F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Sport Auto Box question
GetBMWParts

11-21-2016, 07:24 AM   #1
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Sport Auto Box question

I know this has been discussed before but could anyone just clear up one point for me. Most people agree that the sport auto is 'tuned' differently to the standard auto box for faster shifting. Now here's the question... are we talking faster shifting when in fully auto mode (ie gears are held slightly longer so shifts are made at higher RPM for better acceleration) or is there also a difference when in 'manual' mode? Having always driven manual cars I really fancy a change but I absolutely hate paddle shifters on the steering wheel, just personal preference but I don't like 'em that's all. Because I enjoy changing gears I would use it in 'manual' mode most of the time, as it would be really nice to change gears myself without the laborious clutchwork (not a huge fan of BMW MT/clutches anyway) So does anyone think the 'manual' gear change using the central shifter would be in any way slower without the sport auto option, or do you think it's just the paddles that maybe give quicker shifts?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 07:33 AM   #2
KGB_123_99
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 330ix M-Sport, '09 528ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozydog View Post
I know this has been discussed before but could anyone just clear up one point for me. Most people agree that the sport auto is 'tuned' differently to the standard auto box for faster shifting. Now here's the question... are we talking faster shifting when in fully auto mode (ie gears are held slightly longer so shifts are made at higher RPM for better acceleration) or is there also a difference when in 'manual' mode? Having always driven manual cars I really fancy a change but I absolutely hate paddle shifters on the steering wheel, just personal preference but I don't like 'em that's all. Because I enjoy changing gears I would use it in 'manual' mode most of the time, as it would be really nice to change gears myself without the laborious clutchwork (not a huge fan of BMW MT/clutches anyway) So does anyone think the 'manual' gear change using the central shifter would be in any way slower without the sport auto option, or do you think it's just the paddles that maybe give quicker shifts?
The sport box changes gears faster (going up or down a gear). The response is more immediate compared to non-sport auto box. The mapping of when gears change is also different. Don't pay for it if it's not standard, it is easy to code.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 08:06 AM   #3
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB_123_99 View Post
The sport box changes gears faster (going up or down a gear). The response is more immediate compared to non-sport auto box. The mapping of when gears change is also different. Don't pay for it if it's not standard, it is easy to code.
Except then you don't get the shift paddles on the steering wheel...which are not exactly easy nor inexpensive to retrofit.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 08:09 AM   #4
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Quote:
Thanks for that, so just to clarify (not being particularly technically minded) Auto mode: Gears will change at a different RPM to the standard box
Manual mode: When I hit the shifter, the changes will happen more immediately!

Maybe I should just accept the paddles then as the price difference over here is only £140 !!

I still don't understand why (if it's simply software tuning) BMW would give the standard auto box a 'slower' gear change!!

Last edited by nozydog; 11-21-2016 at 08:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 08:26 AM   #5
KGB_123_99
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 330ix M-Sport, '09 528ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozydog View Post
Quote:
Thanks for that, so just to clarify (not being particularly technically minded) Auto mode: Gears will change at a different RPM to the standard box
Manual mode: When I hit the shifter, the changes will happen more immediately!

Maybe I should just accept the paddles then as the price difference over here is only £140 !!

I still don't understand why (if it's simply software tuning) BMW would give the standard auto box a 'slower' gear change!!
For that price I would certainly get it as the paddle shifters improve the aesthetics of the cabin. When I was getting my car the sports auto was way more expensive. For your price, it's a no brainer
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 08:47 AM   #6
f30m
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

The sport auto box in my 340 shifts very noticeably faster that the standard box in my 328. When I'm in sport mode and shift manually, the shifts are much harder. Even during normal driving I've noticed that the shifts seem more like a dual clutch than a torque converter auto. I think they tuned it specifically to have less "slip" in the torque converter during shifts.