F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Suggested upgrade for F30 HK with trunk sub?
Extreme Powerhouse

11-25-2022, 04:41 PM   #1
Danny__Boi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Question Suggested upgrade for F30 HK with trunk sub?

I’ve recently gotten the itch to upgrade my system as I‘m tired of the muddy sound from the stock HK system in my 2014 335. Are there any suggestions for improving audio quality in the F30 HK when I have a 12 inch trunk sub?

My first gripe was the lack of bass which I have fixed with a 12 inch sub in the trunk about a year ago. Now I was looking at the speaker upgrades for the muddiness and came across Bavsound. I figured I’d go to the internet to see if they were actually good instead of relying on their site reviews. I came across multiple forums about upgrades to HK system and Billfitz was in many of them and seems the most knowledgeable on this topic. It seems that his suggested upgrade is to get a separate amp and get some earthquakes under the seats but I figured with my trunk sub, that’s probably not the best move for me. He also talks about how the DSP is the real problem and I definitely see why but I was unable to find if he suggested an amp to upgrade to but maybe I’m not looking in the right places

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited by Danny__Boi; 11-25-2022 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2022, 10:09 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

A separate amp driving Earthquake underseat subs is the easiest way to good bass other than using a trunk sub, but if you have a trunk sub you don't need Earthquakes. The muddiness you're experiencing has nothing to do with the speakers, it's the result of not having a full function DSP. Fix that by replacing the H-K amp with a Match Up 10 DSP and the correct harness.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 11:15 PM   #3
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30

Hi bud, I will be putting up a for sale thread but I will be selling my Match Ten up Dsp amp with Helix sdmi 25 most converter that you will need to get it working.

It also comes with a helix controller so you can switch tunes on the go. 3 custom buttons. Let me know if interested
Appreciate 0