F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F15 Ceramic Gear Shift Retrofit in F30 Ripped Cable AND F30 Upgrade Automatic Gear
Studio RSR

02-14-2023, 06:09 PM   #1
haarreh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

F15 Ceramic Gear Shift Retrofit in F30 Ripped Cable AND F30 Upgrade Automatic Gear

So I made a couple of whoopsies…

I know I am not the first person to try this (I have seen other people’s finished results), but there is definitely no information on how anyone has done this.

Here is an example of what I am attempting to do:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1472362

So, I saw Ceramic and fell in love. I asked a couple of people and read forums, and the gear shifters are mostly plug-and-play. (There ARE exceptions!! like the ball-shaped Shift Knob style one)

I am retrofitting the iDrive 6 Headunit, and a 2018 X6 had several parts including Ceramic iDrive Controller and the Gear Shifter (I did not want to attempt the Climate Control transition as I heard that one is so much more trouble 🥴&#129396.

I jumped on the GearShifter!! Thinking it would easilyyy fit my F30.

HOWEVER, I didn’t think twice about the trim styles being different from an F30 and F15!!

Here is an image that shows the difference in trim
(Left F30, Right F15)

Here are examples of what mine look like, side by side and attempting to retrofit in an F30
2013 328i xDrive LHD
(Left F15, Right F30 Pre LCI)

Now, from my understanding, Ceramic only exists in F15. If someone has more info on this, feel free to drop your knowledge

INSTRUCTIONS:
PART A
This applies to F30 Pre LCI 2013 (Old Gear Shift Style).

Pre-2013 People, You will be buying two shifters! One you are using in your F30 as the upgraded 2014+ SAT shifter, and another borrowing the plate from a Ceramic Shifter. I honestly got very confused doing the research on which cars actually come with the ceramic piece. From what I have seen, F30 doesn’t.
Old Gear Shifter Part Number Applies to:

DO NOT buy another gearshift of this style, and look at the pictures of the gearshift you plan to buy to ensure it’s the newer style.

Buy THIS Newer +2014 F30 LCI Shifter
Part # using RealOEM.com

(I would personally stick with one of these two numbers and not older than these).

If you have the older GearShift, you will need to buy a newer one. These are easy plug-and-play, as long as you buy an F30 Gear Shift. (Make sure it is F30 trim style!!)

The difference is in quality, size, leather vs plastic, look at the placement and size of the park button and switch button, and the clickiness of the shifter is more premium. There are several YouTube videos on this upgrade like this one:

You will need a trim removal Tool, T25, and maybe T20.
I ended up needed to go the extra steps in the second video as my vehicle didn’t have enough space to access the last screw.
This shows some more comparison pics of the Pre LCI 2013 gear shift vs Post LCI 2014+ gear shifts.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/2...trofit.660759/

PART B
Now, after you upgrade the shifter, you need to purchase a ceramic shifter or just the ceramic cover plate (search ceramic shifter on eBay or find the part number
PN 61319252141
but I guarantee you will pay more that way than finding the shifter).

Again, just watch out for how the ceramic wraps around the shifter and make sure it matches the new shifter you just installed.

To replace, you use a trim removal tool to lift the illuminating R - N - D plate (attached via adhesive) revealing a single T10 Screw Holding the Ceramic / Plastic to the Gear Shifts.

Super easy switch around!!

MY PROBLEMS
NOW, I did not follow this obvious process. As I was typing up my issue, I realized how easy it actually is!

And so what do I attempt to do 😃

I only have the older style shifter (Pre 2013+) and the Shifter for an F15 (not compatible with F30 trim).

I think to myself and decide: how about we take them both apart and switch the bases 🥴

So I go at it… trying to watch some videos on how to take apart a shifter… and I mean completely take it apart!!
Please don’t try this! Haha.

My first error was using these methods on the Ceramic X6 F15 Shifter… Remember how I said there is a single T10 holding the Ceramic to the shifter?? Well.. after watching the video, I thought the Ceramic needed to be pried off the Shifter… after a bit of pushing trim tools and credit cards into the gap, I recognized I was going nowhere. Then with horror, it also clicked that the R - N - D plate comes off, and I used the tool and *pop* it slid right off. I finally found the T10, unscrewed and removed the ceramic and saw I broke one of the anchors that slide the trim into the shifter. It’s okay though, my plan is to use some super glue to put it back together.

I keep going at it, taking the shifter apart piece by piece.

The hardest part, and the part I completely screw up with, is removing the leather piece from the metal pole… There is a ribbon cable connecting the electronics of main box to the buttons and illumination. First, the screw holding the plastic to the metal pole required a lot of force to remove. Then, the actual loosening of the leather from the pole requires force, but you can’t move it too much or you end up ripping the ribbon cable!!

This is what I ended up screwing up 😕

Now here is my actual question:
does anyone know where I can find this ribbon cable?

Now, one big difference between the F30 and F15 gear shifter main box is that the F15 is held down via screws. Meanwhile, I cannot figure out how to pull apart the clips of the F30 shifter! My second question is: Does anyone know how these loosen?

Finally, I am wondering if I fix this cable how I should continue. Is it actually possible to switch the bases of the F15 shifter with the older F30 style shifter?? Or is it more sensible to stop here, and pursue the steps for this retrofit I mentioned above?

If anyone actually reads this far, thank you!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 06:12 PM   #2
haarreh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

My Ribbon Cables didn’t attach, this is the piece I need help sourcing that ripped!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0