F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Production Problem: USB and Bluetooth
proTUNING Freaks

08-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #45
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

ask them to give you the $750 and to retrofit the phone system. my guess is that the cars are probably still prewired (since phone is standard, all cars are probably pre-wired as it's part of the main wiring system)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #46
RonSwanson
**Fortune Favors The Brave**
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Garage List
Dissappointing. My car was produced the last week of July and its a 328 so i guess its likely im affected. ill see what my dealer says when she emails me back.
      08-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #47
alterbrett
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive

I emailed my dealer about it and he said from everything he can see and tell it was produced correctly. He said when it comes in it will be thoroughly inspected. My gut tells me the VIN and the fact I have tech means my car is ok. It's suppose to be here in a matter of days so well find out. I can't say for sure what I'd do if it came in without it. If they could install it I would go that route. But it is appearing as though they can't do that. I can say with near certainty I would decline the car. I would try and see if they could do a dealer trade at first I suppose. I just pray that it has it. I'd being lying if the A5's sitting on the lot down the road hadn't crossed my mind in the event it came in without the options I ordered. I want the BMW but if it meant another eight week wait I might just give up. I've always had a soft spot for the A5. I pray it doesn't come to that though.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #48
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Dissappointing. My car was produced the last week of July and its a 328 so i guess its likely im affected. ill see what my dealer says when she emails me back.
what else did you get besides Msport/ EB and beige leatherette?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #49
RonSwanson
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci View Post
what else did you get besides Msport/ EB and beige leatherette?
Just the Lighting package and premium sound.
      08-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #50
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

awesome- I'll be curious to see how you like the leatherette- sorry to sort of thread jack op
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #51
RonSwanson
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Does anyone know how to find out what my production week was? My build finished July 31st.
      08-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #52
E34
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E34 535i

Quote:
Does anyone know how to find out what my production week was? My build finished July 31st.
If you have the VIN, enter its last 7 characters into this websites search.

http://www.bmwvin.com/
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #53
RonSwanson
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just talked to my dealer and i WAS affected. To me bluetooth and USB function is very important and they arent working with me much on any sort of discount. Might cancel my order and go with another dealership that will give me a better deal or a different car altogether. :/
      08-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #54
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Its good my 2013 328i built around July 5th has the blue tooth but I'm not so sure it's all that great as it disrupts Siri functions on my iPhone. On a side note my 2011 X3 35i was delivered with a broken communication box so I went without Bluetooth for many months.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #55
Turbo00
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Just talked to my dealer and i WAS affected. To me bluetooth and USB function is very important and they arent working with me much on any sort of discount. Might cancel my order and go with another dealership that will give me a better deal or a different car altogether. :/
Good luck. BMW are handling this very poorly; I've moved on, which is a shame as I liked the F30. I may keep an eye out for a CPO next summer.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #56
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i modern line

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. My car is built on the same week with yours. I just learnt that from CA that mine didn`t get affected. I had the tech package may be that`s teh reason.

If they are not helping you definitely go to another dealer, at least you kind of punish them with the lost profit from you.

And actually I am not surprised that how BMW NA is handling this issue. I wrote them a complaint about a dealer experience and they just said thank you.

In my opinion they should offer a discount or a loaner until the new car arrives. There is only a certain number of cars affected, it wouldn`t be a costly solution for BMW. However, they chose to pass all the loss to the customer.
      08-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #57
jwilly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: They're all white now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo00 View Post
Good luck. BMW are handling this very poorly; I've moved on, which is a shame as I liked the F30. I may keep an eye out for a CPO next summer.
Why give up if you like the F30 so much? Find another dealer who will work with you. Or pay the same price you were willing to pay two days ago.

Joel
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #58
Turbo00
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilly View Post
Why give up if you like the F30 so much? Find another dealer who will work with you. Or pay the same price you were willing to pay two days ago.

Joel
Pay the same price after waiting 8 weeks for a car that was produced with manufacturing errors? Then, wait another 8+ weeks and hope there isn't another issue? No, thank you; the treatment I've received from BMW has been very disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #59
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i modern line

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilly View Post

Joel
He waited ~8 weeks for nothing because of BMW. If it was me this is how I would feel:

Even if I buy it from another dealer BMW still gets the profit. And the most important thing is that I will loose faith in the brand I would know that in case of any problems BMW won`t help me at all even it is purely a problem because of them.
      08-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #60
RonSwanson
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Does this production error mean there is no physical USB port/connection whatsoever?

Would i still somehow be able to play music off my iPhone/USB thumb drive in regular high quality through the Harmon Kardon stereo?
      08-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #61
jwilly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: They're all white now.

We are talking about a car, right? A tool used to transport you from one place to another.

BMW muffed up the build of my car and many others. They offered financial compensation or to re-order. I went with re-order, even added M Sport and navigation.

Will BMW muff up this next order? Play the odds.

So I wait a little longer. Bummed? A little. Pissed? No. It's just a car.

Joel

btw, I DID struggle with the Estoril Blue color option, but stuck with white.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #62
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

Quote:
Pay the same price after waiting 8 weeks for a car that was produced with manufacturing errors? Then, wait another 8+ weeks and hope there isn't another issue? No, thank you; the treatment I've received from BMW has been very disappointing.
So what are you going to do now?

Another brand? Like Merc, Audi?
      08-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #63
Turbo00
Private
Rep

Maz -

Not sure, I'm interested in how the caddy ATS drives, if it's worth the hype, though I'm not a GM fan (coming from a long line of Saabs). May also take a look at a CPO B8 S4, though I'm wary of Audi reliability issues. My friend has had nothing but trouble with his Q7. I may just stick with my Viggen for another year and see what's out there next spring/summer.

Joel -

I understand, if I may sound like I'm overreacting, but to me a $45k car is a significant spend. I don't buy cars every 2-3 years, and I don't toss that kind of money around lightly. Making a commitment to make that kind of a purchase implies a degree of faith in the quality of the product and the service; BMW failed on both counts, so I'm taking my money elsewhere in response. I wish all of the happy F30 owners out there good luck - it's a great car that I'm sure they'll enjoy.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #64
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
UPDATE, dealer offered to match the $750, for a total $1500 off. I refused, as I use my phone frequently while driving for work, and wanted the USB connectivity etc. They offered to reorder a car, but would only knock $800 off our previous agreed upon price. I declined, asked for my deposit back, and left. Overall, disappointed in BMW for such a ridiculous manufacturing error, and disappointed with the dealer for losing a $45k sale over a matter of a few hundred dollars. I've written to BMW NA expressing my extreme displeasure, and will make a few phone calls in the coming days. Such a shame that I waited 6-7 weeks from order, through production, shipping...only 4 days from taking delivery and this happens. Incredibly disappointing.

I wish the rest of you affected by this the best; hopefully your respective dealers are able to work with you a bit more than mine.

Chris
I too would be po'd about this.
If my 335i comes in without BT, I will be reordering as I don't want a new 3 series without BT.

I feel your frustration, and BMW needs to do more than just the $750.
Question is, do what?
IMO, they need to give those affected the $750 credit towards a new order, and the new order the becomes a priority order so that it doesn't take any longer than 6-8 weeks.

At this point though, I don't think any new order will take longer than the usual 6-8 weeks.
My car started production around 7/16 and was completed on 7/25.
I'm expecting to pick it up on 8/24. Ship actually came in a day early.

What I don't get is your expectation. Yes, this SUCKS, to be sure.
But, it happens.
Yes, BMW should do more to help out, but, if it's only 2000 cars, they aren't going to be hurt by it.
They are offering a discount to those who want the money and no BT.
It might hurt their sales to try and sell new 3's with no standard BT, but then, it wasn't standard in a 3 series up until this past Feb. 2012.

Your dealer is willing to work with you by offering an additional $750 if you keep the car. So, you'll get $1500 off the price of that 3 series.
Now, I can definitely understand that the BT feature is important to you, and may be worth more than $1500 over the long term.
I get that.

You told your dealer you would like to reorder. Good call.
Even though non of this is your dealers fault, they are still willing to cut $800 off the price of a new order. So, you're going to get the exact same car for $800 less, and it will have BT and USB.
The drawback is that you'll have to wait about 8 weeks to get it.

The question I have is, other than the obvious wait time, what is wrong with what your dealer is trying to do for you?
Seems they are working with you, but you want more.
How much do you expect to be compensated? It's a BT hands free feature. We've had members keep cars that had the wrong transmission installed.
I'm not saying you should be expected to take the car, NOT AT ALL.
As I said, if my 3 doesn't have BT, then we'll have to do a reorder.
What I am saying is that your dealer is trying to work with you, and has offered a decent discount for a reorder, due to a problem they had nothing to do with.

I know you're angry, but you may want to reconsider your decision.
If this IS the car you want, then do what you need to to get it.
If you do, you'll be getting an additional discount on top of the deal you already struck.

If you don't have a vehicle to drive for the 8 weeks more of waiting, then that is another problem. Did you ask your dealer if he can give you a loaner for the duration of the wait period? Did you try and work that out, or just concentrate on discount?

Now, you don't get the car you really want, and you'll be waiting to get a CPO'd used model, instead of getting a brand new version of the car you want. Yes, you'll have to wait 8 weeks, but all of us who ordered have to as well. For those affected by this and want a reorder, yes it's yet another 8 weeks, and that sucks.
But again, if it's really the car you want, then do it, and take the discount.

You wrote that the dealer lost a sale over a few hundred dollars.
Yes, but you're losing out on a great automobile, the one you wanted, over a few hundred dollars as well. Is it really worth it?
The additional cost to you is the extra time you'll have to wait, if you have a car to drive in the meantime.

Of course it's your choice. I'm just trying to put some perspective as I'm not emotionally involved, at least not until my 3 gets here and doesn't have BT installed.
But as I said, if that does happen to my 335i, I will be reordering and asking BMWFS to extend my current 135i lease for another 8 weeks.

Happy trails to whichever route you take.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #65
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
According to your post on this, if you keep the current order, you'll get a $1500 discount, so not the same price.

And, if you reorder you'll get the same car for $800 less than what you agreed to pay in the first place.

Discount in either direction.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #66
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

VERY WELL SAID RPM90!

You used all the correct words and summarized the entire situation perfectly!

I would've reordered and included the M Sport Package, M Sport Brakes and the Adaptive M Suspension because of the extra $800 the dealer gave back...I love the 335i!!!