F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Intake Worth It? Best Options?
proTUNING Freaks

06-01-2015, 06:32 PM   #1
thatryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Garage List
Intake Worth It? Best Options?

I have yet to look under my hood for mods...I know an intake is a relatively simple upgrade, wondering if it is actually worth buying.

2013 335i, with MPPK and M Performance Exhaust. I enjoy the sound of the exhaust, would an intake overwhelm that? I would not want something that bumps the car to annoying sound level, but enhances it.

Also concerned with more than aesthetic if possible, does it have ANY benefit, I know they are not technically "Cold Air Intakes" right? Is the current MPPK intake as restrictive as I have read?

I have looked at the Dinan and the AFE Momentum. Dinan I have read a lot of not great things about them lately, which sucks as I am considering their springs...

What the heck is this also lol

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...0L&&brandID=87

Thank you all!
      06-01-2015, 06:53 PM   #2
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatryan View Post
That would probably go here.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1131015
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 08:57 PM   #3
thatryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 N55
Quote:
That would probably go here.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1131015
Ah thanks now I see where it goes. After reading more I think it is best to stick with the MPPK intake.

Can you add a better filter into it?
      06-01-2015, 09:50 PM   #4
Vegetable
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 MT

Quote:
Ah thanks now I see where it goes. After reading more I think it is best to stick with the MPPK intake.

I would imagine any filter is better than the MPPK intake filter. I have an AFE open intake (dry) and love it.. It's a quality intake.. Not sure if the thing actually makes any more power than the MPPK air box, but it certainly sounds better.
      06-01-2015, 09:55 PM   #5
thatryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks. I have read the AFE (momentum) has fitment issues? Also that an aftermarket intake can counteract the MPPK?
      06-02-2015, 06:31 AM   #6
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep

Quote:

No reason you couldn't add a K&N filter to the OEM airbox. I'm sure many have.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 07:38 AM   #7
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 EBII F36 430d M Sport

+1, I'd consider an intake a good looking sound machine. I have yet to see a CAI for the F30 that is really a "cold air" intake compared to the stock part and I am not sure that a lower flow resistance has any measurable impact on our forced induction engines.

Without being fancy, a K&N filter will give you a bit more induction sound for a lot less $$ and -like intakes- no real power increase. Just take care of not oiling your MAF sensor.
      06-02-2015, 07:41 AM   #8
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 N55 View Post
I have one of these fitted - AFE ram air scoop - sits behind grille on LHS.
Picture of scoop fitted on an M235i from 2 addicts forum
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=266

I installed an MPPK airbox on my m135i but had a MAF issue. It was unrelated to MPPK airbox but as my car doesn't have MPPK ECU flash, I swapped back to original airbox, AFE dry drop-in filter and AFR ram air scoop. No issues with Jb4 stg2 and ~ 400bhp and 450lbft torque all at the crank.

Current '22 X3M LCI..

Last edited by Bee Pee; 06-02-2015 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 07:59 AM   #9
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
I have one of these fitted - AFE ram air scoop - sits behind grille on LHS.
Picture of scoop fitted on an M235i from 2 addicts forum
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=266

I installed an MPPK airbox on my m135i but had a MAF issue. It was unrelated to MPPK airbox but as my car doesn't have MPPK ECU flash, I swapped back to original airbox, AFE dry drop-in filter and AFR ram air scoop. No issues with Jb4 stg2 and ~ 400bhp and 450lbft torque all at the crank.

From your link it looks like there are some knock-offs of this scoop available on eBay. Might have to give that a try just because.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 12:05 PM   #10
thatryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
What is it about a KN filter that allows more sound? Would the AFE dry filter do the same?
      06-02-2015, 01:15 PM   #11
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

What's more important sound or performance?
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2015, 01:31 PM   #12
thatryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions
What's more important sound or performance?
Great question.

Performance in HP gains or MPG? I read that better air flow can help fuel economy?

HP gains would be negligible I know, sound is a byproduct bonus I think.
el_macc19.00
      06-02-2015, 07:27 PM   #13
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760li

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
I've been using the Afe closed box intake with their dry filter and have been very satisfied. sound is improved and I do feel a slight power bump in the mid to high revs vs the stock intake. it does boost a tad later but I think it performs great, especially paired with a piggyback tune. if you live in an area that has weather changes I'd recommend the closed box style to keep debris and road dust,salt etc from entering the engine bay. fitment is very good and takes all of 5 min to install.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2015, 07:46 PM   #14
thatryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerswld34 View Post
I've been using the Afe closed box intake with their dry filter and have been very satisfied. sound is improved and I do feel a slight power bump in the mid to high revs vs the stock intake. it does boost a tad later but I think it performs great, especially paired with a piggyback tune. if you live in an area that has weather changes I'd recommend the closed box style to keep debris and road dust,salt etc from entering the engine bay. fitment is very good and takes all of 5 min to install.
Thank you, yeah I was looking at the Momentum, http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...L&&brandID=136

That is a closed one yeah?

Do you have the MPPK as well?
      06-02-2015, 11:29 PM   #15
thatryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I kinda also want to get that scoop and paint it yellow to match my calipers... Lol would that be epic lame?
      06-03-2015, 03:25 AM   #16
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Great question.

Performance in HP gains or MPG? I read that better air flow can help fuel economy?

HP gains would be negligible I know, sound is a byproduct bonus I think.
I opted for AFE dry drop-in as MAF's can fail when covered with oil film from "wet" aftermarket filters ie K&N, BMC etc etc.

I have HFC DP and MPE and combo of real exhaust and ASR noise dominates inside the cabin so intake noise is minimal. Throttle response feels sharper compared to stock drop-in esp when running high boost maps via JB4.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 12:11 PM   #17
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760li

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerswld34 View Post
Thank you, yeah I was looking at the Momentum, http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...L&&brandID=136

That is a closed one yeah?

Do you have the MPPK as well?
yes the momentum is what I have. I don't have mppk but I do have a piggyback tune. from my experience the closed box muffles the intake sounds just enough to hear them but not be overbearing like the open design tends to be.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 12:12 PM   #18
thatryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks all. Wound up ordering the momentum from bavauto last night, dry version. As well as their "ram air" scoop, still thinking of painting the inside of it yellow...
      06-03-2015, 02:49 PM   #19
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
I have yet to look under my hood for mods...I know an intake is a relatively simple upgrade, wondering if it is actually worth buying.

2013 335i, with MPPK and M Performance Exhaust. I enjoy the sound of the exhaust, would an intake overwhelm that? I would not want something that bumps the car to annoying sound level, but enhances it.

Also concerned with more than aesthetic if possible, does it have ANY benefit, I know they are not technically "Cold Air Intakes" right? Is the current MPPK intake as restrictive as I have read?

I have looked at the Dinan and the AFE Momentum. Dinan I have read a lot of not great things about them lately, which sucks as I am considering their springs...

What the heck is this also lol

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...0L&&brandID=87

Thank you all!
An intake is an important part of modding if you are going to tune, etc. So its usually recommend to start. Look at the BMS intake. Its a pretty good setup.

The gains from any intake on stock boost levels will not be great and only really be seen at higher RPM.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 04:23 PM   #20
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Intakes are usually very poor "investments" for performance. If you have a full (as in turbo-back) exhaust, it might help a little, but at this point you've already flashed the ECU and are pushing the turbo a little further than it's factory limit. Most of the time any "gains" are marginal to non-existent, with some intakes giving you LESS HP than the stock.

Now, you go put a GT35 turbo on that thing and yes, you absolutely need a new intake with a pipe and filter, and big intercooler, and big charge line to the intake manifold. Turbo upgrades are usually where intakes start to become important. Then of course intercooler, injector ccs and fuel pump usually need upgrading too.

Lots of good articles on this around the net. $ to gain is very poor, especially because the only way to really know if it's going to help YOUR car is to get YOUR car on a dyno and compare it both ways.

Lets not forget, with JUST a tune you can increase HP, even if you already have a tune, you can often tweak the tune for a "little bit more", but you run into problems with turbo efficiency past a certain RPM usually before the intake limitation.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 05:55 PM   #21
thatryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yeah I realize intake in this scenario is not a power gainer, primary purpose I suppose is sound and more air for the engine