F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Installed donor vehicle's NBT but no sound
ARMA SPEED

07-18-2022, 12:02 AM   #45
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOCKER28 View Post
Steve can you explain how and what wires 1lyfe connected to bring sound back. I have changed amps had sound for one drive and none since. Same issue before amp replacement.
If you have a 428i, there wouldn't be any wire jumping involved since all 2014+ BMWs have the amp trigger wired already.

Your NBT is likely set to Hi-Fi and you're using Harman Kardon so the HU just need to be coded accordingly.

If you need help with that, just let us know.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs

Last edited by steve@codemybimmer; 07-18-2022 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 11:22 AM   #46
LOCKER28
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i Grand Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
If you have a 428i, there wouldn't be any wire jumping involved since all 2014+ BMWs have the amp trigger wired already.

Your NBT is likely set to Hi-Fi and you're using Harman Kardon so the HU just need to be coded accordingly.

If you need help with that, just let us know.
Yes Steve your help would be appreciated. A little background on issue: I bought the car from coworker because all sounds stopped working and BMW was quoting big $$$ to fix. I have had the car a couple months and the sound has worked twice. Once out of the blue and another when I changed the amp but stopped working after I cut car off and got back in. I even tried a donor HU and and reset it to the original VO. Everything seemed to be correct except no sound. I installed the original HU again. That's where I am now. I used Protool to code the donor unit.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 09:38 PM   #47
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes Steve your help would be appreciated. A little background on issue: I bought the car from coworker because all sounds stopped working and BMW was quoting big $$$ to fix. I have had the car a couple months and the sound has worked twice. Once out of the blue and another when I changed the amp but stopped working after I cut car off and got back in. I even tried a donor HU and and reset it to the original VO. Everything seemed to be correct except no sound. I installed the original HU again. That's where I am now. I used Protool to code the donor unit.
Can you tell me what kind of amp it has? Is it Harman Kardon or Hi-Fi?
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 09:47 PM   #48
LOCKER28
Rep

Quote:
Can you tell me what kind of amp it has? Is it Harman Kardon or Hi-Fi?
It’s a AMP_hifi-lr03_AS

Last edited by LOCKER28; 07-22-2022 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: Mispelling
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 10:34 PM   #49
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It’s a AMP_hifi-lr03_AS
If you already replaced the amp and the sound works when you put the original head unit back in, it could only be one of two things.

1) Head unit is not coded correctly as it may be set to Most / Harmon Kardon
2) Faulty DAC on donor head unit (This is what converts the digital signal to analog on the head unit itself)
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 11:00 PM   #50
LOCKER28
Rep

Quote:
If you already replaced the amp and the sound works when you put the original head unit back in, it could only be one of two things.

1) Head unit is not coded correctly as it may be set to Most / Harmon Kardon
2) Faulty DAC on donor head unit (This is what converts the digital signal to analog on the head unit itself)
Steve the full history on the issue is. The original HU would have sound occasionally with previous owner. Mostly after car Sat for a few days. When I purchased the car the original HU sound worked once. I switched amps and the sound came on for the first drive. When I got back in car no sound again.Then I changed the HU and VO it I imported the fsc codes but no sound. So I switched the HU back to original. Right now I have the original HU installed and second amp.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 10:47 PM   #51
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Steve the full history on the issue is. The original HU would have sound occasionally with previous owner. Mostly after car Sat for a few days. When I purchased the car the original HU sound worked once. I switched amps and the sound came on for the first drive. When I got back in car no sound again.Then I changed the HU and VO it I imported the fsc codes but no sound. So I switched the HU back to original. Right now I have the original HU installed and second amp.
It sounds like something is going on with the amp wiring or it's intermittently not getting power.

If you're seeing no sound on both head units even after switching out the amp, it's the only logical explanation.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 10:52 PM   #52
LOCKER28
Rep

Quote:
It sounds like something is going on with the amp wiring or it's intermittently not getting power.

If you're seeing no sound on both head units even after switching out the amp, it's the only logical explanation.
I assume that would be a wire chasing project or is there a way to test pins on amp plug. Or what do you think the best way to check the amp wiring.
Appreciate 0