F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > What are my prepaid phone options while doing European Delivery?
proTUNING Freaks

04-17-2018, 07:38 AM   #1
Kwando
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

What are my prepaid phone options while doing European Delivery?

Our European Delivery is in June and we're looking for options for a working phone with lots of data (1 to 2GB). My Canadian carrier is charging $10 per day to use my existing plan but I'm looking to see if there are better prepaid options. If anyone has any experience with the German carriers please let me know.

One thing I did read about is that prepaid SIMs will need to be activated with a Germany address, which I'm not quite sure how to get around yet aside from trying to use my hotel location.

Check out my European Delivery Journal!
European Delivery June 2018 – Germany / Austria / Italy / Switzerland
2018 340i xDrive / Alpine White / Coral Red / 704M / MPPSK / Gloss Black Kidney Grille
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 11:20 AM   #2
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

I used Ortel in 2015 and 2016. I used whatever house address I found on google map to activate the sim card.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 11:46 AM   #3
metallicpea
Major
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

Sign up with T-mobile. Data around Europe is free. Not 4g, but fast and reliable enough to do anything. You can use the phone you have probably, and sim card is like $15 when you sign up.

Or add a line to a friend's T-mobile account and cancel it when you get back.

I have had T-mobile for years and am very happy with their service, features and pricing.
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4481.50
      05-16-2018, 10:59 PM   #4
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicpea View Post
Sign up with T-mobile. Data around Europe is free. Not 4g, but fast and reliable enough to do anything. You can use the phone you have probably, and sim card is like $15 when you sign up.

Or add a line to a friend's T-mobile account and cancel it when you get back.

I have had T-mobile for years and am very happy with their service, features and pricing.
Was going to make same recommendation.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 12:44 AM   #5
bueller
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 EB F31 2018 LG F80

Garage List
I am also in Canada, crazy thing is that I use a US AT&T number with a vitelity Canadian local DID that forwards to my US cell number. All that is still half the price that it would cost me for a Canadian package with the same features. I pay U$55 / Month with AT&T and U$65 with T-Mobile and get (copied from the T-Mobie web site);

Unlimited talk, text, and data.
All on America’s best unlimited network.

Netflix at no extra charge.
Standard 2-screen subscription for almost any device, even TV.

Taxes & fees included.
No surprise fees on your monthly plan bill.

Texting & data abroad.
In 140+ countries and destinations.

Stream unlimited entertainment.
Video at DVD-quality, 480p.

In-flight texting + 1 hour of data.
On Gogo®-enabled flights to, from, or within the U.S.

Unlimited in Mexico & Canada.
Talk, text, and up to 5GB of 4G LTE data.

Mobile hotspot data included.
Keep all your devices connected at max 3G speeds.

As I am sure you are aware for anything close to this with Rogers Bell or Telus you would be paying well over C$120 / month when you don't get pounded in the ass by some crazy roaming, long distance, data overage charge, plus HST and whatever nonsense fees they can tack on.

I am doing European Delivery in July. I have done it twice before and bought sim cards in Germany, I found that not understanding the language as well as not understanding the jargon used by the German cell phone industry makes getting the right thing challenging. I do enjoy they call mobile phones Handys...

The first time in 2011 was a poo show as I ended up buying something that was next to useless, then replacing it with a Vodophone plan that worked okay, but it ended up costing me $100. In 2016, things went a little better, I figured out that what you want to do is buy a pay as you go sim or an associated carrier to a main carrier. For example, like AT&T Go Phone, this is helpful;

https://nomadtoolkit.com/travel/gett...m-vodafone-o2/

I have been with AT&T for 5 or so years, I called them to see if they had any international plans so that I could avoid the hassle of switching sim cards and figuring our service in Germany, they had nothing. Doing a bit of research, I found that, while $10 more a month, T-Mobile has $70 a plan called the ONE Plus where you can add a $25/Month ONE Plus package.

T-Mobiles website is awful, it is optimized for mobile browsers and contains vague and incomplete information. You are better calling them. The guy I talked to waived the activation fee, the cost of the sim card. I had to pay $3 shipping. There are places you can ship to in the US that will forward to you, or if you have a buddy in the US they can just put the sim card in an envelope for you.

Hope that helps!

Enjoy your European delivery, if you are near Berlin or Dusseldorf, don't forget to go here;

http://remise.de

Last edited by bueller; 05-23-2018 at 12:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 11:43 AM   #6
Kwando
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Thanks for all the input! I decided to go with one of these data only SIMs..I just got it a few days ago so fingers crossed it works.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/EE-4G-Mobile...53.m1438.l2649

Check out my European Delivery Journal!
European Delivery June 2018 – Germany / Austria / Italy / Switzerland
2018 340i xDrive / Alpine White / Coral Red / 704M / MPPSK / Gloss Black Kidney Grille
Appreciate 0