F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > My first ding...3 weeks of ownership!
Studio RSR

01-05-2015, 09:11 AM   #1
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

My first ding...3 weeks of ownership!

I was detailing my car yesterday for the first time since I received it 3 weeks ago and noticed a ding on my driver's side! I have no idea how it got there since everywhere I parked since getting it was next to planter or handicap spot where my driver's side is "protected".

In actuality, the ding is not bad at all and I only noticed it because I was applying a paint sealant which required me to look at the pain with a pretty flat light. Thinking about it more I think the ding was present on the car when I picked it up. It doesn't look like a typical door ding in that it has 2 vertical dimples about 1 inch apart with a very very slight crease between them.

Anyway, even though its not that bad my OCDness will definitely get the better of me. I will look to see if it can be fixed via paintless dent repair.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 09:33 AM   #2
Lost Horizon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435 MPPK+1970 XKE OTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
I was detailing my car yesterday for the first time since I received it 3 weeks ago and noticed a ding on my driver's side! I have no idea how it got there since everywhere I parked since getting it was next to planter or handicap spot where my driver's side is "protected".

In actuality, the ding is not bad at all and I only noticed it because I was applying a paint sealant which required me to look at the pain with a pretty flat light. Thinking about it more I think the ding was present on the car when I picked it up. It doesn't look like a typical door ding in that it has 2 vertical dimples about 1 inch apart with a very very slight crease between them.

Anyway, even though its not that bad my OCDness will definitely get the better of me. I will look to see if it can be fixed via paintless dent repair.
Patience... you should wait a bit and you will get a better deal on 3 dents for 1 visit.

Congratulations on the first ding! Now you can enjoy the car.
      01-05-2015, 09:57 AM   #3
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Big rock chip on the front bumper for me. Less than 1 month of ownership. I used to obsess over these things and spend so much time detailing the car. Now I just lease. It's so liberating.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 10:05 AM   #4
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Got my first ding on my rear quarter panel about 6 months in. Still pisses me off.

Here's a funny story. With my wife's E53 X5, we got a zillion dings. Had them pulled out several times. So we eventually swap the E53 for an E70 X5, and buy "ding insurance" for $300. Unlimited ding removal for 4 years / 50k. Sweet deal, right?

So for the past 4 years we park the X5 in any old spot. Close spots, tight spots, middle spots, next to beaters, next to trucks, next to minivans, next to SUVs. Not a single damned ding!

Meanwhile I carefully park my 335i in end spots, next to handicap spots, way out in deserted spots. I even scrape my wheels parking really really close to curbs to not be close to the car on the other side. I've been known to circle the parking lot twice looking for a good spot. And whammo, big ding after only 6 months! God hates me.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #5
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
Got my first ding on my rear quarter panel about 6 months in. Still pisses me off.

Here's a funny story. With my wife's E53 X5, we got a zillion dings. Had them pulled out several times. So we eventually swap the E53 for an E70 X5, and buy "ding insurance" for $300. Unlimited ding removal for 4 years / 50k. Sweet deal, right?

So for the past 4 years we park the X5 in any old spot. Close spots, tight spots, middle spots, next to beaters, next to trucks, next to minivans, next to SUVs. Not a single damned ding!

Meanwhile I carefully park my 335i in end spots, next to handicap spots, way out in deserted spots. I even scrape my wheels parking really really close to curbs to not be close to the car on the other side. I've been known to circle the parking lot twice looking for a good spot. And whammo, big ding after only 6 months! God hates me.
GREAT story!!!!

I wish BMW offered me ding insurance!

Same can be said of my 300K mile, beater car, a Toyota Solara. Its 12 years old, not a single ding! I park that thing in some tight places where I literally have to suck in my gut it get out.

God works in mysterious ways....

Last edited by tboooe; 01-05-2015 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 10:12 PM   #6
Shahdog
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i mSport Sedan E90 N55

Garage List
2011 335i  [8.66]
Sorry to hear about it

I hate imperfections

Im mr ocd

I can relate
Lux H8 , HID Fog lights 5k
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 10:34 PM   #7
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Sorry to hear!

...unfortunately, it was going to happen sooner or later
      01-05-2015, 10:43 PM   #8
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahdog View Post
Sorry to hear about it

I hate imperfections

Im mr ocd

I can relate
I couldnt take it any more so I got it fixed via paintless dent repair. It came out great! My tortured OCD mind can now reset easy again. If anyone needs a top notch repair in the OC let me know!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 10:47 PM   #9
Labeef
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320I Sport/Xenon

That sucks man. I hate dings. But at the moment I'm having issues with rock chips on the highway. For some reason I am getting pelted daily. My 6month old front end looks like its 3 to 4 year old car. I'm leasing so I will not be getting a clear bra, but still sucks to look at.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 10:03 AM   #10
eekthecat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboooe View Post

As for protecting your driver's side -- remember, every car has a driver, not every car has a passenger. If I have a choice, I typically park where the passenger side is "protected" by a wall/planter. (then again, you could argue that the passenger is more likely to be a careless kid)
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 10:15 AM   #11
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eekthecat View Post
As for protecting your driver's side -- remember, every car has a driver, not every car has a passenger. If I have a choice, I typically park where the passenger side is "protected" by a wall/planter. (then again, you could argue that the passenger is more likely to be a careless kid)
Its a no win situation man! The only way around this is to just be a douche and take up two spots! But then I run the risk of being keyed!
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2015, 10:32 AM   #12
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

PDR. It will be a cheap fix.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 10:36 AM   #13
glangford
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328d

I used to obssess over those those things. Not anymore. I'm fortunate to not have had a ding yet. One rock chip in the middle of the damn hood. I used Dr. Rockchip for that, but I guess my technique is not very good. I can get it colored correctly but it doesn't really fill in good. I've also hit the lawnmower in the garage and scraped my front bumper a wee bit. Not real noticeable as the the bumper is black plastic underneath black saffire mettalic. I'll buy the BMW paint pen to touch that up.

I don't worry about it too much. I park carefully, but if it happens it happens. I bought the car and plan on keeping it long term. When it's 10 years old if it still has a few dings but otherwise looks good, so be it. I spend more time worrying about keeping it mechanically in good shape than I do appearance shape.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 10:56 AM   #14
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
YUP..PDR yesterday. Good as new!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
I used to obssess over those those things. Not anymore. I'm fortunate to not have had a ding yet. One rock chip in the middle of the damn hood. I used Dr. Rockchip for that, but I guess my technique is not very good. I can get it colored correctly but it doesn't really fill in good. I've also hit the lawnmower in the garage and scraped my front bumper a wee bit. Not real noticeable as the the bumper is black plastic underneath black saffire mettalic. I'll buy the BMW paint pen to touch that up.

I don't worry about it too much. I park carefully, but if it happens it happens. I bought the car and plan on keeping it long term. When it's 10 years old if it still has a few dings but otherwise looks good, so be it. I spend more time worrying about keeping it mechanically in good shape than I do appearance shape.
I agree with you. I dont obsess over little things but if its something that is noticeable then I will fix it. Things like rock chips are unavoidable from just normal driving.

I will keep this car for a while too and eventually give to my kid. The more TLC I give it cosmetically and mechanically the more I will tend to want to keep it versus shelling out even more money and getting another car.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 10:57 AM   #15
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboooe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
YUP..PDR yesterday. Good as new!

Quote:

I agree with you. I dont obsess over little things but if its something that is noticeable then I will fix it. Things like rock chips are unavoidable from just normal driving.

I will keep this car for a while too and eventually give to my kid. The more TLC I give it cosmetically and mechanically the more I will tend to want to keep it versus shelling out even more money and getting another car.
Nice!

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 11:13 AM   #16
kent11202
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
I used to obssess over those those things. Not anymore. I'm fortunate to not have had a ding yet. One rock chip in the middle of the damn hood. I used Dr. Rockchip for that, but I guess my technique is not very good. I can get it colored correctly but it doesn't really fill in good.
FWIW - A tip for smaller chips when it comes to the "fill in" issue that I've found to work pretty well. Take automotive paint masking tape and tape off all but the chip itself - that way the paint will fill in the "hole" rather than having to "feather" it and creating more of a mess. It's not perfect but a lot better than trying to free hand a touch up. Oh, and it works better on white than any other color.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 10:20 PM   #17
NO_RETURN
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i M Sport MELBOURNE RED

IMHO Two great add ons when buying a BMW: key insurance $275 and ding insurance $475. I figured I was simply paying for the inevitable up front.
2001 323i
2008 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 06:44 AM   #18
glangford
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent11202 View Post
FWIW - A tip for smaller chips when it comes to the "fill in" issue that I've found to work pretty well. Take automotive paint masking tape and tape off all but the chip itself - that way the paint will fill in the "hole" rather than having to "feather" it and creating more of a mess. It's not perfect but a lot better than trying to free hand a touch up. Oh, and it works better on white than any other color.
Thanks,

I'll give it a try when the high for the day gets above freezing!
Appreciate 0