F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > HELP engine EXPLODED
GetBMWParts

07-12-2014, 06:19 AM   #23
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Something doesn't quite add up here.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 07:42 AM   #24
rustyminded
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

you must have opened map7 without dp or racegas maybe
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 07:42 AM   #25
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

In for the lulz.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 08:18 AM   #26
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Nothing here adds up thank you for participating
      07-12-2014, 08:21 AM   #27
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhercoso
I was driving home and then got a drive train malfunction warning on the car so I started to pull over to the side of the road. As I was pulling over there was a loud bang. Next thing I know it feels like I was dragging something SUPER heavy. Once I made it to the side of the road the car then completely shut off and died. I did have a jb4 on the car and before I took it to the dealer I had gotten it taken off. The only thing BMW told me was that the software was tampered with so they weren't going to cover the cost of the engine. Tried to get more info from BMW but they wouldn't tell me anything else.
Ok, so you have a JB4. Which one? I think based on your profile you have the N20 engine. So that leaves you with either the stage 1 only, or the map changeable stage 2. If you had stage 2 and you didn't uninstall or clear the codes before taking the JB4 off, I could see them finding out. Since your car seems to of died because the engine was being overworked and over heated, then they could prove you had a tune that did damage the parts that were broken. Now what I don't get is you telling us that they denied you and didn't give you a reason. See you said this was 25 grand. Unless your some rich kid that lives off of mommy and daddy or you have some ultimate money making job, 25k is a lot of money. The dealer would have sat you down and went over what was found and explain to you why your warranty was voided. They wouldn't just tell you no and make you leave. You have a legal right to that information. To my point of 25k being a lot. I know I personally would have been screaming and kicking until I got to the bottom of things. I wouldn't have left out of there without knowing ALL the facts so I could figure a legal way around it.

Now if you coded your car, that wouldn't have caused the engine to blow up (talking about coding it to close mirrors and such). So I wouldn't even worry about that. Plus you can deny it and say a guy at bmw did it for you.

What I would like to know honestly is the truth. If you really did blow the motor, what were you doing when it happened. What did BMW say the root cause was? Were you racing and using your paddle shifters to late at redline rpms?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 08:36 AM   #28
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Any of these systems can be detected by BMW, even if you remove teh units and clear error codes.

Your average BMW dealer tech cannot do it, but when there is a large claim like a entire engine BMW themselves take a data dump from the car and check all parameters.

They will then pick up parameters that have been exceeded by the aftermarket system.

I have seen this done on a couple cars over the years.
      07-12-2014, 09:40 AM   #29
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Any of these systems can be detected by BMW, even if you remove teh units and clear error codes.

Your average BMW dealer tech cannot do it, but when there is a large claim like a entire engine BMW themselves take a data dump from the car and check all parameters.

They will then pick up parameters that have been exceeded by the aftermarket system.

So even with a Bavarian Tech tool it would be detectable?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #30
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
So even with a Bavarian Tech tool it would be detectable?
Sounds more like they are looking at engine data over error (tuner) codes.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #31
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
Sounds more like they are looking at engine data over error (tuner) codes.
Correct
      07-12-2014, 02:53 PM   #32
BimmerBoomer
demoted
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi S5 Sportback

Come up to Canada and I'll treat you to a real burger rhercoso, and throw in the fries.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 03:23 PM   #33
bo0md0om
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwazy1 View Post
wow...

did you code your car? or were you just funning jb4?
i did have it coded by frogman. all codes were what BMW does themselves. none of the non supported retrofit ones that would have voided warranty
2014 BMW 328xi | Estoril Blue II | Msport | Premium/Tech/Sound/Lighting | M performance brakes | M performance exhaust | M performance Black Kidney Grilles| M performance front splitter |M performance trunk lid spoiler| BMW 361 rims | Carbon Fiber/Alcantara interior trim | Ingen short ram air intake | Sold
2011 E92 M3 | Jerez Black | Dinan Intake | MS Race X pipe | Eisenmann Race|
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 03:24 PM   #34
bo0md0om
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyminded View Post
you must have opened map7 without dp or racegas maybe
was only running map 2 so i can make proper use of my dp
2014 BMW 328xi | Estoril Blue II | Msport | Premium/Tech/Sound/Lighting | M performance brakes | M performance exhaust | M performance Black Kidney Grilles| M performance front splitter |M performance trunk lid spoiler| BMW 361 rims | Carbon Fiber/Alcantara interior trim | Ingen short ram air intake | Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 03:36 PM   #35
bo0md0om
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornwellatl
Quote:
I was driving home and then got a drive train malfunction warning on the car so I started to pull over to the side of the road. As I was pulling over there was a loud bang. Next thing I know it feels like I was dragging something SUPER heavy. Once I made it to the side of the road the car then completely shut off and died. I did have a jb4 on the car and before I took it to the dealer I had gotten it taken off. The only thing BMW told me was that the software was tampered with so they weren't going to cover the cost of the engine. Tried to get more info from BMW but they wouldn't tell me anything else.
Ok, so you have a JB4. Which one? I think based on your profile you have the N20 engine. So that leaves you with either the stage 1 only, or the map changeable stage 2. If you had stage 2 and you didn't uninstall or clear the codes before taking the JB4 off, I could see them finding out. Since your car seems to of died because the engine was being overworked and over heated, then they could prove you had a tune that did damage the parts that were broken. Now what I don't get is you telling us that they denied you and didn't give you a reason. See you said this was 25 grand. Unless your some rich kid that lives off of mommy and daddy or you have some ultimate money making job, 25k is a lot of money. The dealer would have sat you down and went over what was found and explain to you why your warranty was voided. They wouldn't just tell you no and make you leave. You have a legal right to that information. To my point of 25k being a lot. I know I personally would have been screaming and kicking until I got to the bottom of things. I wouldn't have left out of there without knowing ALL the facts so I could figure a legal way around it.

Now if you coded your car, that wouldn't have caused the engine to blow up (talking about coding it to close mirrors and such). So I wouldn't even worry about that. Plus you can deny it and say a guy at bmw did it for you.

What I would like to know honestly is the truth. If you really did blow the motor, what were you doing when it happened. What did BMW say the root cause was? Were you racing and using your paddle shifters to late at redline rpms?
From what my mechanic tells me I have the n26 motor and I was running map 2. Before I took it into the dealer I had gotten it removed and uninstalled.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 03:40 PM   #36
bo0md0om
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

they wouldn't tell me why other than the software looked like it was tampered with. The service manager didn't even know because they wouldn't tell him either.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 04:03 PM   #37
rustyminded
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhercoso View Post
was only running map 2 so i can make proper use of my dp
what fuel yiu were using ?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 04:16 PM   #38
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

they wouldn't tell me why other than the software looked like it was tampered with. The service manager didn't even know because they wouldn't tell him either.
What dealer? Because that is horseshit. The service advisor knows especially with a big thing like engine "exploding" and the fact that you haven't said what fuel, or what happened (rod through block for example) makes me think this is crap. No person just rolls over and accepts a "idk they don't tell me" explanation. I would call BMW NA and get then involved.

Instead of trolling us, why don't you either tell us the truth about what happened or give us details on exactly what they said went wrong. Engines don't just explode and drop and drag at cruise speeds. Piggyback or not.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #39
bo0md0om
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornwellatl View Post

I was driving 80-90 mph on the freeway in comfort mode (auto shifting) and when i got off the freeway I was driving 40 mph when it occurred.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 05:43 PM   #40
bo0md0om
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post

i believe thats what they did with my car but they wouldn't tell me exactly what the issue was. Even my service manager didn't know what was going on.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 05:44 PM   #41
bo0md0om
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBoomer View Post
Come up to Canada and I'll treat you to a real burger rhercoso, and throw in the fries.
definitely will have to be when i get the car fixed haha
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #42
bo0md0om
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyminded View Post
what fuel yiu were using ?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 06:08 PM   #43
bo0md0om
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
What dealer? Because that is horseshit. The service advisor knows especially with a big thing like engine "exploding" and the fact that you haven't said what fuel, or what happened (rod through block for example) makes me think this is crap. No person just rolls over and accepts a "idk they don't tell me" explanation. I would call BMW NA and get then involved.

Instead of trolling us, why don't you either tell us the truth about what happened or give us details on exactly what they said went wrong. Engines don't just explode and drop and drag at cruise speeds. Piggyback or not.
Its entirely up to you whether or not you want to believe this or not. I sat with the service advisor and the only notes on car show that the software had been tampered with. I had taken it to a mechanic before I towed it back from the dealer and they say it looks like one of the rods (i think #9) came loose and smashed my oil pump down and resulted in my oil pan breaking.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 09:01 PM   #44
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhercoso View Post
i did have it coded by frogman. all codes were what BMW does themselves. none of the non supported retrofit ones that would have voided warranty
I'd guess they found some sign of modification on the car, a loose bolt from the intake, the coding, evidence exhaust was changed, or something along those lines. Still they should cover a thrown rod. It's not like tuning is going to cause that. You'd have to fight with them over what caused the rod failure. Are you sure you didn't over-rev the motor somehow?

Mike
Appreciate 0