F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Misc Questions Before Pulling Trigger
Extreme Powerhouse

06-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
MalsBrownCoat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

Misc Questions Before Pulling Trigger

I've been an off & on lurker for several months before finally registering. Now I'm actually ready to pull the trigger on a 12 335i Sport (my first) from a local Phoenix dealer this week. Thanks to much lurking, I've been able to answer many of the questions that I had, but these few remain before I have my dealer write up the order;

1. MT vs AT
I've been driving MT for 10 years and I'm not sure if I'll enjoy the AT. I test drove the AT (w/paddles) and while it was nice, I found that I really missed the control that a MT provides. I understand the convenience/fuel efficiency factor, and I'm also trying to take resale value into consideration. I will be purchasing and I tend to keep my cars for at least 6 years. But in regards to the extra features, such as Eco and Sport, what might I be missing out on if I stick with MT? Anything else that I should be aware of? I know that a lot of the general consensus out there is biased on personal experiences, but I do enjoy hearing the thought process from others.

2. Tint
Living in AZ, tint is practically required. Most of the time we can get away with going pretty dark. I currently run 20%. I plan on having the windows tinted to at least that level, perhaps a little darker. Will the factory tint cause problems with an aftermarket job? I mean, the tint is produced within the glass, right? Is there any way to/should I ask for no tint from the factory?

3. Plate Bracket
I am also looking at doing ED. The company that I work for has clients in Germany and the opportunity to go over there will be very feasible. After all, if the flight and hotel is covered, why not?! Another facet of living in AZ, is that we do not require front plates. My concern is for the ability to order the car with no front plate bracket (and no holes for one). But, if I do ED, don't they have to affix a plate to the front; which means that they'd at very least, drill holes for the ED bracket? Is there a way to avoid this?

4. H&R vs Adaptive
I really like the lowered look achieved with the H&R springs. However, I was intending to purchase the Adaptive M-Sport Suspension. Will I lose out on the functionality of this package if I go with the aftermarket springs? What should I expect here?

5. Premium Sound vs Aftermarket
I have a relationship with an audio company here and we started talking shop about what they could do with this car. I've always been a big Fosgate fan, so that's likely the route I'd go. I'd probably put in a 3Sixty.3 to control the OEM system and upgrade the speakers (+12" sub for the trunk). My concern is that I really have yet to find many aftermarket setups online and it makes me wonder just how feasible this type of upgrade would be. Is there anything preventing the option, or do people usually just enjoy the stock systems?

I know, very remedial questions, but just some things that I have on my mind before pulling the trigger (I'm sure the dealer will be clueless, so I'd rather come to the community experts here).

= )

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

I only know the answer to question 2: No and No.

Question 5: I chose to just enjoy the BMW offered, upgraded audio system, and I'm quite satisfied with it. I'm not an audiophile. Maybe such folks would not be satisfied. I don't know if there's anything preventing you from replacing the stock audio system with an aftermarket product. Generally, with enough money, anything can be done in that regard. I would think, however, that you might lose some of the benefits of the integrated audio system.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
johnofcross
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Superman 2013 F30 335i M Sport

I'm actually curious as well, good questions!

I think the eco mode for MT provides suggestions for most economical shift points (only speculation). Thoughts on that?

For speakers, I've always thought that purchasing factory upgrades makes it harder to upgrade. So maybe ignore the upgrades for now and save on getting the aftermarket? Again, this is just speculation. I had a friend that worked on car audios, and he always dreaded working on factory upgraded systems.

I know I didn't answer these questions, but I'm very curious for the right answers!!

Last edited by johnofcross; 06-11-2012 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: addition
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
JustinTJ
I saw the light!
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY13 F30, MY02 E36/7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalsBrownCoat View Post
I've been an off & on lurker for several months before finally registering. Now I'm actually ready to pull the trigger on a 12 335i Sport (my first) from a local Phoenix dealer this week. Thanks to much lurking, I've been able to answer many of the questions that I had, but these few remain before I have my dealer write up the order;

1. MT vs AT
I've been driving MT for 10 years and I'm not sure if I'll enjoy the AT. I test drove the AT (w/paddles) and while it was nice, I found that I really missed the control that a MT provides. I understand the convenience/fuel efficiency factor, and I'm also trying to take resale value into consideration. I will be purchasing and I tend to keep my cars for at least 6 years. But in regards to the extra features, such as Eco and Sport, what might I be missing out on if I stick with MT? Anything else that I should be aware of? I know that a lot of the general consensus out there is biased on personal experiences, but I do enjoy hearing the thought process from others.

I went Sport Auto, manuals are cool but I'm over it. I feel the road and interact and have control and all that jazz enough without having to row gears.

2. Tint
Living in AZ, tint is practically required. Most of the time we can get away with going pretty dark. I currently run 20%. I plan on having the windows tinted to at least that level, perhaps a little darker. Will the factory tint cause problems with an aftermarket job? I mean, the tint is produced within the glass, right? Is there any way to/should I ask for no tint from the factory?

Florida, same thing. Hot but I have garage. Going mild with 35% all around. Maybe a 80% on the front. No idea about the factory tinting.

3. Plate Bracket
I am also looking at doing ED. The company that I work for has clients in Germany and the opportunity to go over there will be very feasible. After all, if the flight and hotel is covered, why not?! Another facet of living in AZ, is that we do not require front plates. My concern is for the ability to order the car with no front plate bracket (and no holes for one). But, if I do ED, don't they have to affix a plate to the front; which means that they'd at very least, drill holes for the ED bracket? Is there a way to avoid this?

The ED plates are put on with very strong double sided tape. No holes.

4. H&R vs Adaptive
I really like the lowered look achieved with the H&R springs. However, I was intending to purchase the Adaptive M-Sport Suspension. Will I lose out on the functionality of this package if I go with the aftermarket springs? What should I expect here?

If you plan on going aftermarket, I wouldn't bother with adaptive. I'm not a big modder, nor a trackstar. Just a guy who likes to drive faster than most while having control thru the twisties.

I have a relationship with an audio company here and we started talking shop about what they could do with this car. I've always been a big Fosgate fan, so that's likely the route I'd go. I'd probably put in a 3Sixty.3 to control the OEM system and upgrade the speakers (+12" sub for the trunk). My concern is that I really have yet to find many aftermarket setups online and it makes me wonder just how feasible this type of upgrade would be. Is there anything preventing the option, or do people usually just enjoy the stock systems?
Thanks in advance!

See #4 for my views on aftermarket. Went with HK, as I'm also not an audiophile. I just like to hear music and the speaker upgrade is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I have the adaptive M with H&R sports and it works perfect. I dont like how aftermarket sound system looks in a car. I think it destroys the flow of things. I would just get the HK system its not bad, I love it but i mostly listen to electronic music or no music when I want to enjoy driving
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
I have the adaptive M with H&R sports and it works perfect. I dont like how aftermarket sound system looks in a car. I think it destroys the flow of things. I would just get the HK system its not bad, I love it but i mostly listen to electronic music or no music when I want to enjoy driving

^ this!

I also have the HK system but cant comment on it coz my car is still being shipped!
      06-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Arrow

Quote:
Welcome,

just like for all of us, when buying our first BMW, we all want too do it the right way, getting the perfect one, the way we wanted..

and so i will try to help you make the wise/educated purchase.

Quote:
1. MT vs AT
If you are open to make the switch, do it, this is an awesome 8AT !
one of the best in the industry if not the ONE!
(Based on other people's feedback, i haven't actually tested one myself yet )

if you are somewhere near an unconditional MT driver, like myself,
making the switch will bore you the hell out of yourself!

I know i would regret so much the choice if i ever bought my F30 in 8AT.
(but that's only me...)

This is the last link i will concede to the car in terms of smart computing management...

Quote:
2. Tint
Yes Tint the car, but don't do it at the factory stealership... unless you have too much money to spare... just make sure you get it from a quality aftermarket... not those clowney bubble works...

Quote:
3. Plate Bracket
It's taped, so you drilled

Quote:
4. H&R vs Adaptive
you can have both, or so i heard

Quote:
Personally, i wouldn't bother with aftermarket sounds...
i got the HK premium, and i am satisfied with it... although i never really fully tested it...

If you are somewhat of a sound connaisseur, then you probably know what to modify, or which of your personal preference for aftermarket brand... in that case : just buy the basic and have it replaced...

so ultimately, this has to be your choice and based on your experience.

Quote:
I know, very remedial questions, but just some things that I have on my mind before pulling the trigger (I'm sure the dealer will be clueless, so I'd rather come to the community experts here).

= )

Thanks in advance!
In hoping you pull the trigger very soon... just make sure to post your car's combo here in the forum first and let people suggest or what not...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
1. MT vs AT
If you look at the number of used BMWs offered with manuals, it's pretty clear that most people buy them with automatics. On the other hand, someone who wants a manual will have to look long and hard for one, so a used BMW with a manual might command a slightly higher price. That said, why buy the car for the next person who's going to own it, buy what you want for you!

Quote:
2. Tint
Not an issue.

Quote:
3. Plate Bracket
I'm not sure how they're doing it for the F30, but in the past ED plates have been affixed with double-sided tape. Your car should be produced to US spec, which should mean that the ugly bumper wart will not be on the car. If you really want to know the answer to this, post your question in delivery forum here.

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnofcross View Post
I'm actually curious as well, good questions!

I think the eco mode for MT provides suggestions for most economical shift points (only speculation). Thoughts on that?

For speakers, I've always thought that purchasing factory upgrades makes it harder to upgrade. So maybe ignore the upgrades for now and save on getting the aftermarket? Again, this is just speculation. I had a friend that worked on car audios, and he always dreaded working on factory upgraded systems.

I know I didn't answer these questions, but I'm very curious for the right answers!!
Yes...

And in regards to the OP's, your, so called "extra features" link to the transmission, i feel it's more of a gimmick and make AT driver feels better "treated" and "listened to". The mode is nice for AT drivers, so they can direct the computer in what mood you are in, what style of driving you are up for... as opposed to having only one car/ style of transmission mapping.

From the MT driver's perspective, the ECO, Comfort, Sport (+) MODES do not change anything, except for throttle response...

By definition, as a MT driver, you have complete freedom as to when to change gears.

WEll before we go to the eternal MT/AT flame war... :

let me add this in defense of the AT driver, with or without flappy paddles, the AT allows for "manual" shift as well, and thus complete freedom to the driver as to when to change gears...

... and it is even more efficient that MT... Yes i agree with all that.

But, despite it all, i am still not ready to convert myself just yet...
I still love the use of my clutch... the one-two synchro !

AT is perfect for practically 95% of the population ....
... but here i am still standing in the remaining 5% in defense of the MT.

and i am going to hold a tight grip until the very end... if there ever be an ending.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #10
huskercubfan
STM TRPR
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i MW

Quote:
1. MT vs AT
I love my 8AT. That's all.

Quote:
2. Tint
My car did not have factory tint? Anyways, it will not mess with the aftermarket tint because as you said factory tint is within the glass I believe.

Quote:
3. Plate Bracket
Double stick tape for the ED plates however you will want to make sure to demand (or you won't take delivery of your car) that they do not drill holes at your receiving dealership.

Quote:
4. H&R vs Adaptive
Will I lose out on the functionality of this package if I go with the aftermarket springs?
Yes. You are wasting your money on the Adaptive suspension if you get springs. Either get the stock (whether regular or sport line) suspension and apply springs or get the Adaptive M.

Quote:
The stock system is quite good and I don't even have the premium sound. I would suggest that you invest in premium sound and tap in and apply a sub if you need more bass in the trunk. I think replacing the whole sound system will hurt resale value (or provide zero return at best) when you go to resell the car down the road.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
JustinTJ
I saw the light!
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY13 F30, MY02 E36/7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
I have the adaptive M with H&R sports and it works perfect.
Good to know!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #12
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskercubfan View Post
..... You are wasting your money on the Adaptive suspension if you get springs. Either get the stock (whether regular or sport line) suspension and apply springs or get the Adaptive M.
I don't think you understand what Adaptive M suspension does. Aftermarket springs like H&R only lower the car. Adaptive M also lowers the car (10mm) but it has electronically controlled dampers that adapt to the driving conditions.

Springs alone are not a replacement for Adaptive M.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #13
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
I don't think you understand what Adaptive M suspension does. Aftermarket springs like H&R only lower the car. Adaptive M also lowers the car (10mm) but it has electronically controlled dampers that adapt to the driving conditions.

Springs alone are not a replacement for Adaptive M.
Correct but I dont think the Adaptive M lowers the car since they are just dampers but they were designed for a lower spring setup. So it compliments the H&R sport.

After a couple weeks it seems as if they got firmer and made comfort mode more bearable than stock sport setup. Sport mode nice and firm.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #14
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 3.5d, Clownshoe, Tesla 3

Seems to me the resale value for M/T BMWs is higher in general. But I'm not sure if that extends to slightly-less sporting models.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 11:40 PM   #15
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconti View Post
Seems to me the resale value for M/T BMWs is higher in general. But I'm not sure if that extends to slightly-less sporting models.
I'm not sure why it seems that way to you. The fact is that between two otherwise identical cars, the one having AT will carry the higher used car value, in the wholesale and retail markets.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 11:45 PM   #16
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rconti View Post
I agree with you. At first all my friends said it makes no sense buy new go buy a used one. Then I searched and prices for a manual 335i was pretty close to a new one. See link for search results of a 2011 335i manual in all of USA. 2011 is pretty much 2 years old by next 3 weeks and older body style but look at the prices still!

edit: Just tested the link you have to hit search

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...lSearchRD.aspx
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 11:58 PM   #17
jon328i
Wheelmaster
United_States
Rep
Drives: F39, S209, VB-WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post

But, despite it all, i am still not ready to convert myself just yet...
I still love the use of my clutch... the one-two synchro !

AT is perfect for practically 95% of the population ....
... but here i am still standing in the remaining 5% in defense of the MT.
I agree! count me in on the remaining 5%!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #18
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon328i View Post
I agree! count me in on the remaining 5%!
5%ers unite! I'm in!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #19
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
LOL we are all 5%ers on this thread
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #20
Calmwinds
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Everywhere

no on a 12 MY. It's a few days away before you can order a '13. You might avoid all the problems with the 12 by getting a 13.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #21
MalsBrownCoat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

Fantastic replies, thank you everyone. Your insight is greatly appreciated.

#2 & 3 seem to be non issues.

For #4, I just wanted to make sure that if I go with the aftermarket springs (later) that it will not cause functionality problems with the adaptive suspension.

#5 is likely to be a matter of tastes (I've been an electronic music dj for 15 years, so some extra thump is a nice touch).

I suppose the real conundrum is in regard to #1. Which is also a matter of taste. The dealer that I went to only had one 335 sport, and it was an auto. I test drove it anyway, but I did ask him if he would call me when he gets a MT in so I can try it out. He said that would never happen and that they never stock manuals. Which to me, the result translated to; alright douchenozzle, if you're not even willing to work with me to help me decide what I want, then that's probably a sign that I should take my business elsewhere. You're not going to coerce me into a $50k purchase just because it's "all you have". That went right along with "What can I do to get you to take this red one home today?" Ummm...return it and order it in black?

For the record, I'm still on the fence. AT or MT. *sigh*

I think I need to find a dealer that has a MT and make my decision based on the experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #22
gerbs
woof
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
Quote:
a dealer that has a MT and make my decision
Probably won't happen, at least from what I've been seeing. No dealers around here have 6MT F30s, maybe/hopefully it's different where you're at. You might find a used 335i somewhere with 6MT, although it'd probably be an N54 (vs the F30's N55).

Also, if you are "on the fence" about 6MT, you should probably just go with the 8AT. From my point of view, a manual transmission is much more involving as a driver. If I personally had any doubts about it I'd steer clear (not saying you shouldn't put some thought into it, but it should be a fairly obvious choice IMO.)

2013 F13 ///M6 Sakhir Orange
2013 F30 335i Estoril Blue II
2008 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue
2007 E92 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0