and the bottom of the bumper cover has a different shape.

Do not know why the side mounted holders (Item 7) are different.

PM me if you'd like some pics of M diffuser and sensors mounted in it.

Here how the custom painted aftermarket CF diffusor looks on M car. The corner PDCs and their holders are color matched also.
Huge thanks! Will buy the middle plastic holder for M-Sport then and investigate more about the side holders.

Regarding the PDC, I currently have non m bumper with the corner sensors mounted in a different place, fingers crossed the new ones being pointed up as you stated means that there is no different coding requirement between them.

Seems I’m following your upgrades from exhaust in the other thread to diffusers here haha.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 12:17 PM   #4
tlorenz2014
Rep

Started doing the retrofit and found out I need to change the rear side underbody panels to, because the rear side guides have holes in different locations

Trying to source them now as I have the car already half deconstructed

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Oksamit78271.50