F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Parking Assistant - FAIL
ARMA SPEED

11-20-2012, 01:54 AM   #1
KeenDriver
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

Parking Assistant - FAIL

So today I was showing someone how the car parks itself in a HUGE spot. The spot was great opportunity since it was very wide and long and most any idiot could have parked in it. PA found the spot backed up and cut the first corner just fine but failed to cut the last turn and basically, before I could get my foot firmly on the break it backed into a post and two beam wooden fence that just sat on the other side of a ~6" wide curb.

Damage: (1) nice scrape on the corner of the pass rear bumper and also (2) a small scape on the lower corner of the taillight and (3) the corner of the body panel where the three meet. Looks like the bumper needs to be realigned (very slightly) and repainted.. The body panel is just the corner, but that needs to be painted too. Not sure how much it's going to be, but definitely at least $1300.

I only got this option for my girlfriend, figured $500 was a cheap option and could help her parallel park if needed while driving my car. I even tested it when I picked up the car at the dealer. Now it's going to cost me a bit more to repaint it and I don't think I could trust it enough to have my g/f use it.

Picked the car up 45 days ago with 3700 miles.
Moral of the story - Park the damn car yourself.

Anyone know a good body shop in the CA Tri-valley area?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 02:49 AM   #2
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

If you had hit the obstacles on the side then I would agree on blaming the PA, that would mean it failed to calculate the spot and distance to curb etc.. But you´re saying you hit them with your rear end, so the question is did you fail to stop as it would/should have indicated for you to do that on the screen? Didn´t the sensors warn you? If not, then you should have no problem getting it fixed on warranty. I guess they should be able to find some kind of error code for it.

I added PA for the exact same reason - my better half. The times I´ve tested it it´s been flawless *knock on wood*

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 03:07 AM   #3
KeenDriver
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

I took another look at the rear light and it looks like they may be a little crack inside corner too. Not too big of a deal. Paint is the main problem and more critical on the corner body panel even tho it is small and just paint.

No sensor warning. No gas. I just left off the break. I am thinking it was the type of fence but who knows. I'd be surprised if they would cover it. Don't know what next steps to take for that.. I had my camera with me and took pictures of both the car the position after I parked myself and the fence.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 03:39 AM   #4
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

"It" backed into something? Am I missing something here or does the car not do the steering and you do the pedals?
      11-20-2012, 07:07 AM   #5
Goody4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

If this didn't work properly, it might open BMW to lawsuits. If it happened as you say it did, you'll want to meet with a BMW field representative through your dealership.

I guarantee he'll want to know if this was an electronic/mechanical failure from the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #6
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Dayum. The only option I did not get! You work the pedals, and the car steers, correct?

I figure with the Driver Assistance Package (cameras), I should be OK for parallel parking. That rear camera is a life saver sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #7
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 BMW 335i M-Sport EB-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeenDriver View Post
I had my camera with me and took pictures of both the car the position after I parked myself and the fence.
Would you mind posting the pictures? It would be instructive to learn in what situations PA could fail (assuming there are no mechanical / electronic issues with your car.)
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #8
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Its ironic that you got the park assist so you wouldnt get curb rash, now this happens. I guess some technologies are just not ready for prime time yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #9
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Yeah pics would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Its ironic that you got the park assist so you wouldnt get curb rash, now this happens. I guess some technologies are just not ready for prime time yet.
This is not a new feature, VW for example has had it for years already.

| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #10
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
That rear camera is a life saver sometimes.
Or I suspect PDC would have been a solid tone.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #11
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

We need some confirmation and details from the OP before reaching any conclusions really. IF PA has really failed then it's a great concern to many of us. however, if (as it sounds) the damage is on the rear of the car then driver error has failed in this case.
      11-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #12
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
We need some confirmation and details from the OP before reaching any conclusions really. IF PA has really failed then it's a great concern to many of us. however, if (as it sounds) the damage is on the rear of the car then driver error has failed in this case.
Why is it a great concern? How many people here besides the OP even have this option?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #13
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Because 1 post on this forum is worth thousands out there on the street
      11-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #14
Goody4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Why is it a great concern? How many people here besides the OP even have this option?
A great concern for many of us...is what is written. I'm not sure why that isn't understood.

Who cares how many people have the option, it may be an issue for those with this feature somewhere down the line.

Are you going to skip describing your concerns about your car just because you and 2 other people bought an ActiveHybrid3?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #15
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody4 View Post
A great concern for many of us...is what is written. I'm not sure why that isn't understood.

Who cares how many people have the option, it may be an issue for those with this feature somewhere down the line.

Are you going to skip describing your concerns about your car just because you and 2 other people bought an ActiveHybrid3?
Bad example. This would be akin to non-AH3 owners getting concerned about an AH3-specific situation that may or not be related to driver error. Sure, it might be interesting for non-owners to read about, but would hardly qualify as a "great concern for many".

He shouldn't skip describing his concern. I think that is great, and what these forums are all about. I only took issue with the hyperbolic response by another poster that this was a "great concern" for "many" of us. There can't be more than a handful of people here that even have this feature, i.e. not "many".
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #16
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Pretty sure all of the nanny technologies shout a disclaimer at you at some point that basically says it's for sh*ts and giggles only to prevent any lawsuits.
      11-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #17
Goody4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Bad example. This would be akin to non-AH3 owners getting concerned about an AH3-specific situation that may or not be related to driver error. Sure, it might be interesting for non-owners to read about, but would hardly qualify as a "great concern".

He shouldn't skip describing his concern. I think that is great, and what these forums are all about. I only took issue with the hyperbolic response by another poster that this was a "great concern".
I guess it's no concern if you don't mind running into objects, possibly causing damage to your car (as with the OP) or another car, or--in the extreme--a person.

But, you don't know how many people have this option. In fact, some joker in this thread said it was only option he didn't put on his car. So, we could gather a large number of people didn't skip this option and have loaded up their car with features.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #18
Roki_014
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 M60

moral of the story should be , when buying a car you should not think about your girlfriend, you could have added 500 more and gotten the m exhaust
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #19
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Quote:
Bad example. This would be akin to non-AH3 owners getting concerned about an AH3-specific situation that may or not be related to driver error. Sure, it might be interesting for non-owners to read about, but would hardly qualify as a "great concern for many".

He shouldn't skip describing his concern. I think that is great, and what these forums are all about. I only took issue with the hyperbolic response by another poster that this was a "great concern" for "many" of us. There can't be more than a handful of people here that even have this feature, i.e. not "many".
You´re not contributing anything to this thread so why even post? He didn´t include YOU in the "many of us". I have the option and I bet MANY more than you think have it as well, so to us it IS of great concern.

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #20
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess it's no concern if you don't mind running into objects, possibly causing damage to your car (as with the OP) or another car, or--in the extreme--a person.
It still sounds like driver failure to me. The OP says he hit a fence. Page 137 of the owner's manual specifically mentions fences as beyond the limitations of the ultrasonic sensors.

Quote:
But, you don't know how many people have this option. In fact, some joker in this thread said it was only option he didn't put on his car. So, we could gather a large number of people didn't skip this option and have loaded up their car with features.
The joker who got every option except this one, was me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitoco View Post
You´re not contributing anything to this thread so why even post? He didn´t include YOU in the "many of us". I have the option and I bet MANY more than you think have it as well, so to us it IS of great concern.
Fair enough. I was just surprised at the hyperbole over what appears to be driver error.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #21
Jackson743
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport/EBII/ED 12/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Pretty sure all of the nanny technologies shout a disclaimer at you at some point that basically says it's for sh*ts and giggles only to prevent any lawsuits.
Bingo.

I guarantee there is no recourse. It's just parking assist, not parking guaranteed.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #22
Goody4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson743 View Post
Bingo.

I guarantee there is no recourse. It's just parking assist, not parking guaranteed.
So, it's just a carnival? "You pays your money, you takes your chances."? Hardly. Somewhere, somehow, this new car technology will be challenged in court for not doing what it was advertised to do, "lawyer screen" or not.
Appreciate 0